Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 10. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for 21st or search for 21st in all documents.

Your search returned 28 results in 12 document sections:

1 2
twice, and referred to the Military Committee. On the twenty-first, the Senate, on motion of Mr. Wade, discharged the Commexpended on any work hereafter to be performed. On the twenty-first, the Senate resumed the consideration of the bill, and twice and referred to the Military Committee. On the twenty-first, Mr. Wilson reported it back without amendment. It preas, twenty-two; nays, fourteen. In the House, on the twenty-first, the bill, on motion of Mr. Olin, was referred to the Mn reported it back with amendments. The Senate, on the twenty-first, proceeded to its consideration. It consisted of sevenbill was recommitted to the Military Committee. On the twenty-first, Mr. Morgan reported back the bill without amendment. mendment was received and ordered to be printed, On the twenty-first, the Senate, on motion of Mr. Wilson, proceeded to consed with the amendments prepared to be reported. On the twenty-first, the House proceeded to consider the bill. It consiste
y 30, 1864. Admiral: I regret to have to report the capture of the Columbine by the rebels on Monday, the twenty-third instant, and under the following circumstances: By the enclosed communications you will perceive that two of our posts on the east side of the St. John's, left by General Birney, were captured by the enemy; and another, consisting of fifty men at Volusia, was in imminent danger of being captured. Information was received by General Gordon, at 11.40 P. M. of the twenty-first instant, who immediately asked my assistance in trying to save the post at Volusia. Upon consultation with the General, it was deemed by us advisable to send the Ottawa and Columbine up the St. John's — the former to go as far up the river as the depth of water would admit, and the latter to proceed to Volusia with all despatch, to assist the troops at that point, and also to prevent the enemy from recrossing to the west bank of the St. John's. General Gordon embarked his troops in the Ch
utenant-Commander Truxton) are now in the sounds. The Sassacus (Lieutenant-Commander Roe) was sent there last night. You will take the Mattabesett (Commander Febiger) and the Wyalusing (Lieutenant-Commander Queen) with you, and leave with all practicable despatch, availing yourself of the present high tides to enter the sounds. I send with you two (2) officers who have served in the sounds, and whose local knowledge will be useful to you. Enclose a copy of my instructions of the twenty-first instant to Commander Davenport for your information and guidance, unless you find occasion to vary them for a more promising plan of attack. Attacking the ram will, to some extent, intimidate it, and by getting alongside of it, in or near contact, and on each side, holding position, and by firing at the centre of its ports, whether open or shut, and on its roof, you will disable and capture it. Your guns should have double breeching, and be loaded with heavy charges (say from fifteen (15)
Doc. 24.-attack on the little Ada. Lieut.-Commander Weaver's report. United States steamer Winona, off Suwanee River, S. C., March 25, 1864. Sir: In obedience to your order of the twenty-first instant, directing us to proceed off the Santee River, and to prevent the steamer loading at McClellanville from going to sea, and to use such efforts to capture said steamer as might best meet that end consistent with safety, I have to report that I left Charleston harbor in this vessel, on the morning of the twenty-third instant, and arrived off the Santee at 5.30 P. M. of the same day. After making a careful reconnaissance of the north and south mouths of the Santee, I decided that there must be the deepest water in the latter, and anchored this vessel as near there as was prudent. At sunset I started a boat expedition in command of Acting Master E. H. Sheffield, executive officer of this vessel, consisting of the gig, second and third cutters, Acting Ensign William McKendry, in
the bayonet alone, as a means of defence, seemed inevitable. My own ammunition train had been carried off by the rout from the right. My command reached Rossville about ten P. M., where it bivouacked for the night. Early next morning, the twenty-first, in obedience to orders, I took a strong position on Missionary Ridge. Strong barricades against an infantry assault were at once made. During the day there was some light firing on my picket front, but nothing serious; the enemy was, however, evidently in considerable force in my front. At ten P. M., on the twenty-first, my command, in obedience to orders, left its position on Missionary Ridge, and withdrew to this place. Early Tuesday morning, the twenty-second, it occupied its present position in the line of defences, and has since been most constantly and actively engaged in strengthening them. To the officers and men of my command I return my thanks for their gallant bearing; soldierly conduct, and steadfast courage, exhi
dquarters Department N. E. V., Arlington, August 13, 1861. Colonel Richardson, commanding Fourth Brigade: Sir: I herewith enclose you an extract from a supplemental report of Brigadier-General McDowell, of the battle of Bull Run, on the twenty-first ultimo. I am, Sir, very respectfully, Your most obedient servant, Chauncy McKeever, Asst. Adj.-General. headquarters Department N. E. V., Arlington, August 12, 1861. Lieutenant-Colonel E. D. Townsend, A. A. G., Headquarters of the Army: Colonel: My attention has been called by those interested, to two omissions in my report of the battle of the twenty-first ultimo, near Manassas, and I ask leave to make the following corrections, wishing that they be made part of my original report. In speaking of the retreat, I mentioned that it was covered by Colonel Blenker's brigade. I should have said Colonel Richardson's and Colonel Blenker's brigades. The former was on the left of the Centreville ridge, and the latter in front of i
d readjust my lines, I moved, as soon as daylight served, on the twenty-first. On my arrival, about sunrise, near Lieutenant-General Polk's bing in readiness for the pursuit in the morning. Early on the twenty-first, the commanding General stopped at my bivouac and asked my viewseld to us and fled in disorder. At two o'clock, P. M., on the twenty-first, I moved my command in the direction of Chickamauga Station, anden we retired to feed our horses. Early on the morning of the twenty-first, I detached two regiments, pursuant to orders, to pick up straggmp at the creek, the enemy too much exhausted to pursue. On the twenty-first, I held the left of the road in General Pegram's attack upon Misl Liddell's command, and there remained until the morning of the twenty-first, when I formed on the right of General Liddell and sent forward were soon afterwards taken to the rear. On the morning of the twenty-first, a gun was ordered by General Liddell to the position occupied b
ve, the plan of the enemy, as I then stated, seems to have been changed. There has been no attempt at a further assault upon our works on Morris Island. From the twenty-first to the twenty-fourth there has been occasional firing, both from the enemy's fleet and land batteries; but his time has been chiefly occupied in the erection and completion of three new batteries on that portion of the island in his possession, thus advancing his lines as far as could be done with safety. On the twenty-first the enemy sent in, by a flag of truce, a communication from General Gilmore, with a request that the officer commanding Battery Wagner would give to General Vogdes, who accompanied it, a personal interview. While Captain Tracy, the staff officer of General Hagood, then in command, was bearing the message brought by the flag, both the fleet and land batteries re-opened their fire, and General Hagood very promptly refused to receive any communication until an apology had been made for this
d in person took post at Clinton. Dispatches arrived from General Pemberton, dated Vicksburg, May twentieth and twenty-first. In that of the twentieth he stated that the enemy had assaulted his intrenched lines the day before, and was repulsed with heavy loss. He estimated their force at not less than sixty thousand, and asked that musket-caps be sent, they being his main necessity. He concluded: an army will be necessary to save Vicksburg, and that quickly; will it be sent? On the twenty-first he wrote: The men credit, and are encouraged by, a report that you are near with a large force. They are fighting in good spirits and their organization is complete. Caps were sent as fast as they arrived. On May twenty-ninth I sent a dispatch to General Pemberton, to the following effect: I am too weak to save Vicksburg, can do no more than attempt to save you and your garrison. It will be impossible to extricate you unless you co-operate and we make mutually supporting movements.
of the condition of this ship. Should an attack be made as anticipated. I shall be governed by circumstances, and do all I can against the enemy. I have the honor to be, Very respectfully, Your obedient servant, John K. Mitchell, Commanding C. S. Naval Forces, Lower Mississippi (J.) C. S. steamer Louisiana. Off Fort Jackson, April 23, 1862. General J. K. Duncan, commanding Coast Defences, Fort Jackson: Sir: I enclose herewith a copy of a communication received on the twenty-first inst., from Captain Stevenson, from which you will perceive that, notwithstanding General Lovell's order to him, this letter so qualifies my authority as to relieve me from all responsibility as to the movements of the vessels of the river fleet under his command. I have the honor to be, Very respectfully, Your obedient servant, John K. Mitchell, Commanding C. S. Naval Forces, Lower Mississippi. (K.) River defence, C. S. Gunboat Warrior, Fort Jackson, April 21, 1862. Commande
1 2