Your search returned 55 results in 19 document sections:

1 2
each for substitutes was offered in Richmond, Va.--Captain Alexander, of Wolford's Kentucky cavalry, with sixty picked men and horses, crossed Cumberland River at Howe's Ford, two miles north of Mill Spring, and had a skirmish with a party of rebel pickets. Later in the day Lieutenant-Colonel Adams of the same regiment, with three hundred men followed Captain Alexander, and the combined force under Colonel Adams proceeded as far as Steubenville, where he met a body of rebel cavalry under Chenault, drawn up in line of battle. The Colonel with ninety men prepared for a charge, but as soon as his horses struck the gallop, the enemy dispersed in confusion, leaving four of their number with their horses and equipment in the hands of the Nationals.-The Union steamers Swan and Commeree, having been blockaded in Nansemond River, Va., for several days, were this day run past the rebel batteries and taken to Suffolk.--Great excitement existed at Uniontown, Pa., rumors being prevalent of a re
ly to General John Morgan that the Fourth day of July was no day for me to entertain such a proposition. After receiving the reply, he opened fire with his artillery and musketry. My force, which occupied the open field, were withdrawn to the woods where they engaged the enemy with a determination not to be defeated. The battle raged for three and a half (3 1/2) hours, when the enemy retreated with a loss of over fifty (50) killed and two hundred (200) wounded. Among the killed were Colonel Chenault, Major Brent, another major, and five (5) captains, and six (6) lieutenants, as near as can be estimated. The conflict was fierce and bloody. At times the enemy occupied one side of the fallen timber, while my men held the other, in almost a hand-to-hand fight. The enemy's force consisted of the greater part of Morgan's division. My force was a fraction of my regiment, consisting of two hundred (200) men, who fought gallantly. I cannot say too much in their praise. Our loss wa
re we are informed that Morgan left Elizabethtown on his right, and struck for Brandenburgh, commencing to cross the Ohio River on the Alice Dean and the J. T. McCoombs. On the morning of the ninth, we again started in pursuit, feeling a little elated to find that we have gained something on him in the journey. We captured three prisoners shortly after leaving Laurenceville, who told us that at the fight at Green River they lost one hundred and ten men in killed and wounded, including Colonel Chenault, one major and four captains. As we drew near to Brandenburgh we saw a thick smoke rising up from the river, and quickened our speed in hopes of arriving in time to prevent the destruction of property which we presumed was going on, but as we arrived in the town we could see down in the river the Alice Dean burning rapidly away on the other side of the stream, while far back on the opposite shore of the river, could be seen the rear-guard of Morgan's force rapidly disappearing in the d
n, and the entire arrange ment of his defence entitles him to the highest credit for military skill. We would mark such a man in our army for promotion. We attacked the place with two regiments, sending the remainder of our force across at an-other ford. The place was judiciously chosen and skilfully defended, and the result was that we were repulsed with severe loss — about twenty-five killed and twenty wounded. Among the killed, as usual, were our best men and officers, including Colonel Chenault, Major Brent, Captain Tribble, Lieutenants Cowan, Ferguson, and an-other lieutenant whose name I do not remember. Our march thus far has been very fatiguing — bad roads, little rest or sleep, little to eat, and a fight every day. Yet our men are cheerful, even buoyant. ant, and to see them pressing along barefooted, hurrahing and singing, would cause one to appreciate what those who are fighting in a just and holy cause will endure. About three o'clock, as I rode on about forty yards
nt found the advance of Wolford's celebrated Kentucky cavalry, numbering two hundred and fifty men, dispersed it, killing seven and wounding fifteen men. Our loss, two killed and two wounded. Marched on to stockade, at Green River, on the fourth. Colonel Johnson, commanding the Second brigade, attacking stockade rifle-pits and abattis of timber. After heavy slaughter on both sides, our forces withdrew — loss about sixty killed and wounded on each side. Of Morgan's command, the gallant Colonel Chenault fell pierced through the head by a Minie ball, as he led his men in a charge upon the riflepits. The lion-hearted Major Brent also poured out his life-blood upon the field. Indeed, this was the darkest day that ever shone upon our command--eleven commissioned officers were killed and nine wounded. Moving on to Lebanon on the fifth, we attacked the town, (fortified,) and after five hours hard fighting, captured the place, with a vast amount of stores, four hundred and eighty-three pris
to orders, and striking July 4. Green river at Tebb's bend; where 200 of the 25th Michigan, Col. O. H. Moore, had, wholly within the last 24 hours, intrenched themselves, formed abatis, &c., and prepared to stay. Morgan summoned them in due form, and was courteously informed by Moore that, on account of this being the glorious Fourth, he could n't entertain the proposition. Morgan, having two regiments at hand, forthwith assaulted; and a desperate fight of some hours ensued, wherein Col. Chenault, Maj. Brent, and several more of his best officers were killed, and he was finally compelled to draw off, badly worsted. Moore had but 6 killed, 23 wounded. Morgan lost 25 killed and 20 wounded. They say. Moore says 50 killed, 250 wounded. Moving thence on Lebanon, which was held by Col. Hanson, Brother of Roger W., the Rebel General. 20th Ky., with 400 of his men, Morgan summoned it at sunrise, July 5. and was refused. After spending seven hours in fruitless efforts to re
the other cavalry until Col. Moore had surrendered. The force of the enemy could not have been much less than four thousand men, composed of the two regiments of infantry already named, three full regiments and two battalions of cavalry, and twelve pieces of artillery. The cavalry was mostly made up of Tennessee and Kentucky men, with the exception of three companies of Texan Rangers under the command of Col. Gano. The three cavalry regiments were commanded respectively by Cols. Duke, Chenault, and Bennett, and the other battalion by Major Stoner. The two infantry regiments were commanded by the infamous Kentucky traitor, Roger W. Hanson, and the artillery was partly attached to his brigade, partly to the cavalry, and partly independent. The entire force was commanded by Brigadier-General John Morgan. As soon as possible after the surrender, the rebels collected their prisoners together, and commenced plundering our camps. The prisoners were then taken across the river; but
were delays of an unavoidable character, every detail was promptly and faithfully executed. There has been, we dare say, no feat of arms so brilliant or so completely triumphant in the Western department as this; indeed, we doubt if the annals of the war can present another instance of equal daring. The forces engaged in the affair on our side were the Ninth and Second Kentucky infantry, commanded by Col. Thomas H. Hunt, numbering six hundred and eighty men, and the cavalry regiments of Chenault, Cluke, Bennett, and Huffman, with Cobb's Kentucky battery. All told, our forces were about one thousand three hundred. The enemy was the Thirty-ninth brigade of Dumont's division, composed of three regiments, one battalion, a squadron of cavalry, and section of artillery. It was commanded by Col. Abraham B. Moore, of Peru, Lasalle County, Illinois, whose commission, we are authorized to say, is now in possession of Corporal Whelan, company K, Second Kentucky. The attack was made jus
crossing, should reenforcements be required on either side. I also telegraphed Gen. Boyle all the information of importance and asked him for additional ammunition for infantry, and sponges, rammers, sights, elevating screws, etc., for the siege-guns. On the twenty-fourth, I had taken all pains to learn the real strength of the enemy, which I found variously estimated at from three thousand to four thousand five hundred, commanded by Major-Gen. Morgan, the regiments by Duke, Gano, Cluke, Chenault, Bennett, Stoner, and Breckinridge, with White's battery of eight guns, the largest a twelve-pounder. White's name is supposed to be Robinson, formerly of Kentucky. At five o'clock A. M., December twenty-fifth, I again ordered the Twelfth Kentucky cavalry, Col. Shanks, to Cave City and beyond to Bear Wallow, with the first and second battalions; the third, under Major Stout, being ordered on the Greensburgh road to Burnt Bridge Ford, north of (Green River, and two companies each, Fourth
et. We were in camp near Stanford, when our scouts announced the approach of a large force of the enemy by way of Monticello. From the fact that they had a long wagon-train, and the advance was composed of cavalry and artillery as they passed through Wayne County from the direction of Knoxville, we all concluded that they told the truth for once when they announced a formidable invasion of the State under Breckinridge, Morgan, and Pegram. They left their wagon-train beyond the river with Chenault, Hamilton, and Champ Ferguson, with their commands, to protect their crossings on the Cumberland, and to press wagons, horses, negroes, and cattle in that vicinity, while the rest made an invasion of the central parts of the State. A printed handbill was also found by our scouts, signed by Morgan's Adjutant-General, giving all Union men of conscript age three days to leave the State or be conscripted into the Southern army. They crossed the Cumberland in three places, and those coming int
1 2