Your search returned 39 results in 13 document sections:

1 2
Horatio A. Smith,Assessors. Samuel Joyce, Henry Withington, John T. White,Overseers of the Poor. Benj. R. Teel, Alex. Gregg, Timothy Cotting,School Committee. Horatio A. Smith, Benj. R. Teel, Hosea Ballou, 2d, Henry Withington, J. M. Sanford, Chas. S. Jacobs, Alex. Gregg, Surveyor of Highways. John T. White,Constables. Elisha Tolman, Amos Hemphill, John T. White, Collector of Taxes. Eleazer Davis,Field Drivers. Willard Butters, Thos. Gillard, Pyam Cushing,Fence Viewers. R. Peck1834. Galen James1836. James O. Curtis1837. Galen James1838. Lewis Richardson1839. Thomas R. Peck1840. Alexander Gregg1841. Timothy Cotting1844. Alexander Gregg1845. Henry Withington1847. Peter C. Hall1849. James O. Curtis1850. PAlexander Gregg1845. Henry Withington1847. Peter C. Hall1849. James O. Curtis1850. Peter C. Hall1853. Benjamin H. Samson1855. Names of the treasurers. Stephen Willis1696. John Bradstreet1700. Samuel Wade1709. John Whitmore1714. William Willis1725. John Richardson1727. Edward Brooks1728. Samuel Brooks1729. Steph
3. Frederick A. Kendall1834. Timothy Cotting1834. John King1835. James O. Curtis1836. George W. Porter1837. Lewis Richardson1838. Leonard Bucknam1838. Alexander Gregg1840. Thatcher R. Raymond1843. Gorham Brooks1846. Joseph P. Hall1847. Thatcher R. Raymond1850. Joseph P. Hall1851. James M. Usher1852. Joseph P. Hall185pril 16, 1840. Abner BartlettOct. 1, 1840. Turell TuftsFeb. 22, 1842. Jonathan PorterDec. 17, 1842. Henry PorterJan. 5, 1843. Judah LoringFeb. 25, 1843. Alexander GreggFeb. 25, 1843. Dudley HallJune 3, 1843. John SparrellAug. 20, 1843. Thatcher MagounAug. 29, 1843. Jonathan BrooksJan. 1, 1844. Sanford B. PerryApril 24, 147. Abner BartlettOct. 12, 1847. James M. UsherJan. 1, 1850. Judah LoringFeb. 12, 1850. Aaron K. HathawayFeb. 12, 1850. Edmund T. HastingsFeb. 12, 1850. Alexander GreggFeb. 12, 1850. John SparrellJuly 19, 1850. Thatcher RaymondJan. 31, 1851. Timothy CottingApril 2, 1851. George W. PorterApril 21, 1852. T. P. SmithJune 7,
By examination of the books rescued from the fire of 1836 at Washington, it appears that the first office established in Medford was in September, 1797. The first office was on the spot now occupied by the town-house. The post-masters have been as follows:-- Samuel Buel,appointedSept. 1797 William Rogers, jun.,July 21, 1813 William Rogers,Oct. 20, 1818 Luther Angier,May 17, 1828 Samuel S. Green, jun.,April 6, 1839 Luther Angier,April 8, 1841 Samuel S. Green,July 19, 1845 Alexander Gregg,July 30, 1847 James T. Floyd, jun.,May 29, 1849 James C. Winneck (the present incumbent),Aug. 23, 1853 A post-office was established in West Medford in 1853, and its daily mail is an increasing benefit to a growing village. The first postmaster was James M. Sanford; the second, Thaddeus A. Baldwin; and the third, the present one, is Franklin Patch. Taverns. For more than a hundred years, all the land travel to Boston from Maine, from the eastern parts of New Hampshire, and
2-3Samuel Gregg m. Agnes Smiley, and had--   John.  3-4Hugh.   Samuel.   George.   Sarah.   Ann.   Mary.   Elizabeth. 3-4HUGH Gregg m. Sarah Leslie, and lived at New Boston, N. H., where he had--   Rosamund.   James.   Alexander.   Jane.   Hannah.   John.   Leslie.   Mary.   Reuben.   Ann.  4-5Samuel. 4-5Samuel Gregg m. Jane Wilson, and had--   Jane.   Elizabeth.   Mary.   Sarah.  5-6Alexander.  7Samuel.   He m., 2d, Lydia Bartlett, and had--  8James B. 5-6ALEXANDER Gregg m. Jane Moore Clark, of New Boston, N. H., Oct. 3, 1820; and had by her--  6-9Frances Anne.  10Robert Mack.  11Jane Wilson.   He removed to Medford in 1827. 5-7Samuel Gregg m. Ruth Wadsworth Richards, of New Boston, and had--  7-12Martha Dalton.  13Samuel W.  14Caroline A.  15Abby Maria.  16Jane A.  17Abby Trask. 5-8James B. Gregg m. Mary Bailey, of Newbury; and d. April 15, 1848, leaving one son,--  8-18James Bartlett.
, 13, 14. Fox, 36, 512. Francis family, 512. Francis, 36, 37, 194, 231, 258, 313, 326, 355, 388. Freeman's Oath, 98. Frost, 44. Frothingham, 44. Fulton, 514. Gardner, 4, 574. Garrett, 36, 42. Gibons, 37, 43, 73, 74. Gilchrist, 514. Gillegrove, 515. Glover, 41. Goodnow, 36. Goodwin, 44. Grace Church, 277. Graduates, 301. Graves, 13. Greatton, 515. Greene, 32, 36, 44. Greenland, 15, 36. Greenleaf family, 515. Greenleaf, 106. Gregg family, 516. Groves, 44, 517. Hall family, 517. Hall, 36, 51, 52, 96, 158, 317, 351, 501, 502, 570. Hammond, 44. Hancock, 202, 213, 527. Harris, 527. Hathaway, 527. Haywood, 36. Higginson, 12. Hill, 36. Historical Items, 478. History, Civil, 93. ------Ecclesiastical, 200. ------Military, 181. ------Natural 21. ------Political, 143. Hobart, 37. Holden, 52. Hosmer, 293, 302. Howard, 17. Howe family, 528. Hutchinson, 31, 200.
arvest of the Wilderness—soldiers' graves after the battle good many, and all the failures were not recorded upon the natural growth. In this sparsely settled region, but lately so populous, the dead occupants still outnumbered the living. The woods bordering the Orange Plank Road were thickly strewn with the mouldering bodies of Hancock's men who had furiously assailed Hill and Longstreet on that line. Here gallant old Webb, for whom taps have sounded, led his staunch brigade against Gregg's Texans and Low's Alabamans, almost up to the works, and the trefoil badges—the clover-leaves on the cap-fronts of the fallen covered the ground on the edge of the Widow Tapp's field where Lee attempted to lead the Texans' charge, and the men refused to go forward until he consented to go back. Cattle were quietly browsing the herbage in a little grass glade at this point, their pasture the aftermath of the grim harvest reaped there on that May morning long ago. To-day scarcely a trace
guise of an itinerant doctor while in the Federal lines, and called himself Dr. C. E. Coleman. In the Confederate army he was known as Captain C. E. Coleman, commander of General Bragg's private scouts. The scouts dressed as Confederate soldiers, so that in case of capture they would not be treated as spies. Nevertheless, the information they carried was usually put into cipher. Shaw was finally captured and sent to Johnson's Island. The command of the famous scouts devolved upon Alexander Gregg, who continued to sign despatches C. E. Coleman, and the Federal authorities never knew that the original leader of the daring band was in safe-keeping in Sandusky Bay. On April 7, 1864, President Davis, at Richmond, sent the New York herald headquarters in the field, 1863 The Confederate Secret Service worked through the Northern newspapers to an extent little appreciated. Without any disloyalty on the part of the newspaper men, this was necessarily the case. The North swarm
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., The development of the public School of Medford. (search)
1819Nov.-Nov. 1820Nathaniel Cogswell 1820Nov.-Feb. 1821William H. Furness1820from Medford 1821Feb.-Oct. 1822George W. Osborne1820from Bostonb. 1779 d. 1876 1821Nov.-July, 1826Luther Angier 1822Jan.-Feb. 1822Calvin Lincoln1820from Hingham 1823Jan.-Feb. 1823George W. Burnap1824from Merrimack 1827Jan.-June, 1827Jacob Gutterson 1827June-May, 1828William B. Duggan 1828May-Sept. 1832Amos P. Baker 1832Oct.-June, 1833Seth Pettee 1833June-May, 1834Thomas S. Harlow 1834May-April, 1835Alexander GreggHigh School established 1835 FromTo 1835May-Aug. 1838Benjamin F. Tweed 1838July-April, 1840James G. Foster 1840May-Nov. 1842Benjamin F. Gilman 1842Nov.-Aug. 1843Thomas Starr King 1843Aug.-Apr. 1846Aaron K. Hathaway High School in third School-house 1835-1844 1835May-Aug. 1835Charles Mason 835Aug.-Mch. 1836Luther Farrar 1836April-Feb. 1841Daniel H. Forbes 1841Mch.-April, 1844Isaac Ames 1844April-Sept. 1844M. T. Gardner The easterly section of the town, whose early am
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 4., Some Unpublished School reports. (search)
veral years to come.— With these views, your Committee recommend as a matter of expediency to admit no scholars to the public schools, under five years of age.— Galen James, School Com. Samuel Gregg, School Com. James O. Curtis, School Com. Alexander Gregg, School Com. Martin Burridge, School Com. Medford, Nov. 7, 1840. Report of School Committee, accepted March 7, 1842. The School Committee report: That they have given earnest attention to their arduous trust. The experience of lars. And they would suggest that some of them are too small for convenience and comfort. To meet the expenses of the Schools for the present year the Committee recommend the appropriation of $3,200. All which is respectfully submitted. Alexander Gregg, School Committee. C. Stetson, School Committee. H. Ballou, 2d, School Committee. Jos. W. Mitchell, School Committee. Benj. Moore, School Committee. John W. Bacon, School Committee. A. R. Baker. School Committee. Medford, March 7, 1842
but has been rebuilt and still runs and hums as of old. There was Mr. Clough, who did coopering in a shop back of his house at the corner of Sables court. James Ford, who had a mould shop near his large house. Beyond this, Aaron Blanchard's, Mr. Wheeler's, and Calvin Turner's. Then you came to Gravelly creek wriggling its way over marshy land to the mill pond; it was crossed by a wooden bridge. Just above where the railroad crosses the street, on the left were Alexander Gregg's stables. Mr. Gregg was a prominent man in town affairs, having been a butcher, then a schoolmaster, then doing a large business teaming. He served in town offices and in the Legislature. The last house on the right, gambrel-roofed, is the old Blanchard house, now occupied by daughter and granddaughter of Mr. Gilbert Blanchard, who bought the place of Mr. Dudley Hall. Here for several years Mrs. Buckman kept a private school for boys and girls. Mr. Blanchard kept a grocery store in the brick building, cor
1 2