Your search returned 12 results in 4 document sections:

y T. Wood, while near the centre of the plain was the dwelling of George Spaulding, which, with its cruciform shape and two-story cupola, was a noticeable object, and sometimes called the steamboat house. The home and two smaller houses of Gilbert Lincoln, and the newly built house of Florist Duane completed the number not included in the Smith estate. This comprised the territory lying between High street, the railroad and the river, with a small portion across the track, adjoining Canal stleisurely out from among the trees about his house. I had almost forgotten one who came a little later than myself, but still an early dweller then—David H. Brown, our worthy president. Samuel Teele, Sr., lived in his house on High street. Gilbert Lincoln and J. M. Brock were carpenters by trade as was also J. H. Norton, who employed a number of men. William Cheney and Samuel Teele were of the same trade. Captain Wyatt, one of the master mechanics of the canal, was a familiar figure upon the
The elms farm barns. Allusion has been made in a former issue to the passing of the Brooks estate at West Medford. Near the site of the great barns, modern dwellings have been erected and are in occupancy. As a memory of the past, the Register presents a view of the buildings destroyed by incendiary fire in the early morning hours of July 13, 1910. These replaced others of equal size destroyed by a lightning fire July 12, 1888, one of which was erected by Gilbert Lincoln after the destruction by incendiaries of one on August Io, 1855. This, erected during the absence of Mr. Edward Brooks in Europe, was on a massive basement of Medford granite that withstood both conflagrations, but is now entirely removed. At the erection of those last built there was an old-fashioned raising (of which photographs were made), and refreshments served to the company. Ham & Hopkins were the builders and made record time in their excellent work, that the season's hay could be housed and the b
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 18., A Medford writer of long ago and a modern Medford School. (search)
hildren may have, ere his coming to Medford, established homes for themselves elsewhere, still, the coming of the younger must have materially added to the census list of the old town of less than one thousand people. As yet we have not learned where was his dwelling-place. The allusion to it in the above quotation would lead us to infer that it was in the West End, for it was there that the Sarah Fuller Home was instituted in 1887 or 1888. It was first housed in the cottage owned by Gilbert Lincoln, opposite his home on Canal street. This had a sizable lot, suitably fenced and sloping backward to the river, with large apple and smaller fruit trees and garden, making it a comfortable place for this peculiar home school. Miss Eliza L. Clark was the matron and Mrs. Anna Lyons the housekeeper, and the school began with but one pupil. After a time a smaller building was erected beside this for recreation purposes, and these continued to be used until in 1892, when the managers purch
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 28., The beginning of a New village. (search)
nected at its end with Canal street, which crossed the railway equally as acutely as does High, but in a different direction. On the left of Canal street, adjoining the railroad, were six houses,—three belonged to the Smith estate, two to Gilbert Lincoln, and the last to Edward Brooks. In the basement of that was his laundry. Capt. A. A. Samson was the occupant of the house in ‘70. Mr. Lincoln's home was directly opposite, and his land adjoined the Canal house land, which latter was a parLincoln's home was directly opposite, and his land adjoined the Canal house land, which latter was a part of the Smith estate. He was a carpenter by trade, one of the old stock, who knew and did excellent work; and a very worthy man. This street was a town way, and got its name because it was the way to Landing No. 4 of the Middlesex canal, the famous waterway which connected Boston harbor with the Merrimac river at Chelmsford (now Lowell) in 1803. Near this landing (now 120-122 Boston avenue) was the canal tavern, such as were found at every lock along the canal's course. It was occupied at t