Your search returned 141 results in 75 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 4., The battle of the Petersburg crater. (search)
you are wounded, General, aren't you? was the inquiry. My leg is shattered all to pieces, said he. Then you can't sit up, they urged; you'll have to lie down. Oh, no! exclaimed the general, it's only my cork leg that's shattered!--W. H. P. and 1652 men of the Ninth Corps were captured, the remainder retiring to our own lines, to which the enemy did not attempt to advance. In the engagements of the 17th and 18th of June, in order to obtain the position held by the Ninth Corps at the time oofficers to draw some of their men off at intervals for two or three days at a time. In the engagement of July 30th the four divisions of the Ninth Corps had 52 officers and 376 men killed; 105 officers and 1556 men wounded; and 87 officers and 1652 men captured,--total, 3828. Relics in the crater Museum. 1. Musket-barrel with bullet-hole at the muzzle. 2. Musket burst by two bullets meeting in the barrel, a bullet having entered the muzzle as the gun was discharged. 3. Musket struck b
radock disposed of his large estate, and to trace how it came into the hands of Medford settlers. Mr. Cradock's widow, Rebecca, married Richard Glover, who, March 1, 1644, rented to Edward Collins one-half of his land in Medford in New England; viz., houses, edifices, buildings, barns, stables, out-houses, lands, tenements, meadows, pastures, findings, woods, highways, profits, commodities, and appurtenances. Mr. Cradock's widow married her third husband, Rev. Benj. Whitchcot, D. D., in 1652. Damaris, Mr. Cradock's daughter, married Thomas Andrews, leather-seller, of London. Samuel, his brother, was clerk of Chapleton, and had three sons. By instruments, dated June 2 and Sept. 6, 1652, they quit-claim to Mr. Collins all that messuage, farm, or plantation, called Meadford in New England by them owned. Aug. 20, 1656: Mr. Collins, after residing twelve years on his farm in Medford, sells to Richard Russell of Charlestown, sixteen hundred acres of it, with his mansion-house and
Court ordered, that, from and after the 1st of September next, and no longer, the money hereafter appointed and expressed shall be the current money of this Commonwealth, and no other, unless English (except the receivers consent thereunto). Thus 1652 saw our fathers coining money without the consent of the king, to whom alone belonged the constitutional right of so doing. The building erected for the mint was sixteen feet square and ten feet high. Such an edifice surely could not deserve tuent rates which were soon after established with respect to church and state expenses. The first rule enacted by the Legislature was in 1646. This was twenty-pence a poll, and one penny on a pound, for the State. Sterling was the currency till 1652, when the pine-tree coin, called New England currency, was introduced. This new coin was six shillings and eightpence less than the English pound sterling, and was so made to keep it in the country. The earliest payments were made in money; bu
appointed to the various town-offices. In 1660, he, with his son-in-law, Timothy Wheeler, bought four hundred acres of land in Medford, for four hundred and four pounds sterling, which he owned at the time of his death. His farm in Medford was bought of Edward Collins, and thus probably a part of the great Cradock estate. He sold his farm in Concord, Oct. 22, 1664; and he died there, May 21, 1667. His wife was Grace----, who died May 12, 1664. His children were--  1-2Joshua, b. freeman, 1652; m. Han. Mason, of Watertown.  3Caleb, b. 1632; freeman, 1654.  4Gershom, freeman, 1672; m. Hannah Eckles.  5Mary, m. Tim. Wheeler, of Concord. (According to Mr. Shattuck, probably others.) 1-3CALEB Brooks lived at Concord until 1679. He m., successively, the two daus. of Thomas Atkinson; viz., Susannah, Apr. 10, 1660; 2d, Hannah. He removed to Medford, where he inherited some land lying east from the Wear Bridge. His house was situated about mid-way between the bridge and the Lowe
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Berkeley, Sir William, (search)
d his exiled son as their sovereign, and Berkeley proclaimed him King of Virginia. Sir William administered the government tinder a commission sent by Charles from his place of exile (Breda, in Flanders). Virginia was the last territory belonging to England that submitted to the government of the republicans on the downfall of monarchy. This persistent attachment to the Stuarts offended the republican Parliament, and they sent Sir George Ayscue with a strong fleet, early in the spring of 1652, to reduce the Virginians to submission. The fleet bore commissioners authorized to use harsh or conciliatory measures — to make a compromise, or to declare the freedom of the slaves of the royalists, put arms in their hands, and make war. The commissioners were met with firmness by Berkeley. Astonished by the boldness of the governor and his adherents, they deemed it more prudent to compromise than to attempt coercion. The result was, the political freedom of the colonists was guaranteed
Boer, A Dutch term meaning farmer. given to the descendants of the Holland emigrants to the Cape of Good Hope in 1652. They gradually extended civilization over a wide territory. The British acquired the settlement in 1796 as a fruit of war. In 1803 it was restored to the Dutch, but in 1806 was again seized by the British. In the Congress of Vienna (1814) Holland formally ceded it to Great Britain. This settlement became known as Cape Colony. A large majority of the Boers moved north in 1835-36, a number settling in the region which afterwards became known as the Orange Free State, and the remainder in the present colony of Natal. The settlers in the latter region stayed there until Great Britain took possession of it in 1843, when they removed farther north, and organized the South African, or, as it has been generally called, the Transvaal, Republic. In 1877 the South African Republic was annexed by the British government; in 1880 the Boers there rose in revolt: in 1881
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Clap, Roger 1609-1691 (search)
Clap, Roger 1609-1691 Pioneer; born in Salcomb, England, April, 1609; settled in Dorchester, Mass., with Maverick and others in 1630; was representative of the town in 1652-66, and also held a number of military and civil offices. In 1665-86 he was captain of Castle William. He wrote a memorial of the New England worthies, and other Memoirs, which were first published in 1731 by Rev. Thomas Prince, and later republished by the Historical Society of Dorchester. He died in Boston, Mass., Feb. 2, 1691.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Coinage, United States (search)
words New England on the other. The silver was alloyed a quarter below the English standard, with the expectation that the debasement would prevent the coin leaving the country. Thus the pound currency of New England came to be one-fourth less than the pound sterling of Great Britain; and this standard was afterwards adopted by the British Parliament for all the English American colonies. The mint-house in Boston existed about thirty-four years. All the coins issued from it bore the dates 1652 or 1662, the same dies being used, probably, throughout the thirty-four years of coining. Some coins had been made in Bermuda for the use of the Virginia colony as early as 1644. Copper coins bearing the figure of an elephant were struck in England for the Carolinas and New England in 1694. Coins were also struck for Maryland, bearing the effigy of Lord Baltimore. In 1722-23, William Wood obtained a royal patent for coining small money for the English plantations in America. He made i
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Cornwaleys, or Cormwaleys, Thomas (search)
Cornwaleys, or Cormwaleys, Thomas pioneer; born about 1600; was one of the leaders in the establishment of the colony at St. Mary's. In 1635 he led a force against Claiborne, and in 1638, when Lord Baltimore sent out a code to be adopted by the General Assembly, he opposed it, alleging that the charter of the freemen gave them the right to enact their own laws. During 1638 he was made deputy governor; in 1642 was commissioned commander of an expedition against the Indians; in 1652 became a member of the general court; and in 1657, when the government was restored to Lord Baltimore, he was appointed assistant governor. He returned to England in 1659, and died there in 1676.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Cotton, John 1585-1652 (search)
Cotton, John 1585-1652 Clergyman; born in Derby, England, Dec. 4, 1585; became minister of St. Botolph's Church, Boston, Lincolnshire, about 1612, and remained there, a noted preacher and controversialist, for twenty years, constantly leaning towards Puritanism. For his non-conformity he was cited to appear before Archbishop Laud, when he fled to America, arriving in Boston in September, 1633. He was soon afterwards ordained a colleague with Mr. Wilson in the Boston Church. His ministry there for nineteen years was so influential that he has been called The patriarch of New England. He was a firm opponent of Roger Williams, and defended the authority of ministers and magistrates. He and Davenport were invited to assist in the assembly of divines at Westminster, but were dissuaded from going by Hooker. He died in Boston, Dec. 23, 1652. God's promise to his plantations.— The following sermon, to which a large historical importance has been given, was preached in England, a
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...