This, with the monument, has been conveyed to the city of Medford and is now in charge of its park commission, which caused the re-erection of the monument on January 9, 1925.
Accounts of the remains there deposited had varied somewhat, and at request of Supt. Edward Adams the writer was present on November 13, 1924, when the box was removed from the cavity and opened.
There were also present by request Mr. Calvin W. Lewis of Brookline (the historian referred to) and Mr. Frank Lincoln, an old resident.
James M. Blake, Thomas Blakie, thirteen interested boys and a few ladies residing nearby also appeared upon the scene.
The wooden box was much decayed.
From it Superintendent Adams removed the remains of those whose bones lie here—we quote the words of Mr. Brooks' inscription as expression of the fact.
When originally discovered they were found buried in a sitting posture, but in the box they were simply packed in, in no particular order.
There were several Ind
oston) took up five lots on Harvard avenue between Monument and Winthrop streets and on them built the house in which he lived a few years and which after his removal became the home of Grenville Redding.
At the Sharon street corner was later the Hall school, taught by Miss Ellen Lane. Joseph E. Ober, Ellis Pitcher and Moses W. Mann bought at the first auction sale lots on Winthrop and Monument streets. Mr. Pitcher was then keeping a little grocery under Mystic Hall and was postmaster.
Frank Lincoln was his helper.
Mr. Pitcher never built, and only last year sold his land, from which a lot of concrete blocks have been made and on which is just now being erected a dwelling.
He very soon sold the store to Sawyer & Parmenter, who in December sold it to J. E. Ober, who in 1871 built his present residence and Mr. Mann his, the latter person being the first resident on that street.
In 1870 Simeon S. Leavitt had built, by J. H. Norton, the large mansard roof house (second from St.
heir march known.
During the British advance to Lexington the troops were unmolested by armed Provincials.
At Lexington, Captain Parker's men alone barred the way.
At Concord it is known that both Minute Men and militia from Acton, Bedford, Lincoln and Carlisle, together with the Concord men, bore the brunt of the attack at the bridge.
Captain Hall's men were then doubtless further down the road.
It was noon when Colonel Smith gave the order to march back to Boston, a long seventeen mi the ensign.
In no formal list of the reinforcements do the Medford men appear.
Tradition, however, is to the contrary.
For present purposes we may again adopt the words of De Bernice when, in reference to the progress of the troops through Lincoln into Lexington he wrote, The Provincials kept the road always lined and a very hot fire on us without intermission.
We began to run rather than retreat in order.
So, too, later reported his lieutenant-colonel, that the firing on his troops inc