Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Edward L. Pierce or search for Edward L. Pierce in all documents.

Your search returned 11 results in 8 document sections:

ss Monroe and vicinity, and Brigadier-General McDowell is appointed to its command. His staff consists of Colonel P. Stone, Fourteenth Infantry, who has recently rendered inestimable services in organizing the District of Columbia Militia; Captain B. O. Tyler, Brevet Captain James B. Fry, and Lieutenant Putnam, of the Topographical Engineers.--N. Y. Herald, May 29. The blockade of the port of Savannah was initiated by the U. S. gunboat Union.--Savannah Republican, May 31. Brigadier-General Pierce, Massachusetts Militia, was appointed to succeed Gen. Butler, promoted. He left for Washington immediately. Col. Waite, Major Sprague, and the other officers who were captured in Texas, and liberated on parole not to serve against the Confederate States, reached Washington, and reported to the War Department. Col. Lefferts, at Battalion Drill, took the sentiment of the Seventh N. Y. S. M., about remaining until ordered home by Government, their time having expired. Furloughs were
e Hampton road. It was still dark, and their colors could not be seen. Their approach also was over a ridge, and as General Pierce and staff, and Colonel Townsend and staff, in a body, rode in advance of their troops, and without any advance guard y harmless. Ten men were wounded by it, and one killed. The Third fell back and formed upon a hill near the road, and Gen. Pierce sent a hurried message to Fortress Monroe for support, in accordance with which the N. Y. First and Second, Cols. Allelso brought his regiment back. Daylight soon divulged the true state of the case, and the force was organized, and Brig.-Gen. Pierce of Mass. assumed the command. Gen. Pierce determined to push on in advance, and the force moved in the followinGen. Pierce determined to push on in advance, and the force moved in the following order:--Col. Duryea with the N. Y. Fifth; Lieut.-Col. Washburne, with the companies from Newport News, and Greble's battery; Col. Townsend, with the N. Y. Third; Col. Allen, with the N. Y. First; and Col. Carr, with the N. Y. Second. When the fir
nd an engagement at once ensued. The number of the rebels is not known, but seven of their number were killed and several taken prisoners.--N. Y. Herald, July 18. The Third Massachusetts Regiment sails from Fortress Monroe for Boston this evening in the Steamer Cambridge. They were reviewed by General Butler to-day.--The Sixth Massachusetts Regiment follows to-morrow.--Col. Max Weber's and Col. Baker's Regiments were to occupy Hampton, but the plan has been somewhat changed.--Brigadier-General Pierce returns with the Massachusetts Regiments.--Col. Duryea will be acting Brigadier-General in Hampton.--Several companies went out from Newport News last night to surprise, if possible, a body of light horse, which have for some time hovered in the vicinity.--National Intelligencer, July 18. In the House of Representatives at Washington, the Committee on Commerce, in response to a resolution directing inquiry as to what measures are necessary to suppress privateering, and render t
Fort Knox; fifty thousand dollars for Hog Island Fort; fifty thousand dollars for Fort Winthrop and exterior batteries ; fifty thousand dollars for fort at New Bedford; fifty thousand dollars for Fort Adams, Newport. The Seventy--sixth Regiment New York State Volunteers, under the command of Colonel Green, and two artillery companies, commanded by Captains von Puttakamer and Ellis, left Albany for the seat of war. They were reviewed in the Park by Governor Morgan, and addressed by Governor Pierce, of Ulster, before their departure. They are a fine body of men, and number one thousand and three hundred strong. Navigation of the Mississippi River was entirely suspended at St. Louis in consequence of the gorging of the ice twenty miles below the city, extending to a point some distance from there, the ferryboats not being able to run, and the ice not being sufficiently strong to bear heavy weights. A flag of truce from Fortress Monroe to the rebels took to-day the foll
the rebels. The rebels commenced leaving on Thursday last, and finished yesterday.--(Doc. 73.) Gen. Banks's forces occupied Martinsburgh, Va., without opposition. Among the many prisoners taken was Rev. T. J. McNeigh, Chaplain of the Second Virginia infantry. He was captured by company K, Michigan cavalry, Capt. Mann, near Perryville. The steamer Atlantic sailed from New York for Port Royal, S. C., with a large cargo of army stores, and about sixty persons, who accompany Mr. Edward L. Pierce, the Government agent in charge of the plantations and contrabands at Port Royal. These persons were all recommended by the National Freedman's Relief Association, and its auxiliary, the Educational Committee, at Boston. Three fourths of the whole number are men who are to be the superintendents of the abandoned estates, and will direct the labors of the negroes, who are to be employed in such agricultural pursuits as cotton-culture and raising vegetables for their own support and f
rth of Cedar Keys and its dependencies, and thence north to the Georgia line.--Benham's General Orders, No. 1. To-night an armed boat expedition was fitted out from Com. Foote's squadron, and the land forces off Island Number10, in the Mississippi River, under command of Col. Roberts, of the Forty-second Illinois regiment. The five boats comprising the expedition, were in charge of First Master J. V. Johnson, of the St. Louis, assisted by Fourth Master G. P. Lord, of the Benton, Fourth Master Pierce, of the Cincinnati, Fourth Master Morgan, of the Pittsburgh, and Master's Mate Scanille, of the Mound City, each with a boat's crew of ten men from their respective vessels, carrying in all one hundred men, exclusive of officers, under the command of Colonel Roberts. At midnight the boats reached the upper or Number Ten Fort, and pulling directly on its face, carried it, receiving only the harmless fire of two sentinels, who ran on discharging their muskets, while the rebel troops in
. A.: All persons of color lately held to involuntary service by enemies of the United States, in Fort Pulaski and on Cockspur Island, Ga., are hereby confiscated and declared free, in conformity with law, and shall hereafter receive the fruits of their own labor. Such of said persons of color as are able-bodied, and may be required, shall be employed in the Quartermaster's Department, at the rate heretofore established by Brig.-Gen. W. T. Sherman. Gen. Hunter also addressed to Mr. Pierce, the Treasury Agent in charge of the Sea Island plantations, a letter asking for the names of the former owners, and the number of persons formerly held to involuntary service, in charge of the Government agents. On receiving this information, it is the intention of (Gen. hunter to afford said owners a reasonable time to prove their fealty to the Government, and then in case of their failure to do so, and upon sufficient proof of their treason, he will at once restore these slaves to free
, two wounded, and the rest made prisoners.--New Bedford Mercury, June 23. Parker Spring, superintending the construction of United States Military telegraph lines, gave an account, in a letter to the Lancaster (Pa.) Express, of the services of the Morse telegraph to the army, and of General McClellan's use of it.--(Doc. 129.) A party of National scouts captured the mate and six seamen belonging to the rebel gunboat Beauregard, at a point nearly opposite Fulton, Missouri. Edward L. Pierce, Special Agent of the Treasury Department of the United States, made a report concerning the condition of the freedmen of South-Carolina.--The Union forces under Major-Gen. Hunter, operating against Charleston, S. C., this day landed on James Island, under cover of the gunboats, without opposition. To~day the Union fleet of gunboats (eight vessels) moved up the James River from their former position at City Point, toward the rebel batteries below Richmond, Va. When some distance up