Your search returned 57 results in 11 document sections:

1 2
ssell, and Ira Thorpe constituting the same. At this meeting George Fogg, John Hunnewell, George W. Ireland, Charles Bird, Jr., and Abram Welch were voted into the society. Charles Williams, Jr.'s,ames S. Runey, Francis Russell, David Russell, Reuben Horton and his sons, Charles Williams, Jr., Mr. and Mrs. George W. Ireland, and John Hunnewell, Charles Tufts, as donor of the land and friend oMrs. George W. Ireland, and John Hunnewell, Charles Tufts, as donor of the land and friend of the parish, Edwin Munroe, Jr., as treasurer and chairman of the standing committee for so many years, Charles Williams, as clerk of the parish and superintendent of the Sunday School for a long terms superintendent of the Sunday School for many years, John Hunnewell, clerk of the parish, George W. Ireland, committeeman and generous giver, Reuben Horton, a staunch friend and member of the standihinson; another of $500 from the late Joseph Clark; and a third of $1,000 from the late Deacon George W. Ireland,—altogether, $8,500. I have also prepared a statement showing the terms of office of
ere issued during Mr. Powers' administration: The Harvester, a paper published in connection with the fair of 1893, contained historical sketches of the church and all the organizations connected therewith, and in the 1897 Harvester the first directory of the parish was printed. Both of these papers were of great value to the parish, and are especially valuable as historical documents. In 1897 Mr. Powers preached the annual sermon before the Universalist Sabbath School Union. Deacon George W. Ireland died in the fall of 1895, and in his will was found a bequest to the parish of $1,000, which bequest it was Mr. Powers' privilege to announce. Lenten services were held nightly during the week next preceding Easter, 1897, and although new to our church, they were well attended. Augustus Hodgman, the parish treasurer, died suddenly in the church in February, 1898. His death caused a vacancy in the ranks of the faithful workers which was hard to fill, and it is but just his nam
rge Rogers, Mrs. E. Harmon, Mrs. Jennings, Mrs. James Runey, Miss Georgiana Williams, Miss Harriet Fitz, Mrs. W. Gage, Mrs. Giles, Mrs. H. Bradshaw, Mrs. H. Cutter, Mrs. Seth Stevens, Mrs. Childs, Mrs. George S. Fogg, Miss Martha Hadley, Mrs. George W. Ireland, Mrs. George H. Emerson. Miss A. Horton, Mrs. E. E. Cole, Mrs. Fitch Cutter. Mrs. Charles Munroe, Mrs. Charles Williams, Mrs. Abel Fitz, Mrs. Aaron Sargent, Mrs. Charles Tufts, Miss Mary Giles, Mrs. Edwin Daniels, Mrs. E. A. Bacon, Mrs. AWe have not been able to ascertain the name of the first vice-president, or that of the first secretary. The following have been the successors of Mrs. Munroe in office: Mrs. Bradshaw, Mrs. Fuller, Mrs. Skinner, Mrs. Haven, Mrs. Carvill, Mrs. G. W. Ireland, Mrs. Ralph, Mrs. James Lombard, Miss Fannie Glines, Mrs. Eccles, Mrs. F. B. Burrows, Mrs. F. E. Borroughs, Mrs. E. C. Hall, Mrs. C. H. Pratt, and Mrs. L. H. Brown. In the early days of the society the meetings were held at the homes of
tus E. Cole, Reuben Horton, Abram Welch, George W. Ireland. 1856—Edwin Munroe, Jr., Erastus E. Cole, Reuben Welch, George W. Ireland. 1857—Edwin Munroe, Jr., Erastus E. Cole, Reuben Welch, Georoe, Jr., Erastus E. Cole, Reuben Welch, George W. Ireland. 1859—Edwin Munroe, Jr., Reuben Hortoeuben Horton. 1862—Edwin Munroe, Jr., George W. Ireland, Charles Williams, R. Carver, E. E. ColeJ. T. Glines. 1864—Edwin Munroe, Jr., George W. Ireland, Charles Williams, R. Carver, E. E. ColeJ. T. Glines. 1865—Edwin Munroe, Jr., George W. Ireland, Charles Williams, R. Carver, E. E. Colenroe, Jr., E. E. Cole, Charles Williams, George W. Ireland, David Elliot, H. Haskins, G. W. Hadley. 1867—George W. Ireland, G. W. Hadley, H. Haskins, A. Eddy, J. Q. Twombly. 1868—B. S. Binneyombly. 1872—J. F. Ayer, S. W. Fuller, George W. Ireland, J. F. Nickerson, J. Q. Twombly. 1873—J. F. Ayer, S. W. Fuller, George W. Ireland, J. F. Nickerson, J. Q. Twombly. 1874—H. R. Bishop,
Miss Lizzie J. B. Snow. Granville W. Daniels. DeceasedMiss Cordelia E. Russell. DeceasedMrs. Sarah Russell. DeceasedDavid Russell. DeceasedMrs. Eliza Dugan. DeceasedMiss Lydia M. Horton. DeceasedReuben Carver. DeceasedObadiah Merritt. DeceasedMiss Charlotta Stephens. DeceasedMiss Mary T. Merritt. Miss Emma L. Daniels. DeceasedMiss Martha Welch. Edwin Turner. Miss Ann Maria Daniels. DeceasedMrs. Jane P. Ireland. DeceasedGeorge W. Ireland. DeceasedMiss Annie S. Sanborn. DeceasedBenoni Bixby. DeceasedIra Thorpe. DeceasedMrs. Catherine Thorpe. DeceasedMiss Elizabeth Welch. DeceasedMiss Lucy Maria Welch. Miss Amie S. Munroe. Miss Maria R. Munroe. DeceasedMiss Hannah Tufts. DeceasedMiss Jane Bixby. Mrs. Abby A. Welts. Miss S. Maria Sargent. DeceasedMiss Hannah B. Munroe. Miss Sophronia P. Leland. DeceasedRev. Benjamin K. Russ. Miss Lydia L. Turner. DeceasedMiss Ha
t summer days, and that a large orchard grew in back of it. Doubtless this was an orchard planted by John Ireland, familiarly known as Johnny Ireland by old residents and passing travelers, who stopped for rest and refreshment at his little store at the corner of School street. Possibly the few apple trees now found in the vicinity of Landers street and Preston road, streets cut through the Ireland estate, are survivors of that orchard. The pear trees there were probably set out by George W. Ireland, a grandson, fifty years ago. He was greatly interested in pear-raising, and amateurs in the art used to come to him to name their varieties. When asked how many kinds he had, his reply was, Fifty too many! The trees on the sidewalk were planted by him over forty years ago. They are elms and sycamore maples, alternating, the latter a variety imported from Europe about that time. A Lombardy poplar and a group of locusts also grew on the place. His daughter writes: The sycamore, or
storical Society, Somerville. 88. Historical Society, Somerville, Officers of, 84. Hoit, A. G., 21. Holden, Bertha E., 53. Holden, Oliver, 73. Hollis Hall, 6. Holmes, O. W., 3, 53. Holmes' Field, 6. Holroyd, John, 20, 22. Holt, Chauncey, 90. Hooper, John C., 93. Hooper, Thomas, 22. Hovey, James, 77, 80, 83. Hovey, W., 15. Hunnewell, William, 13. Hurd, J. Stearns, 20, 21. Hutchinson, H., 15. Hutchinson, Thomas, 11. Hyde, Adeline, 17. Inman Street, Cambridge, 9. Ireland, George W., 56. Ireland, John, 10, 56. Jackson, Rev., Henry, 16, 18, 46. Jaques, Fannie C., 53. Jaques, Henry, 23, 48. Jaques, Colonel, Samuel, 89, 90. Jaqtith, Miss, 52. Jaquith, O., 81. Jaquith, Mrs., Polly, 17. Jeemes, J., 15. Jeffurds, Mary W., 51, 67. Jenks, Joseph W., 46. Jewett, Henry I., 71. Johnson, C. A., 82. Johnson, Elizabeth L., 72. Johnson, Jotham, 12. Jones, Mary E., 82, 83. Jones, Roxanna, 17. Joy, Benjamin, 12. Judkins, R., 15, 19, 20. Kelly, Hall J., 10, 17,
Historic leaves, volume 6, April, 1907 - January, 1908,
Union Square
and its neighborhood about the year 1846. (search)
uring the siege of Boston. Some way beyond was the bleachery, with its surrounding colony, which deserves a separate paper. On the northerly side of Somerville avenue, west of School street, was the estate of Jonathan Ireland, father of George W. Ireland, Esq., a large land holder here for many years; the only member of the family living is, I think, Mrs. Martha J. Gerry, of Jamaica Plain. Further west came the house of Osgood Dane and of Osgood B. Dane, his son, back of which was the granite quarry. Yet westerly was the residence of Mr. Field, a relative of Mr. Ireland, and further yet on the easterly side of Central street the house owned then or a little later by the Stone estate. A picture of this house is owned by the Historical Society. It has since been removed or torn down. Between Union square and the west end of Bow street, on the north side of Somerville avenue, was the residence of Levi Orcutt, Esq., carpenter, whose family is now represented by Edward L. Orcu
Square, 33. Hopkins, James R., 74. Hopkinton, Mass., 2. Horton, John E., 56. Houghton, Amory, 5. Houghton, Francis, 5. Hourglass. 5. Howe. Henry, 22. Huchins, Captain, John, 22. Hudson, Charles H., 41. Hunnewell, Charles, 50, 51, Hunnewell, James, 51. Hunnewell, Joseph, 51. Hurnnewell, Richard, 50, 51. Hunnewell, Thomas, 50. Hunnewell, William, 50. Hunt, Captain C. R., 46. Hutchinson, Governor, 1. Hyde, Richard J., 18, 22. Hyde, Thomas, 56. Ipswich, Mass., 2. Ireland, George W., 15, 16. Ireland, Jonathan, 15. Jamaica Plain, 15. James River, 64, 65, 70. Jaquith, Abraham, 31. Jerusalem Plank Road, 69. Jones, Edward, 28. Jordan, Jeremiah, 5. Joy, Benjamin, 54. Joy Street, 12. Keedersville, Md., 20 Kelley's Ford, 22, 44. Kenneston, Illiot, 18. Kent, John, 31, 49. Kent, Lucy, 50, 52. Kent, Rebecca, 50, 53. Kent, Samuel, 50, 52, 53. Kent, Sarah. 50, 53. Keyes, Colonel, Rolin, 5. Keyes, R. W., 41. Kettle, Abigail, 50. Kettle, Mary, 50. Ke
considering extended halfway from School Street to Walnut Street. That part of the Central Hill Park from Walnut Street half-way to School Street at one time, as will hereafter appear, did belong to Abraham Ireland, the great-grandfather of George W. Ireland, but that is as near as the ownership of it ever got to the latter. Of this land a parcel bounding westerly on the church lot above described eighteen rods, southerly on Barberry Lane, and easterly on Walnut Street eighteen rods, containd Charlestown should be searched. What little information I have obtained has been from the records in the registry of deeds and the probate court, and from Wyman. The Jonathan who signed the receipt above recited was the grandfather of George W. Ireland. The deed from Thomas to Frizzell in 1712 says that the fifteen-acre Mousall lot was then bounded northerly by a stone wall. That must have been about ninety rods up Walnut Street from Highland Avenue. So permanent a monument may have c
1 2