and navy during the four years of the war, and which was repaid by the Commonwealth, was $553,043.12.
Formerly part of Fairhaven; incorporated Feb. 13, 1860.
Population in 1860, 1,387; in 1865, 1,251.
Valuation in 1860, $784,837; in 1865, $656,500.
The selectmen in 1861, 1862, and 1863, were Cyrus E. Clark, Benjamin Wilson, Benjamin White; in 1864 and 1865, Cyrus E. Clark, Walter Spooner, Pardon Tabor.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer during each year of the war was Jabez Wood.
1861. No action appears to have been taken by the town, in its corporate capacity, in relation to the war during this year.
1862. At a legal town-meeting, held on the 19th of July, the town voted to pay each person who shall enlist in the military service for three years, and be mustered in and credited to the quota of the town, a bounty of one hundred and fifty dollars. George S. Russell, Rodolphus Swift, and James Hammet were chosen a committee to assist the selectmen in recruitin