d expended by the town for the payment of State aid to the families of soldiers during the war, and which was afterwards repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $384.70; in 1862, $1,504.38; in 1863, $2,649.92; in 1864, $3,292.76; in 1865, $2,000.00. Total amount, $10,031.76.
The ladies of Monson worked constantly and faithfully, as only mothers who have sons in need of their assistance can work.
Packages of food and clothing were sent to the army often during the war.
Incorporated Nov. 28, 1780.
Population in 1860, 371; in 1865, 354.
Valuation in 1860, $156,175; in 1865, $158,850.
The selectmen in 1861 were Augustus A. Moore, Henry S. Stiles, Horace F. Moore; in 1862, William Squier, Aaron P. Parks, Gilbert Squier; in 1863, William Squier, Augustus A. Moore, Orlando W. Axtell; in 1864, Edwin S. Snow, Horace F. Moore, R. Wesley Clark; in 1865, Aaron P. Parks, R. Wesley Clark, Horace F. Moore.
The town-clerk in 1861, 1862, and 1865, was Aaron P.