and its largest average attendance, 90, in 1881.
Rev. Edward C. Hood of Hingham was installed September 13, 1882, by a coer McKenzie, D. D., of Cambridge, preached the sermon.
Mr. Hood applied himself to the duties of his position with energymmittee, with liberty to add to their number.
They added Mr. Hood, and sent him to the Old South Society, Boston, from whomest attendance in 1888, 206; its largest average 162.
Mr. Hood resigned in January, 1889, to take an indefinite period oposite the present meetinghouse.
This house, occupied by Mr. Hood and Mr. Stebbins during their pastorates, was constructed in accordance with plans suggested by Mr. Hood.
On March 4, 1903, our meeting-house was burned, and we were again facing Sunday morning, January 8, 1905, former pastors Cutter and Hood taking part, with sermon by Rev. Edward C. Moore, D. D., prest in service in the Conference; Revs. M. M. Cutter and E. C. Hood, former pastors; Revs. A. W. Ackerman and F. G. Clark, f
nd and others.
Upon the completion of the new and present church building this bell was placed in its tower.
In 1884 the West Medford Congregational Church, by persistent effort, succeeded in paying a burdensome debt, and several gentlemen, not of the church, were moved thereby to assist in the procuring of a bell therefor.
It came from the Blake foundry in Boston and weighed 2,025 lbs. Instead of the society's corporate name, the inscription was Harvard Avenue Church, West Medford, Edward C. Hood, Pastor, 1884.
Hitherto the Lord hath helped us.
On March 4, 1903, the church was destroyed by fire and the bell broken by its fall.
To the city of Troy, N. Y., it was sent to the hotter fires of the bell foundry.
After eighteen months absence it came back and was placed in the tower of the new house of worship.
On one side, near the crown, is the name—
Meneely Bell Co., Troy, N. Y., 1904. and on the opposite (eastward)—
We went through fire and through water, but Thou broug