Your search returned 67 results in 19 document sections:

1 2
as not confirmed to Mr. Cradock till 1634. The sales of land, after his death, to Edward Collins, Jonathan Wade, Richard Russell, Peter Tufts, Thomas Brooks, Timothy Wheeler, and others, shows the slow progress of the infant settlement. With the Governor and Mr. Cradock's men, many, doubtless, were glad to associate themselves;f Thomas Shepherd, Daniel Markham, Thomas Willows, (Willis); bounded by Charlestown northerly, Mistick River southerly, Mr. Wade's land easterly, and Brooks's and Wheeler's lands westerly. March 29, 1675: Ed. Collins sells a piece of land to Daniel Markham; bounded by the river on the south, by Joshua Brooks on the west and nort. 10, 1655, he sells to Richard Champney five hundred acres in Billerica. In 1660 he sold four hundred acres for £ 404, in West Medford, to Thomas Brooks and Timothy Wheeler. These lands, held under the old Indian deed, have continued in possession of the Brooks family to the present day. Jonathan Wade, who for several years p
that it soon became serviceable. April 20, 1659: Thomas Broughton sold to Edward Collins, for six hundred and fifty pounds, his two water-mills, which he built in Mistick River. They were then occupied by Thomas Eames. There was a mill a short distance below the Wear Bridge; but who built it, and how long it stood, we have not been able to discover. The place is yet occupied. In 1660, Edward Collins conveyed a gristmill on the Menotomy side to Thomas Danforth, Thomas Brooks, and Timothy Wheeler. This mill was previously occupied by Richard Cooke. There was a mill at the place now called the Bower, about one mile north of the meeting-house of the first parish, carried by the water of Marble Brook. The banks, race, canal, and cellar are yet traceable. This was used for grinding grain and sawing timber. It was on land now owned by Mr. Dudley Hall. The remains of another water-mill are still visible on land now owned by Mr. W. A. Russell, near the north-west border of th
town records, is to be seen on those of Concord, where he was constable in 1638. He settled in this latter town, and owned large estates there; in consequence, he was appointed to the various town-offices. In 1660, he, with his son-in-law, Timothy Wheeler, bought four hundred acres of land in Medford, for four hundred and four pounds sterling, which he owned at the time of his death. His farm in Medford was bought of Edward Collins, and thus probably a part of the great Cradock estate. He sere, May 21, 1667. His wife was Grace----, who died May 12, 1664. His children were--  1-2Joshua, b. freeman, 1652; m. Han. Mason, of Watertown.  3Caleb, b. 1632; freeman, 1654.  4Gershom, freeman, 1672; m. Hannah Eckles.  5Mary, m. Tim. Wheeler, of Concord. (According to Mr. Shattuck, probably others.) 1-3CALEB Brooks lived at Concord until 1679. He m., successively, the two daus. of Thomas Atkinson; viz., Susannah, Apr. 10, 1660; 2d, Hannah. He removed to Medford, where he inheri
49, 51, 144, 196, 297, 303, 306, 484, 495, 570. Tufts College, 297. Turell family, 555. Turell, 29, 49, 221, 310, 319. Universalist Church, 269. Usher family, 556. Usher, 36, 168, 169, 170, 178, 188, 193, 345, 419, 538, 570. Wade family, 558. Wade, 8, 28, 34, 36, 41, 42, 43, 44, 48, 97, 100, 327, 425. Waite, 36, 51, 439, 560. Warren family, 560. Warren, 225. Washington, 69, 161. Waterman, 87. Watson, 36. Weber family, 560. Wellington, 37, 55. Wheeler, 34, 43. Whitefield, 226, 233. Whitmore family, 561. Whitmore, 9, 36, 68, 69, 97, 103, 106, 109, 126, 209, 216, 217, 265, 331, 332, 334, 353, 411, 412, 414, 415, 438, 507, 511, 513, 553, 560, 570. Wier, 49, 565. Wigglesworth, 8. wild family, 566. Willard, 105. Willis family, 566. Willis, 28, 36, 42, 96, 99, 101, 102, 103, 106, 218, 241, 265, 328. Wilson, 2, 3, 14. Winthrop, 2, 3, 5, 11, 13, 14, 20, 25, 30, 31, 33, 35, 37, 38, 45, 74. Winslow, 268. Wood
en it was part of the stinted common. Of the history of the stinted common, I think Mr. Elliot has fully written. There was a partition of a portion of the common made in 1681, and the proprietors thereof drew lots for their shares. Captain Timothy Wheeler drew lot No. 40. He was entitled to eight cow commons, and, therefore, twelve acres were set off to him. This was a parcel of forty rods frontage on Barberry Lane, and forty-eight rods frontage on School Street. Its opposite sides were equal. By deed dated July 9, 1683, Captain Wheeler for £ 55 lawful money of the colony of Massachusetts paid by William Stetson, John Cutler, and Aaron Ludkin, Deacons and Trustees for the Church of Charlestown, conveyed the whole twelve acres to said deacons and trustees. This £ 55 was a gift from Captain Richard Sprague and his wife, Mary. This was the Richard Sprague who was called Leffttenant, and with whom, February 15, 1662, the proprietors of the stinted common made an agreement
nal, Robert A., 32, 75. Ward, Artemas, 34. Ward, Eliza D., 30. Warner, N. H., 21. Warren, Isaac, 78. Warren, Major-General, 9. Washington, D. C., 11. Washington, George, 23. Waterford, Me., 34. Waters, Elizabeth A., 72. Watertown, Mass., 87. Watson, William W., 69. Watts, Samuel, 65. Wayne, Charlotte, 30. Wayne, Eliza, 30. Weitzel, General, 53, 59, 60. Weldon Railroad, 5, 6, 7, 14. Welles, Mr., 62. Wentworth, L. Roger, 77. West Cambridge, 44. Western House, 5. Wheeler, Timothy, 77, 78. Whipple, Ann E., 30, 34, 35. White's Station, 11. Whitmore, Joseph W., 19. Whitney. Moses, 43. Wild, Charles D., 66. Wild, George W., 66. Wild, Rebecca, 66. Willard, J., 65. Willcutt, William C., 19. Winchester, Mass., 88. Winter Hill Road, 26. Winter Hill Universalist Church, 72. Winthrop, John, 78. Woburn Academy. 21. Woburn, Mass., 88. Wonohaquaham Tribe of Red Men, Wood, Colonel, 82. Woodbury, Harriette Reed, 37. Wyeth, Nicholas, 88. Wyman's Hist
Following up the river, Rock-hill landing comes next in order, and the way leading to this landing from High street is called Hastings lane. Some years ago the town of Medford claimed rights in this way and landing, and suit was brought to test the ownership thereof. The case was decided in favor of the owner of the land through which the way passed, upon the general ground that the public right, if it ever existed, had been lost by long-continued disuse. When Thomas Brooks and Timothy Wheeler purchased of Mr. Collins their estate in Medford and Charlestown commons they also acquired a right in the landing at the Rocks next to John Mirrable's (Marble's) house. Does not this name suggest the source of the name of Marble brook? Marble must have been a tenant of Mr. Collins (possibly of Mr. Cradock also), and no doubt occupied the lands upon the borders of the brook. There was a landing at Wilson's point (Wellington) on Three Mile brook (Malden river). There is also a landi
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 7., Some old Medford houses and estates. (search)
hter, Katherine Wyer. This house stood where the Puffer house now stands. The four houses West of Marble brook. In 1660, when Messrs. Thomas Brooks and Timothy Wheeler purchased of Mr. Edward Collins the westerly portion of the Cradock farm, consisting of four hundred acres of land, there was but one house mentioned in the dwhen it was taken down. (See Brooks' History of Medford.) In 1675, when Mr. Edward Collins sold five hundred acres of land situated between Messrs. Brooks and Wheeler's on the west, and land of Mr. Jonathan Wade on the east, to Mr. Caleb Hubbart, who subsequently sold to Mr. John Hall and his associates, three houses only were near the northerly corner of the Lucy Ann Brooks estate. There was an old house that stood on the corner of High and Grove streets, on land formerly of Captain Timothy Wheeler, and it was sold by his grandson, Mr. Ebenezer Prout, to Messrs. John and Stephen Francis. It subsequently became a part of the Brooks estate. This esta
s now consider what evidence there is to authorize us to believe that the house of Mr. Willis was the house at which Mr. Dunton was entertained in the year 1686. At that date there were but three great highways leading through Medford, viz.: the highway now known as Grove street, the highway from Medford bridge to Woburn (part of High street and all of Woburn street) and the Highway to Malden (Salem street). So far as we know the house of Mr. Caleb Brooks, and possibly the house of Captain Timothy Wheeler, afterwards that of Mr. Ebenezer Prout, and still later that of Messrs. John and Stephen Francis, were the only houses on the first named highway at that date, and there is no evidence that either of those parties were ever licensed as tavern keepers. On the highway from Medford bridge to Woburn were the two houses of Major Jonathan Wade (one of which was probably the old Cradock Mansion) and that of Mr. John Bradshaw; nor is there any evidence that these houses were used as tavern
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 8., The Whitmores of Medford and some of their descendants. (search)
brook, which runs a few rods from it, received its name from this John Whitmore. This house was built in 1680, and torn down in 1840; it is the house mentioned in the Historical Register of this society, Volume 7, Page 49. On February II, 1680, Francis Whitmore of Cambridge gave to his son John and wife and heirs two acres of meadow land near the West Medford station. This land was bounded on the northeast by land of Captain Jonathan Wade, easterly by dike joining the land of Captain Timothy Wheeler, and west and northwest by land already owned by John Whitmore. The latter is authorized at all times and from time to time, to quietly enjoy and posess the above land. He also owned land in Charlestown and Billerica. John Whitmore married Rachel, daughter of Francis Eliot of Cambridge and widow of John Poulter of Cambridge. John and Rachel Whitmore had three children. John Whitmore was interested in town affairs, and in the Indian difficulties of that time. He went to Saco
1 2