Your search returned 34 results in 14 document sections:
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MEDFORD, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, FROM ITS FIRST SETTLEMENT, IN 1630, TO THE PRESENT TIME, 1855. (ed. Charles Brooks), Index. (search)
Sassacus, Indian chief; born near Groton, Conn., about 1560; chief of the Pequod Indians, feared greatly by the settlers of the New England coast. In 1637 his tribe murdered several women at Wethersfield, and took two girls captive. On June 5, 1637, the colonists attacked the Pequod settlement on the Mystic River and won a victory. Sassacus, however, escaped to the Mohawks, by whom he was murdered the same month.
George P. Rowell and Company's American Newspaper Directory containing accurate lists of all the newspapers and periodicals published in the United States and territories, and the dominion of Canada, and British Colonies of North America, together with a description of the towns and cities in which they are published: description of towns and cities. (ed. George P. Rowell and company),
Connecticut, Mystic bridge, New London County, Connecticut (search)
Mystic bridge, New London County, Connecticut a village of 6,000 pop., on Mystic River and the Stonington Railroad, in Stonington township.
Charles A. Nelson , A. M., Waltham, past, present and its industries, with an historical sketch of Watertown from its settlement in 1630 to the incorporation of Waltham, January 15, 1739., Index. (search)
Index. Aberginians: Indians between Mystic and Charles Rivers, 11 n. 4 Abousett River, 38 n. 2. Adam's Chair, named by Gov. Winthrop, 26; location of 28, 97 n. 2. Adams, Alvin, residence, 50. Adams, John, passes through Waltham on way to New York, 108. Adventurers, the merely speculative, 9. Aetna Mill Co., 128. Aetna Mills, 100, 125. Agawam visited, 34. Alarm, first general, at night, 18. Allowance to those distressed by the Indian War, 62. Altercation, a political, begins at Watertown, 28; its result, 30. American Watch Co., incorporated, 136; factory buildings, 136, 138; accuracy of their watch movements, 137; delicate precision of machine work, 136. Amsterdam, ships from, 15. Ammunition for each soldier prescribed, 18. Angier, Rev., Samuel, pastor in new meeting-house, 54; death of, 55; records kept by, 56. Anti-war sermon by Mr. Ripley, 109. Appleton, Nahan, encourages cotton manufacture, 130; first agent for selling goods, 13
Mystic river improvements. As we go to press, work is resumed on the Mystic river dam. We record some facts relative thereto, wishing that in 1638 Cradock's men had recorded likewise, also Thomas Broughton, in 1656, when he built his dam up stream. The present is a far cry from the time when Winthrop was the first white maMystic river dam. We record some facts relative thereto, wishing that in 1638 Cradock's men had recorded likewise, also Thomas Broughton, in 1656, when he built his dam up stream. The present is a far cry from the time when Winthrop was the first white man to sail up the Mistick six miles, or Mrs. Dalkin forded the river by a firm grip on her dog's tail. Three years ago some workmen, from a boat, made a series of borings in the river's bed, while some bystanders said it was to let the water run through. These were to ascertain the nature of the ground on which the dam was to
he other section and turning the water's course through the lock.
On November 10 a temporary gate was closed therein, and for the first time in the history of Mystic river the tides of ocean ceased to ebb and flow above Cradock bridge.
Daily the fresh water accumulated above the weirs, and at tide's ebb was allowed to flow out.
The River's death Roll. MEDFORD has paid her toll to Neptune as often as he has relentlessly demanded, and it has meant the sacrifice of the young and the old, the townsman and the stranger, the great and the humble. It happens whenever and wherever the spirit of human curiosity, ambition, or adventure sets itself against the strength of the god of the waters. In the following list, compiled by Francis A. Wait, the deaths were in the Mystic river, unless otherwise noted:— NAMETIMEAGE Asyeil, DavidSept. 13, 184618 Beard, Lewis FoundApr. 9, 184938 Blanchard, SamuelMar. 27, 18198 Boffee—s, Thomas June 4, 178514 Bradbury, Henry Wymond Nov. 8, 1810 6 Brill, William S. G. Mar. 3, 1806 10 Brooks, Samuel (suposs'd to have been lost at Sea） 1800 Butterfield, Isaac W. Apr. 4, 1842 Butters, William H. (by a fall from Mast head on board the ship James L. Shepard） On the second floor of a building setting back from Main street, near Cradock bridge, on the northerly c
Mystic river made over. Could some old observant Medfordite of seventy years ago pass over the river's entire course in a forty-foot motor-boat (as we did last summer), or along the Parkway in a swift automobile, he would note a marked change from the Mystic of his time. How these changes have been wrought is worth noting in Medford history, even though it seem technical. With our knowledge of modern engineering difficulties, we have wondered how Labor-in-vain was cut off. Our river is deeper now than before, though from Wear to Cradock bridge no tides ebb and flow in its less serpentine course. because of the dam at the latter site. But how many know of another dam that once lay across its course? In the work of deepening the channel below Usher bridge a dredge of the orange-peel type was used. This was mounted upon a double scow and deposited the material on either bank. The season of 1908 was one of drought, and the natural flow of the river was insufficient to
Old Shipping days. The Register has noted the last Medford-built ship, the Pilgrim. As none are now afloat it would be interesting to know of their style of build, kind, and time of service, and their final fate. The age of the Pilgrim was less than nineteen years. Her cargo, when wrecked, coal. All hands escaped. We have never seen any account of the fate of any other of the long list (567) of those built along the banks of the Mystic until within a few days of present writing, when there came to us the recent brochure of the State Street Trust Company of Boston, styled Old Shipping Days. In this we find the story of the wreck of the Living Age, which by the courtesy and permission of said Trust Company we present. In 1846 the Rev. A. R. Baker (then twelve years pastor of the Second, or First Trinitarian, Congregational Church)preached a sermon onship-building,and appended a register of vessels built in Medford, which then numbered 359. Mr. Baker is certainly to be commen
Why Aberjona? By Sylvester Baxter, a member of, and by permission of, the Maiden Historical Society. In looking up some data in early local history I have just come across something that seems to throw a light upon one of our old geographical names whose origin has always puzzled me and which, so far as I know, appears to be unknown. The Mystic river—which geologically has a peculiar interest as having in the preglacial period actually been the Merrimac, carrying the greater stream by a short cut from near Lowell to Massachusetts Bay—has, since the first settlements, borne two names in different parts of its course, although the entire valley has been known as that of the Mystic. From its confluence with the Charles, near the Navy Yard, up through its tidal reaches, or what were tidal until the building of the dam and locks at Medford, up to the Mystic Lakes, it has been called the Mystic. Above the lakes, from Wilmington down through Woburn and Winchester, it appears to ha