|Summary:||Settlement site with important Neolithic levels.|
Early Bronze Age
Middle Bronze Age
Late Bronze Age
An artificial mound (or magoula) of over 11 m of occupation deposits on the N bank of the Peneios ca. 4 km W of Larissa.
The site was first settled in the Aceramic Neolithic and continued to be occupied throughout the Neolithic and Bronze Ages. The mound served as the acropolis of Mycenaean Argissa and Classical Argyra. The Classical city spread to the plateau below. Two concentric fortification walls (the inner wall dating perhaps to the Archaic period) encircled the Hellenistic city.
German excavations directed by V. Milojcic; 1955-1958, 1969.