ent of intense interest in the subject which spread through a large portion of the State.
In Medford, Professor B. W. Putnam, of Boston, was employed to meet all the teachers at the High Schoolhouse for a series of practical lessons which should qualify them to instruct their own pupils.
The High School alone was honored with a special instructor of the art from that time, and the succession has been as follows:—
Miss Frances C. Saxe, from September 1, 1873, to June 1, 1878.
Miss Isabel Webster, from September 1, 1878, to July 1, 1881.
Henry W. Poor, from September 1, 1881, to October 1, 1885.
Wallace Bryant, from October 1, 1885, to July 1, 1809.
Miss George L. Norton, from October 1, 1889, to June 30, 1891.
Miss Louise MacLeod, from September 14, 1891.
Prior to 1868, the course of study embraced a period of four years. At that date it was reduced to three years, and so remained till 1887, when it was so modified that students could choose