previous next

The New Arctic Expedition.
incidents of the Voyage.

The Boston Traveller has learned from Surgeon Longshaw, who returns on account of injury to his eyesight, some interesting incidents of the progress of Dr. Hayes'Arctic Expedition:

‘ Crossing the Arctic circle.

At 10 A. M. on the 30th of July the "United States" passed Sukkertoppen (Sugarloaf top) a Danish settlement on the coast of Greenland, and at 10 o'clock that evening ceremonies incident to crossing the Arctic Circle--66 deg. 30 min.-- took place on board. Neptune and his Myrmidons received the customary tribute of those entering the Frigid Zones for the first time. He was courteously received with a salute, the ensign and pendant were run up, and after his departure the evening was passed in joyous amusements, both fore and aft.

When nearing Egedesminde, on the 21st, the wind was better than common, and it was determined to go on to Proven, where there was a probability of finding the Danish brig which annually sails thence in August to Copenhagen. At this time, over a dozen whales, both sperm and fin-back, were seen, and many icebergs, upon one of which Commander Hayes ran his vessel, by way of experiment, to test her strength. The little craft withstood the shock admirably. Daylight now prevailed throughout the twenty-four hours. The sun set at 10.30 P. M., and rose at 2.40 A. M., twilight continuing so that the voyagers wrote out their journals at midnight without the aid of lamps.

A sensation day.

Wednesday, August 1, was a fine day, with no lack of sensation for the ship's company.--At 10 in the morning the shore of Disco Island was about five miles off, and visible for the length of thirty miles north and south. The high mountain peaks, their tops hidden in the clouds, and seemingly reaching to the sky above; the mountain sides covered with snow and the dazzling glaciers, constituted a glorious scene; and still more so was it in the gorgeous lights and shades of sunset. At noon forty-seven icebergs were counted on the port side of the vessel. One monster resembled a Mississippi steamboat loaded with cotton, only much magnified; another looked like a house, the gable and toward the spectator; another bore a very striking resemblance to the Coliseum at Rome; another was like a quadrangular fort with its cannon mounted and its sentries on duty; another sailed majestically on like a square-rigged ship; and others, in which the imagination discovered animals, buildings, castles, cattle-deals and a thousand vagaries of form. When off Omenak Fiord, at 7 P. M., eighty-nine icebergs were counted across the mouth of that sound, and there were over 140 in sight to the westward. These came from a mer de glace in the interior, though some of the young gentlemen averred that there was a steam factory constantly engaged in their manufacture, which statement was favored by the fact that on the borders of the "fiord" was a large coal mine.

On Saturday, August 4, the sun did not set upon the expedition. This was the first night in which they had entire sunlight. The sky being cloudless, the sun was seen the entire night, first to pass slowly in a circle to the northward, and then eastward, till it began to rise again.

The expedition was becalmed several days off "Svorte Hook," but at length reached a point within sight of the low islands beneath Sanderson's Hope, a great landmark for Arctic navigators. At this time a scene of sublimity was witnessed. The coast, for miles on either hand to the north and south, was plainly visible. Cliffs, high or low land, mountains and inlets, were seen in the distance, while around the vessel floated thousands of icebergs. In the intervals between the heavy reports and roar of falling or turning icebergs, the noise of the surf or sea beating against each of the many bergs was distinctly heard, sounding as a distant Niagara, or a near small water fall, so continuous was the noise. The greater part of the time the crushing and crumbling of the bergs in turning over and coming in collision with each other, or of detached pieces falling, or a glacier parting from its mer de glace and rolling down a thousand feet into the sea, kept up a terrific cannonade.

arrival at Proven.

At 11 o'clock Sunday night, August 5, when the vessel lay becalmed about 15 miles from Proven, Mr. Sontag, the only man on board, besides the cook, who could speak the Danish language, left the vessel and was rowed to the shore, where he arrived about 3 o'clock in the morning. He awoke the Danish officials, through whose assistance he procured boats, manned by Esquimaux, and after an absence of twenty-three hours, returned to the schooner. The arrival of the Esquimaux, male and female, they being the first natives seen by the ship's company, created quite a sensation.

The Esquimaux Pilot.

The pilot, the only one of them who could speak any English, was a half breed Dane.--He spoke but a few words, which he stammered out, accompanied by a spasmodic action of his right leg and arm, similar to a dancing Jack. He wore reindeer skin boots, seal skin half breeches, a colored cloth overshirt with a hood at the back, and a fur cap without any visor. He was greasy and dirty both in clothes and person, but he had an intelligent countenance. After the boatmen had taken some refreshment, they towed the "United States" into Proven harbor, where she remained seven days.

The expedition made the island of Disco in twenty-one days from Boston, which is probably the shortest passage ever made. They were greeted at Proven by a salute fired by order of the Deputy Governor, which was answered by Commander Hayes. The rocks were covered with Esquimaux in their best attire, and picturesque indeed they looked in their many-colored costumes. The vessel was soon surrounded by "hyaks" -- the singular canoe of the Esquimaux. To one of the natives was given a piece of salt pork if he would turn over in his hyak in the water. He did so very quickly.

The stay at Proven.

The stay of the expedition at Proven was quite pleasant. The cargo was all broke out and removed in boats to the shore, whence it was re-stowed on board. The ship's company were assisted by forty or fifty Esquimaux.--They worked hard all day, and gave their nights to jollity, attending balls, parties and feasts, given in their honor by the natives.--The Danish official rendered Dr. Hayes and his officers every service in their power, and the usual courtesies passed between them.--Numerous presents were made to the Danes of delicacies for the table, in return for which they sent fur garments, which were of better quality and make than any that could be bought.

Death of the Carpenter and Accidents.

On the following day, while the expedition was on the way to Uppernavik, Gibson C. Carruthers, a native of South Carolina, and the carpenter of the expedition, died in his berth from apoplexy. He was in the first Grinnell Expedition under Dr. Haven. He was about thirty-one years of age. The expedition reached Uppernavik August 14th, and on the following morning his body was buried. The funeral was attended by the officers and crew of the United States, and also by the Danish officials. The service was performed by Mr. Alten, the missionary, the chapel bell tolling during the ceremony.

While answering the Governor's salute, at Uppernavik, the gun on board the United States burst, injuring one of the men severely.

About the 3d of August, early one morning, a block fell from the fore yard, and striking the cook, a Dane, on the head, fractured his skull, severed an artery and knocked him senseless to the deck. He was conveyed below and his wounds dressed. Preparations were now made for entering the ice. The schooner was out of water twenty-one inches more than when she left Boston harbor, having been lightened, adding greatly to her sailing qualities. Dr. Hayes procured forty dogs, secured the services of six Esquimaux, and hired Mr. Jansen, the assistant of the Danish Governor in charge of the station of Tessuissak, and the only white man in the place.

Plans for the future, Btc.

Commander Hayes intended to leave Tessuissak about the 28th of August, bound up Smith Sound, on the west side, in order to attain as high a latitude as is possible before winter sets in. Dr. Kane went up on the east side, but Dr. Hayes expects to find the western shore more free from ice. Having attained perhaps 80 degrees, he would, during the mouth of October, carry two boats and a quantity of provisions to some point about two hundred miles north-northwest, which he hopes to accomplish before the long winter's night sets in. In April, or as soon as it is light enough, he will start for the depot, and thence over the ice toward the Pole, carrying the boats to, and launching them upon the open sea, should he find it; if not, he would go over the ice as rapidly and as far as possible.

All the ship's company, officers and men, were in excellent health and spirits, and enthusiastic about the result of the expedition. Dr. Hayes enjoys the confidence and affection of all on board, and has displayed those qualities of intrepidity and coolness in times of danger which are so requisite for success. An incident occurred the night before leaving Proven, which illustrates the strong bond of sympathy between Dr. H. and his associates.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Hayes (8)
Sontag (1)
Neptune (1)
Longshaw (1)
Kane (1)
Jansen (1)
Gofney Jack (1)
Haven (1)
English (1)
Dane (1)
Gibson C. Carruthers (1)
Alten (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
May, 8 AD (1)
April, 8 AD (1)
March, 8 AD (1)
January, 8 AD (1)
October (1)
August 28th (1)
August 14th (1)
August (1)
July 30th (1)
April (1)
21st (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: