previous next

The Franklin street shooting affair — close of the investigation.--the accused sent on for examination.

--On Saturday morning, after having disposed of some minor matters which are elsewhere noticed, the Mayor resumed the investigation of the charge against Mrs. Isabela Ould, of shooting her paramour, R. H. Meade, on the 22d of September last. Mrs. Ould was present, accompanied by her counsel, Marmaduke Johnson, Esq., and Colonel G. D. McIntosh, and a number of acquaintances — both male and female — who appeared to testify in the case.--The witnesses of the previous day were called, and the following testimony was elicited for the Commonwealth:

Mrs. Delilah Sales testified that she had been acquainted with Mrs. Ould between six and seven years, and had always found her to be a lady. She lived with her for nine months. Her husband and mine had occasional words together; but with that exception we got along very well. In the year 1860, she and Mr. Ould left for Danville, and returned in 1861.--Stayed with me two weeks, and then commenced housekeeping in Sidney. I visited her, and was there introduced to Meade. She sold out with the intention of going to the North, but gave up the idea, and went to board with Mrs. Minter, on Third street, where I visited her. Afterwards she bought a place on Foushee street, and commenced keeping a boarding house. She sold out, and went to live with Mrs. Willett; continuing all the time to visit my house. Subsequent to this she went to board with Mrs. Miller, and went afterwards to live with Mrs. Baumann, on Twentieth street. Came back to Mrs. Miller's, where she was very ill. On her recovery she rented an establishment from Mr. Fisher, and set up a restaurant. Visited her there a great many times. This was in November; 1864. Saw Meade there frequently. Heard Mrs. Ould say in Meade's presence that they were to be married; were going to Alexandria, and that witness must come and see them. Mrs. Ould showed her a locket, that Meade had given her, with their likenesses in it. Up to last of April I had been at work for Mrs. Ould. She wanted witness to make her wedding clothes, but having a sick child, could not do it. She got some one else to do the work. Never saw Mrs. Ould but once after that, when she was riding on the hill in an open buggy. Knew nothing more of the affair.

Cross-examined by Mr. Johnson.--The invitation to witness to visit them in Alexandria was given in the small restaurant in Meade's presence. The locket exhibited here is the one shown by Mrs. Ould. It was taken after she left Foushee street. Made some under garments for Meade, and was paid for them by Mrs. Ould. She is an industrious woman, and supported the family. Mrs. Ould was the active business person of the family. She sold a large number of things — jewelry and wearing apparel--to keep Meade up. Never saw him employed in any work. It was in April, after the fall of Richmond, that Mrs. Ould wanted witness to make up her wedding clothes.

To the Mayor.--Mrs. Ould's husband left her in 1863. He came from Atlanta, Ga., and said he was going to run the blockade, and wanted her to meet him there.

James D. Browne testified that he knew Meade at the Arsenal for three years, during the war. Saw Mrs. Ould there frequently, and he would go out to see her.

No other witnesses answered for the Commonwealth, and the Mayor announced that the testimony on that side was closed.

The witnesses for the defence were then sworn.

Henry L. Hartshorn testified that he was an officer in Castle Thunder at the time of Mrs. Ould's arrest, and saw marks of violence upon her neck. Visited Meade and told him he had a letter from Mrs. Ould, and Meade said he did not want to see Mrs. Ould or hear from her. He afterwards took the letter and read it. It was about some money and a watch.--Did not recollect that Meade said anything about not wanting Mrs. Ould prosecuted.

Clifford I. Rogers testified that, on the night of the 22d of September , as he was closing up his place, he heard the report of a pistol, and going across the street, saw Meade, Mrs. Ould and a private watchman. Meade was wounded. Found that Mrs. Ould had a bruise on her forehead. She said he had been abusing her. Went to the doctor's, and found Meade lying on a sofa. Mrs. Ould came in, and asked to be forgiven, and he forgave her. She supplied him with money, and also gave him a with and chain. Meade asked Mr. Fleming and myself to do all we could for Mrs. Ould, as she was no more to blame than he was. She appeared to be very much excited, and witness did not think she knew what she was doing. From daily observations, saw that Mrs. Ould was a very industrious woman.

W. L. Fleming testified that he knew nothing about the shooting. He heard the conversation at Dr. White's office, just related by Mr. Rogers. He had given a correct recital of it. Thought there was a bruise upon her forehead at the time.

George Shenly testified that Mrs. Ould lived up stairs over the shop where he was employed. Was well acquainted with Meade and Mrs. Ould. She told witness on the Monday of the evacuation that she had saved a thousand dollars in Confederate money, and asked if she had not better get a suit of clothes for Meade. She told witness on two or three occasions that they were going to be married. Mrs. Ould attended to most of the business. Meade was generally there.

Edward Smith testified that he was in Mrs. Ould's house on the night on which the shooting affair occurred, between 6 and 7 o'clock. Thought, from her appearance, that she had been crying, and left for home. Mrs. Ould seemed to be the proprietor of the place.

Mrs. Gill testified that after Mrs. Ould's wedding clothes were made she did them up. She told witness that she and Meade were going to be married. This was in May last. Had known Mrs. Ould for some time, and always found her to be a hard-working, industrious woman.

William Blackburn testified that he was in the court-house yesterday when Meade was on examination. He read the testimony in regard to himself in the morning papers. Had frequently been in their house, and always thought Mrs. Ould was Meade's wife. Went there in August, in a carriage, and took Meade out to ride. In about two weeks from this time Meade proposed that we take a buggy ride, and have Mrs. Ould go with them. Appointed a day, but could not go. Went there afterwards in a carriage, and asked Meade to go, but he declined: Then asked Mrs. Ould to go, and he gave his consent. She went, and after doing some shopping, returned. Visited the house frequently afterwards, and on one occasion Meade asked witness if he was a married man. Told him he was. About two weeks before the shooting affair occurred, had a dispute with Mrs. Ould, and ceased to visit the house. There was never any proposition made on her part, or that of witness, to marry or go away. In this respect Meade's testimony was false.

Miss Alice Gill testified that she was at Mrs. Ould's about 5 o'clock on the evening of the shooting. Asked Mr. Meade where she was, and he said she was up stairs. Saw him go down stairs, and she called him to return.--He did so, and witness then asked her for a basket. Did not go farther than the head of the steps. Saw no one there except Mrs. Ould and Meade.

Cyrus W. Andrews said he was the sergeant on duty at Castle Thunder when Mrs. Ould was arrested. Saw that Mrs. Ould had marks on her throat, as if some one had choked her. There was also a small bruise over her eye.--Took a letter over to Meade for Mrs. Ould, and saw him lying upon the bed. Told witness that he would be obliged to appear against Mrs. Ould, though he had no hard feelings in the matter. The marks on her throat and over the eye were very distinct. The bruise over the eye appeared to have been infected by some hard substance.

Meade here made an effort to introduce a letter, written by Mrs. Ould for him, to his niece, in Alexandria, requesting her to come on and wait upon the young lady to whom he was to have been married. Objection being made by the counsel for the defence, it was not read.

Another letter, written by Mrs. Ould to Meade while she was in Castle Thunder — entreating his forgiveness; that she had no other friend in the world: that she did not know what she was doing when she fired the shot, and begging him to continue to be her friend; that she was a poor, unhappy, lost woman, when she could have been better, and all she asked of him was to befriend her once more — was introduced by Meade and read by Mr. Johnson. The letter exhibited a most extraordinary degree of affection on her part for Meade, whom she constantly addressed as "Dear Bob."

Mr. Johnson read a number of letters written by Meade to Mrs. Ould, addressed to his "Dear Is," and couched in the most affectionate language.

Joseph McCoy testified that he knew Mrs. Ould and Meade. Meade's statements in regard to the intimacy between Mrs. Ould and himself were false. She always acted towards him as a lady. Witness was never in her bed chamber before last Monday night, when he took supper with her and Mr. and Mrs. Matthews. He never made any proposition to her, nor she to him, about going away together.

James Jones, one of the late military police, testified that he saw Mrs. Ould shoot Meade on Franklin street, and he attempted to knock the pistol out of her hand with his club. Struck her on the head and made a small bruise. Her condition after the affair was that of one on the verge of insanity. She was very much excited. When he entered Mrs. Ould's room the bed clothing was well arranged and in good order.

This closed the testimony for the defence.--Mr. Johnson then made an application for bail. He said that the testimony had proved the most extraordinary friendship on the part of the accused for Meade, on which, considering his personal appearance and general accomplishments, he could not compliment her very highly. Meade had evidently perjured himself, as had been proved by the testimony of respectable witnesses. He was but slightly hurt by the shot, as had been proved by his physician. He therefore felt quite confident that his Honor would not consider it a case of felony, but admit Mrs. Ould to bail in a reasonable sum.

The Mayor stated that Mrs. Ould was first arraigned before Judge McEntee, and admitted to bail, for what cause he did not exactly know. When the case was first brought before him, as Mayor, he did not think it proper to deny her the same privilege. But having now heard the testimony, he did not think it a bailable case, and therefore remanded Mrs. Ould to jail, to be examined before the Hustings Court on the second Monday in January upon a charge of felony.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Sydney (Ohio, United States) (1)
Danville (Virginia, United States) (1)
Atlanta (Georgia, United States) (1)
hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
September 22nd (2)
April (2)
November, 1864 AD (1)
1863 AD (1)
1861 AD (1)
1860 AD (1)
August (1)
May (1)
January (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: