Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 7. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for 22nd or search for 22nd in all documents.

Your search returned 17 results in 13 document sections:

1 2
vement is one of the most remarkable occurring in the annals of war, and justly ranks among the highest examples of military energy and perseverance. On the twenty-second, receiving a communication from Admiral Porter, informing me that he would attack the enemy at Grand Gulf on the following morning, and requesting me to send athe gunboats in carrying into effect the purpose mentioned. In prompt execution of my order, General Osterhaus embarked his division during the night of the twenty-second, but Admiral Porter informing me in the morning, that the enemy was in much stronger force than he first supposed, and that more extensive preparations on the l-all have been active and eminently useful in their respective spheres of duty. Lieutenant-Colonel Warmoth, while by my side, during the assault of the twenty-second ultimo, was severely wounded. Lieutenants Haine, Chief Engineer of the corps, McComas, Jayne, and Mason, have commended themselves by ability, activity, and dili
se permitted us to accumulate stores at that point. When the march was again resumed, our wagons with a replenished stock continued to follow in the rear of the column. Dr. Alex. McDonald, who was temporarily in charge of our station at Acquia, as soon as he had reported the removal of our stores from that point, rejoined the corps in the field. I quote from his report a resume of our operations with the army, until it crossed the Potomac at Edwards's Ferry. On Monday, the twenty-second instant, (June,) two wagons loaded with hospital stores, in care of Messrs. Bush and Scandlin, and accompanied by Mr. Bellows, were sent to Fairfax Court-House; on Tuesday, another load, accompanied by Messrs. Hoag, Paige, Holbrook, and myself, proceeded to the same point, arriving at four P. M., and on Wednesday, a mule train with forage was sent in charge of Mr. Clampitt. Our intention was to leave one wagon with relief agent and storekeeper at Fairfax, to send a similar force to Centre
lorida in Mobile at the close of 1862. He describes her as a small sloop-of-war, eight rifled guns, and one hundred and twenty men. January sixteenth, left Mobile Bay with steam and every sail set to topmast studding sail, making fourteen and a half knots. On the seventeenth, at daylight, saw a big sloop — of war, supposed to be the Brooklyn, which passed within half a mile, showed three lights, and passed to the northward. Nineteenth, burned brig Estella. Early on the morning of the twenty-second, left Havana and steamed to the eastward; burned the brig Windward, letting the crew go in a small boat. Off Cardenas light burned the Corris Ann, and she drifted into Cardenas harbor. Thirty-first, was chased by a Federal gunboat, but had the heels of her. February twelfth, captured the clipper ship Jacob Bell; showed the Yankee flag in hailing her, and burned her on the thirteenth. March sixth, captured the ship Star of Peace, and burned her at four P. M. Thirteenth, captured the scho
trenches with the same zeal, believing it unnecessary, that they did after their failure to carry the enemy's works. Accordingly on the twenty-first orders were issued for a general assault on the whole line, to commence at ten A. M. on the twenty-second. All the corps commanders set their time by mine, that there should be no difference between them in movement of assault. Promptly at the hour designated, the three army corps then in front of the enemy's works commenced the assault. I hadenth the division of General Blair and a brigade of General Sherman's division assaulted what was thought to be a weak place in the enemy's line of defence, but which proved to be immensely strong, and which repelled the little force. On the twenty-second a more concerted attack was ordered by General Grant, and the whole line was bombarded by cannon. At an early hour the left, under McClernand, had gained a foothold in two of the enemy's forts. Had the attack been made in column, or had our
the road at nine P. M., followed by Steedman's division; next Negley's division was to withdraw at ten P. M., then Reynolds's after. Reynolds's and McCook's corps, by division, left to right, moving within supporting distance, one after the other. Brannan's division was posted at six A. M. on the road about half-way between Rossville and Chattanooga, to cover the movement. The troops were withdrawn in a quiet orderly manner, without the loss of a single man, and by seven A. M. of the twenty-second, were in the position in front of Chattanooga, which had been assigned to them previous to their arrival, and which they now occupy, covered by strong intrenchments, thrown up on the day of our arrival, and strengthened from day to day until they were considered sufficiently strong for all defensive purposes. It affords me, great pleasure to refer to the reports of the various division and brigade commanders for the names of those distinguished for bravery and good conduct. Very resp
nsued of two and a half hours duration, with a loss of thirty killed and forty wounded on our side. At night, in pursuance of an order of recall from General Gardner, our forces fell back within the fortifications. At the same time Colonel Powers's cavalry, some three hundred strong, were engaged on the Baton Rouge and Bayou Sara road, a mile and a half or two miles from Colonel Miles. No communication has been had with them since, and their loss is unknown. On the morning of the twenty-second, the enemy pushed his infantry forward within a mile of our breastworks, and at the same time it was reported by the cavalry scouts that General Banks, who had recently completed his Teche campaign, was landing troops at Bayou Sara, (twelve miles above,) and moving in the direction of Port Hudson. From Saturday the twenty-third, to Tuesday the twenty-sixth, inclusive, the enemy was engaged in taking his position for the investment of our works. This being completed, on the morning of t
Captain S. Wells, Lieutenant Tubbs, and Lieutenant W. B. Smith represent my command on Colonel Saunders's staff. With much respect, G. S. Warner, Lieut.-Colonel Commanding Eighth Michigan Cavalry. Official report of Colonel Hill. headquarters Second brigade Ohio militia, Zanesville, Ohio, July 24, 1863. To His Excellency David Tod, Governor of Ohio: By order of Colonel Benjamin B. Runkle, commanding division Ohio militia, I left Scott's Landing on the morning of the twenty-second instant, with a portion of my brigade, for the purpose of intercepting Morgan's forces on the Muskingum River, at any point where he might attempt to cross. His movements during the day, as indicated by my scouts, led me to suspect he would attempt to cross at Beverly, or at some other point between that place and McConnellsville — most probably at Windsor. Placing guards at the fords, and covering my entire front with scouts, I landed my main force at Windsor for the night. At an early h
e excitement, were lying about, regardless of calico, and accosting every officer they met for assistance. The excitement was growing in intensity, and business accumulating in an equal ratio. It was concluded best by the General, to avoid trouble and perplexity, to return to camp, and orders were issued for a departure on the following morning. On the twentieth, the whole command moved out as far as Bell Factory. On the following day, General Mitchell came to Fayetteville; Colonel Galbraith, with the First Middle Tennessee, was sent to Shelbyville to rid the country of bushwhackers, and to recruit; while the balance of the command moved on to Salem. The expedition brought into camp, on the twenty-second, between five and six hundred negroes, and one thousand horses and mules. It is common to represent that expeditions prove entire successes; but this brought along the evidence, and it is so patent that it is unnecessary to mention that flattering success attended it.
e by Lieutenant William Davis, who immediately introduced the gentleman to me. I of course had him well cared for, with the others of his command who fell into my hands as prisoners. I fed my horses and rested at Weems's Springs until noon, when I started for Franklin, Tennessee, where I arrived with my command soon after dark on the nineteenth instant. Here I turned Major Dick McCann and prisoners over to the Provost-Marshal, and rested my men and horses until the afternoon of the twenty-second instant, when I, with my company, departed for Nashville, arriving there about eight o'clock P. M., without the loss of a single man or horse. Too much praise cannot be bestowed on Captain Mackey, and the officers and men of his company, also to First Lieutenant William Davis, and men of my company, for their gallant behavior throughout the entire expedition, having travelled one hundred and five miles in less than twenty-four hours. I have the honor to be, Captain, Very respectfull
ir: In obedience to orders from Colonel R. R. Livingston, of the seventeenth instant, (he then commanding the post of Pilot Knob,) I moved with a detachment of my regiment from this point on the eighteenth instant, from Greenville, to form a junction with a battalion from Cape Girardeau. I arrived at Greenville at noon on the twentieth instant, and had to remain there till the evening of the twenty-first, for the troops from the Cape. When they joined me on the morning of Thursday, the twenty-second, I moved with the whole force, about six hundred strong, for Pocahontas, Arkansas, by as rapid marches as the extreme heat of the weather and the condition of my stock would permit, and arrived at Pocahontas, Arkansas, on Saturday evening, the twenty-fourth instant. When I was in four miles of Pocahontas, I ascertained that Brigadier-General Jeff Thompson was there with little or no force. My column was then scattered over several miles, from the extreme rapidity of my march. Being
1 2