Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 7. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for 12th or search for 12th in all documents.

Your search returned 25 results in 18 document sections:

1 2
ral men. I have been in many battles, but I never saw, and never wish to see, such a fire as that poured on us on June fourteenth. It was not terrible — it was horrible. Our division (Second) stormed about a mile from the Mississippi. We left our camp where I wrote you last at twelve o'clock midnight, on the thirteenth, and proceeded to the left, arriving just at daylight, where the balance of our brigade (Second) awaited us. Colonel Benedict arrived from opposite Port Hudson on the twelfth, and our regiment was transferred from the First to the Second brigade, and he placed in command. The movement to the left took all by surprise; but we got in shape behind a piece of woods which concealed the enemy's works and rested. The First brigade went in first and we followed — the Third brigade being a reserve. I saw the First brigade file left and move on, but saw no more of it. When the order came to move on, we did so in column of company, at full distance. Ask some good milit
e flight of the enemy from Raymond left the way open to Jackson, the capital of Mississippi, and General Grant determined to march his army in that direction. This involved a change in the direction of his movements. Up to this time Edwards's Station, to which I had been leading the advance, was the objective point. Here it was known the enemy had concentrated a considerable force, and intended to accept battle when offered. Jackson now became the objective point. On the night of the twelfth, I was ordered by Major-General Grant to move on the following morning on the north side of Fourteen-Mile Creek to Raymond. At this time my corps rested within four miles of Edwards's Station, with an outpost only three and a picket only two miles from that place. The outpost of the enemy had been driven back from the creek, and he was fully advised of the fact and of our proximity. The movement ordered was a delicate and hazardous one, but was calculated to deceive the enemy as to our
bridge left at Falling Waters had been partially destroyed. The enemy had not yet made his appearance, but, as he was in condition to obtain large reenforcements, and our situation for the reasons above mentioned was becoming daily more embarrassing, it was deemed advisable to recross the river. Part of the pontoon-bridge was recovered, and new boats built, so that by the thirteenth a good bridge was thrown over the river at Falling Waters. The enemy in force reached our front on the twelfth. A position had been previously selected to cover the Potomac from Williamsport to Falling Waters, and an attack was awaited during that and the succeeding day. This did not take place, though the two armies were in close proximity, the enemy being occupied in fortifying his own lines. Our preparations being completed, and the river, though still deep, being pronounced fordable, the army commenced to withdraw to the south side on the night of the thirteenth. Ewell's corps forded the ri
til noon of May sixth, distance sixty-three miles. We crossed over the river during the night of the sixth and day of the seventh, and on the eighth marched eighteen miles out to Hankinson's Ferry, across the Big Black, relieving Crocker's division of McPherson's corps. . At noon of the tenth, by order of General Grant, the floating bridge across the Black was effectually destroyed, and the troops marched forward to Big Sandy. On the eleventh we marched to Auburn, and on the morning of the twelfth, at Fourteen Mile Creek, first met opposition. The Fourth Iowa cavalry, Lieut.-Colonel Swan, commanding, leading the advance, was fired on as it approached the bridge across the creek. One man was killed, and the horse of Major Winslow was shot under him. Lieut.-Colonel Swan dismounted the men armed with carbines, (about one hundred,) and began to skirmish with the enemy, which afterward proved to be Wirt Adams's cavalry, but the bushes were so dense that nothing could be seen but the puf
ops must approach. One of these lanes was continued through the thick underbrush for several hundred yards, and at short intervals were rude abatis and pits. Had it not been for our shells, the advance would have been very fatal. The defeat of the rebels was disheartening and disastrous. Stand Waitie fled, and with only two companions crossed the Arkansas and returned to the rebel camp near Fort Gibson. So we were informed by their pickets on the sixth. Our trains moved on after burying the dead, and reached Fort Gibson on the morning of the fifth. Their advent was hailed with delight by the garrison and its commander. Supplies were short and the fresh troops much needed. Every body was in good spirits. General Blunt arrived on the twelfth, having been met at Cabin Creek on the tenth by the returning train. He will soon dispose of the rebel force in that vicinity at an early day, make a sweep on Fort Smith, and ere he return to Fort Scott, wake up the Red River valley.
ned him near Ringgold on the eleventh, and the whole corps moved rapidly and successfully across to Gordon's Mill on the twelfth. Wilder, following and covering the movement, had a severe fight at Lett's tan-yard. During the same day, the Fourthsion participated, skilfully covering and securing their trains, to a strong position in front of Stevens's Gap. On the twelfth, Reynolds and Brannan, under orders to move promptly, closed up to the support of these two advanced divisions. Durinn the eleventh it marched thence to Ringgold, via Graysville, at which place we joined the rest of the division. On the twelfth it marched from Ringgold to Gordon's Mills, acting as advance-guard of the division. During the day's march, a body of it would certainly have been worth his while to render the railroads immediately unserviceable. On the morning of the twelfth, Crittenden's divisions, at Ringgold, were put in march for Gordon's Mills, to join Wood, and diminish the distance isol
x of one thousand dollars each on the three mills of the place; and finished up by robbing all the houses in the place. At one or two houses, the inhabitants had locked up and fled at their approach, but they broke in the doors and helped themselves to all they could find. On Saturday, July eleventh, we encamped at Vienna, where the rebels had burnt the bridge, and we found that Morgan had struck for Lexington and thence north; so leaving camp again at five o'clock on the morning of the twelfth, we followed on to Paris, where the rebels had made but a short stay, being apprehensive that we were too close in their rear for their own comfort. At Vernon, Morgan sent in to Colonel Lowe, who commanded the one thousand two hundred militia who had assembled at that point, demanding a surrender. Colonel Lowe replied: Come and take it. Morgan then notified him to remove all the women and children, which was done. He then surrounded the town, burnt the bridges, and did all the damage th
hat the soldiers, ignorant of its nature, partook of antimonial wine. The operations of the siege, aside from the terrible blunder of General Lauman on the twelfth instant, were conducted with the loss of but few lives, as was also the skirmishing in advancing from Vicksburgh. This morning I rode over the ground upon which General Lauman operated his division in the affair of the twelfth instant, concerning which I wrote you from Black River bridge on Tuesday last. A view of the ground enables one to form a correct idea of the manner in which the blundering movement was made, which terminated so disastrously. General Lauman's division was attached to General Ord's army corps, being the extreme right. On the morning of the twelfth, General Hovey, whose division was next to the left, advanced his line about half a mile, and General Lauman was ordered to advance his line until his left rested upon General Hovey's right. Lauman's right did not extend to Pearl River, as was rep
when we took up our line of march for Westport via Eminence and Lagrange, reaching Westport at twelve o'clock at midnight, having marched seventy-three miles over a very rough and hilly road, with but four hours halt at Eminence for rest, feed, and water. At Westport, Charles Laturner, private, company G, was accidentally shot through the body, and was left at that place under proper care. Morgan having crossed the Ohio River into Indiana, we took transports on Sunday morning, the twelfth instant, for Madison, Indiana, in order to cut him off, leaving behind company I, of my command, a portion of the Ninth, with all our extra baggage, wagons, etc., in command of Colonel David, not having transportation sufficient for the entire command. At Madison we found Morgan had got ahead of us, so we moved on to Lawrenceburgh, Indiana, where Major Mix was sent out to reconnoitre the enemy, learn his force, etc. He proceeded to Guilford, ten miles, and reported again in three hours to the
23. On the twenty-third, Major-General Stanley, commanding the cavalry, returned from his expedition to Huntsville, Alabama. The object of the raid was to collect as many negroes as possible for service in the colored command, and all the horses and mules yet in the country, for the use of the army. The expedition, consisting of the cavalry divisions of Generals Mitchell and Turchin, started from Salem on the thirteenth instant. Colonel Long, with his brigade, took the advance on the twelfth, while Colonel Galbraith, on the same day, with the First Middle Tennessee and Third Ohio, took the road leading to Pulaski, by way of Fayetteville. The main column proceeded as far as New-Market, where a halt was ordered, and foraging parties were sent through the country to collect supplies — the command having started with the intention of subsisting off of the country. Irregularities and insufferable outrages in the way of foraging having been practised by soldiers on former exped
1 2