hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 235 results in 53 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6
The writings of John Greenleaf Whittier, Volume 7. (ed. John Greenleaf Whittier), Zzz Missing head (search)
retributive dealings of Providence, that the direst affliction of the Massachusetts Colony—the witchcraft terror of 1692—originated with the Indian Tituba, a slave in the family of the minister of Danvers. In the year 1690 the inhabitants of Newbury were greatly excited by the arrest of a Jerseyman who had been engaged in enticing Indians and negroes to leave their masters. He was charged before the court with saying that the English should be cut off and the negroes set free. James, a ngenial for the mob-violence to which he had been subjected. In front of me, awakening pleasant associations of the old homestead in Merrimac valley, sat my first school-teacher, Joshua Coffin, the learned and worthy antiquarian and historian of Newbury. A few spectators, mostly of the Hicksite division of Friends, were present, in broad brims and plain bonnets, among them Esther Moore and Lucretia Mott. Committees were chosen to draft a constitution for a national Anti-Slavery Society, nom
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Appendix I: Genealogy (search)
d William, and four or five daughters. William was baptized at Guiseley (the parish church of Horsforth), October 20, 1650. The first of the name in America was this William, son of William of Horsforth. He came over, a young man, to Newbury, Massachusetts, about 1676. Soon after, he married Anne Sewall, daughter of Henry Sewall, of Newbury, and sister of Samuel Sewall, afterward the first chief justice of Massachusetts. He received from his father-in-law a farm in the parish of Byfield, ine likely child, and a very good piece of land, and greatly wants a little stock to manage it. And that father has paid for him upwards of an hundred pounds to get him out of debt. In 1688 William Longfellow is entered upon the town records of Newbury as having two houses, six plough-lands, meadows, etc. The year before, he had made a visit to his old home in Horsforth. He is spoken of as well educated, but a little wild, or, as another puts it, not so much of a Puritan as some. In 1690, as
the father of said Mary. Sept. 27, 1670. (Midd. Registry, IV. 39.) John Rolfe was originally of Newbury, and married there Mary Scullard (daughter of Samuel), 4 Dec. 1656. Rolfe died suddenly at the house of his brother Benjamin Rolfe, at Newbury, 1 Oct. 1681, where he made a nuncupative will, and said he would, if he could write the next day, write his will, but in the meanwhile deceased before he could finish the same. 1681. Granted to Widow Rolfe to make a dam above the old mill-po said Richard Gardner having no deed of conveyance of a one-fifth part of said farm, according to covenant while her husband lived, she conveys a portion of the above estate, Oct. 2, 1683. (Midd. Registry, VIII. 402.) John Rolfe had born in Newbury, Mary, 2 Nov. 1658 (died 10 Dec. 1658); Mary, 16 Jan. 1660; Rebecca, 9 Feb. 1662.—Coffin, 316. Rebecca married William Cutter of Cambridge, son of Richard. Rolfe had born at Nantucket, John, 5 Mar. 1663-4; Samuel, 8 Mar. 1665-6; Sarah, 2 Dec. 1<
battle, 19 Apr. 1775, and with his townsman, Seth Russell, was reported missing, supposed to be on board one of the men of war—see E. Russell's Salem Gazette, or Newbury and Marblehead Advertiser, for 5 May, 1775—and was confined on the Admiral, and discharged in exchange 6 June, 1775—Mass. Hist. Coll., i. (4th s.), 262. 5. JoWhitmore, Widow Rebecca, d. 13 Nov. 1751, a. 90. Maiden name Rebecca Rolfe, and William Cutter's widow and widow of Dea. John Whitmore of Medford. She was b. at Newbury 9 Feb. 1662, dau. of John and Mary (Scullard) Rolfe. Her father, John Rolfe, of Cambridge, originally from Newbury, came hither about 1670, from Nantucket IslandNewbury, came hither about 1670, from Nantucket Island. She and husband William Cutter were admitted to membership of Cambridge church 28 July, 1700. By Cutter she had ten children, nine of whom attained maturity and gave birth to a numerous progeny. He d. 1 Apr. 1723, aet. 74, and she m. on 3 June, 1724, her second husband Whitmore, who d. 22 Feb. 1739-40, a. 84. She gave six pou<
ion Trade. I have examined this register, which covers about 300 pages of manuscript. It records the name, tonnage, and ownership of each vessel, with the place where it was built. More than 1,200 vessels are entered in the register, and out of them all there is but one Medford-built vessel, the brigantine Joanna, of 70 tons, built in 1699, and owned and commanded by one Bailey, of Boston. In this same register we find 130 vessels built on the Merrimac river, of which 100 were built at Newbury, and perhaps as many more at Scituate and other towns on the North river. The register contains a record of vessels built from 1680 to 1714. In the eighteenth century, which comes nearer to our times, we have no evidence that the business of shipbuilding was prosecuted, and it is improbable that any craft larger than a lighter was built here. But the time came at last when ship-building was to be established as a great local industry, and the noble vessels launched from our yards wer
ix months. The town gave him a call to the pulpit in December, 1711, to settle on a salary of fifty pounds and strangers' money. In his reply he neither accepts nor declines the invitation. The reason seems to be that the feud left from Mr. Woodbridge's ministry had not wholly died out. His name appears again among the three candidates from whom the town made choice of a minister in 1712, when the lot fell to Mr. Aaron Porter. Mr. Tufts was afterward the honored minister of the church in Newbury. Aaron Porter. The last Wednesday of April, 1712, the town appointed as a day of fasting and prayer to humble ourselves before God for those divisions and contentions that hath so long prevailed among us, and obstructed the peaceable enjoyment of Gospel ordinances. After the religious exercises they were to meet, and out of the three candidates who had the highest number they were to select one as their pastor. Mr. Aaron Porter was the choice, and in May, 1712, the town voted to inv
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., The development of the public School of Medford. (search)
in 1794 evidently gone back from the standard set up earlier. The list of teachers in this second building, as well as in the first, is made up mostly of graduates of Harvard College. In the twenty-four years that this building was used as a public school there were twenty-seven different teachers. Teachers in the second School-house 1771-1795 FromToHarvard ClassNotes 1771Aug.-Dec. ‘72Jonathan Norwood1771Entered Harvard from Lynn, b. 1752 1772Dec.-Mch. ‘73Theodore Parsons1773from Newbury, b. 1751 1773Mch.-Aug. ‘73Samuel Poole1770from Reading, b. 1751 1773Oct.-Dec. ‘73Thomas Farrington1773from Amesbury, b. 1749 1773Dec.-Mch. ‘74William Stearns1770b. 1749, Lunenburg d. 1784 at Worcester. There was a John Watson from Plymouth class of 1766 1774Mch.-July, ‘74Jona Watson1774from Braintree b. 1754 1774July-Sept. ‘75Moses Taft 1775Sept.-April, ‘77Seth Sweetser 1777Apr.-Nov. ‘78Abel Morse 1778Nov.-Apr. ‘791757Edward Brooksb. 1733 Rev. Edw. was chaplain on th
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 9., The Bradburys of Medford and their ancestry. (search)
x sons and five daughters. Their second child, Judith, married Caleb Moody, son of William, the emigrant who settled at Newbury. She was his second wife and it is particularly interesting for us to note that the late John Ward Dean, an honored memHis second wife, whom we shall merely notice on account of her name, was a Judith Moody. Theophilus Bradbury resided in Newbury, where he was a very prominent man. He died February 3, 1764, leaving five children by his first wife. Ann, b. May 8,tudents in Portland was Theophilus Parsons, who became the celebrated and able jurist. Theophilus Bradbury returned to Newbury in 1779, and was a member of Congress from his native district during the Presidency of Washington. While holding the pake his home. He was the fourth child of Theophilus and Ann (Woodman) Bradbury; was born April 5, 1737, in that part of Newbury probably which later became Newburyport. His marriage intention is thus recorded on the town records; Wymond Bradbury o
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 13., Stage-coach days in Medford. (search)
a third or fourth person. The price will be Thirteen shillings and sixpence sterling for each person from hence to Boston and at the same rate of conveyance back again, though under no obligation to return the same week in the same manner. Those who would not be disappointed must enter their names at Mr. Stavers, on Saturday, any time before nine o'clock in the evening, and pay one-half at entrance, the remainder at the end of the journey. Any gentleman may have business transacted at Newbury or Boston with fidelity and despatch, on reasonable terms. As gentlemen and ladies are often at a loss for good accommodations for travelling from hence, and can't return in less than three weeks or a month, it is hoped that this undertaking will meet with suitable encouragement, as they will be wholly free from the care and charge of keeping chairs and horses, or returning them before they had finished their business. What an event that was in Portsmouth when the Flying Stage-Coach
he Medford loyalist Isaac Royall, adding seventy-five pounds, why! that's about four hundred dollars. But the amount was in old tenor and about seven and one half times that of lawful money in 1761. So fifty dollars (on the latter basis) would seem not an undue figure for the day of Colonel Royall, but the old fashioned time-piece would suffer in comparison with the modern Waltham watch. Collector Robert Hale is supposed to have been His Majesty's customs officer at the port of Newbury, Mass. The kindly offer of assistance to his grandson and namesake speaks well for the one who a few years later, misunderstood by his townsmen, became an exile. His letter, till recently in the possession of the late General Lawrence, may now be seen at the Royall House. Several pages of the History of Medford may well be read in relation to the depreciated currency of those days. When lawful money came in one wrote: And now Old Tenor fare you well, No more such tattered rags we'
1 2 3 4 5 6