hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 23. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 6 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 6 results in 2 document sections:

Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 23. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), The Forty-Ninth N. C. Infantry, C. S. A. [from the Charlotte, N. C., Observer, October 20, 27, 1895.] (search)
hat Newbern could have been taken in a short time and without any considerable loss, if any vigorous pressing had been undertaken by our troops on either side of the river, is now well ascertained. Indeed, General Martin captured a courier from General Palmer, the commander of the Federals at Newbern, bearing a dispatch to the officer in command at Morehead City, stating that unless reinforcements were quickly sent him he must surrender. It was during this expedition to Newbern that Commander Wood, of the Confederate Navy, made his daring attack upon the gunboat, Underwriter, and from under the very guns of their fortifications captured and cut it out; and, finding it disabled by the shells of the Federal batteries, destroyed her. Beyond these small results, however, nothing was accomplished, unless the whole movement was intended for a demonstration merely. During the entire day of February 2d, Company D, under Lieutenant Barrett, and Company E, under Captain E. V. Harris, occ
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 23. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), Historical sketch of the Rockbridge artillery, C. S. Army, by a member of the famous battery. (search)
nday, November 10th, reached the neighborhood of Winchester, and camped near Kernstown. After a few days spent there, we were moved nearer to Winchester, and went into camp about half a mile west of it near the Romney road, at a place known as Billy Wood's Thicket, a pleasant camp, well-sheltered by cedars, and at a convenient distance from town. Here the whole battery remained till Wednesday, January 1, 1862, excepting two guns, which were called out along with the infantry to assist in destrently scratched with a curry-comb. We remained at Romney till the 24th, when this company and the rest of the brigade set out for Winchester, the neighborhood of which we reached on the 25th January. We encamped temporarily two miles west of Wood's thicket, at Lupton's. About this time two eight-pounder iron guns, made at Tredegar works, were added to the battery, and Dr. John Leyburn was made a lieutenant. On the 29th we moved to Camp Zollicoffer, the name given a camp in the woods four