Your search returned 1,004 results in 122 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
mules, though tough and hardy, died of disease much as did the horses. Glanders took off a great many, and black tongue, a disease peculiar to them, caused the death of many more. But, with all their outs, they were of invaluable service to the armies, and well deserve the good opinions which came to prevail regarding their many excellent qualities as beasts of burden. Here is an incident of the war in which the mule was the hero of the hour:-- On the night of Oct. 28, 1863, when General Geary's Division of the Twelfth Corps repulsed the attacking forces of Longstreet at Wauhatchie, Tennessee, about two hundred mules, affrighted by the din of battle, rushed in the darkness into the midst of Wade Hampton's Rebel troops, creating something of a panic among them, and causing a portion of them to fall back, supposing that they were at Charge of the mule brigade. tacked by cavalry. Some one in the Union army, who knew the circumstances, taking Tennyson's Charge of the light brig
Faneuil Hall, 31,45 First Bull Run, 27, 251-53,298, 340,356 Flags, 338-40 Foraging, 231-49 Ford, M. F., 264 Fort Hell, 59,385 Fort Independence, 44 Fort Lyon, 255 Fort McAllister, 406 Fort Monroe, 120, 162 Fort Moultrie, 22 Fort Sedgewick, 385 Fort Sumter, 22 Fort Warren, 44-45 Fort Welch, Va., 162 Fredericksburg, 100,237,308, 391 Fremont, John C., 46 French, William H., 307,353 Fresh Pond, Mass., 45 Games, 65-66 Garrison, William L., 20 Geary, John W., 295 Georgetown, 298 Germanna Ford, Va., 317 Gettysburg, 54, 72,239, 259,273, 378,406 Goldsboro, N. C., 264 Grand Army of the Republic, 98, 228,268 Grant, Ulysses S., 115, 121, 240, 263,286,317,340, 350,362,370, 405; his Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant, 279, 291, 317,359-62, 370-71 Griffin, Charles S., 329 Hampton, Wade, 295,321 Hancock, Winfield S., 208,254, 266-67,327,363,384 Hardtack, 96-97,110,113-19 Harpers Ferry, 287 Harrison's Landing, Va., 51,356
superior officers.--Louisville Journal, Sept. 17. About three o'clock this afternoon a force of five hundred rebels attacked a portion of the troops under Col. Geary, stationed about three miles above Harper's Ferry, on the Potomac. Col. Geary commanded in person, and the fight lasted about three hours. The enemy were driveCol. Geary commanded in person, and the fight lasted about three hours. The enemy were driven from every house and breastwork, and no less than seventy-five of them are reported as killed and wounded. The National loss is one killed and a few slightly wounded. The troops behaved like veterans. Companies B, D, and I, of the Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania regiment, and two companies of the Thirteenth Massachusetts, were engaged in the conflict. During the fight a rebel was seen taking aim at Col. Geary, when the colonel grasped a rifle from a soldier and shot him on the spot.--(Doc. 50.) The Thirty-ninth Ohio, Colonel Groesbeck; Third Iowa, Lieutenant-Colonel Scott; Sixteenth Illinois, Colonel Smith, with a force of the Missouri State Militia
sent there who is more acceptable to the people north of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad; and, under his command, the Union troops, whether Federal or State, are willing to do battle.--National Intelligencer, Sept. 28. A portion of Colonel Geary's force had an action to-day with five hundred rebels on the Virginia side of the Potomac, near Point of Rocks. They were sheltered on a high point on the Catochin Mountain, and in houses at the base. They were driven away by the rifles and battery of Colonel Geary, and the houses burnt. Several of the enemy were killed and wounded. None of the Federal troops were hurt.--N. Y. Times, Sept. 26. The Fifth regiment of Vermont Volunteers, under the command of Col. H. A. Smalley, passed through Jersey City, N. J., on their way to the seat of war. It numbers one thousand and seventy men.--Idem, Sept. 25. This night a party of about fifty mounted rebels rode into Warsaw, Ky., and broke into a building in which there were sto
September 30. Early this morning Colonel Geary marched from Point of Rocks to Berlin, Md., with three companies of infantry and two pieces of artillery. Immediately upon his arrival there he opened upon the rebel works with shell, and in a half hour dislodged the rebels effectually from every position they occupied.--Baltimore American.
d his lady were given the greatest number of cheers. The affair was one that will be long remembered in Annapolis, both from the importance of the occasion and the historical reminiscences of the city.--Baltimore American, October 19. Col. John W. Geary, of the Pennsylvania Twenty-eighth regiment, with detachments from his own, the Thirteenth Mass., and Third Wisconsin regiments, in all four hundred men, crossed the Potomac at Harper's Ferry, and captured twenty-one thousand bushels of wheHeights participated in the action, as did also a National battery upon the Maryland side. After several hours of intermittent fighting, the rebels were driven off, supposed with considerable loss. National loss four killed and eight wounded. Col. Geary took from the rebels one thirty-two pounder.--(Doc. 90.) Indiana disputes the statement that New Hampshire is the first State that has her full quota of volunteers in actual service. Indiana, whose quota is thirty-four thousand, has thirt
ernment's intention to establish a permanent depot for naval and military purposes at Port Royal, S. C., orders were this day given for the preparation of lumber for the construction of buildings for a depot at Port Royal, for the manufacture of all kinds of machinery for naval and other purposes, also to despatch at once storeships, which are to be permanently stationed at that point.--N. Y. Herald, Nov. 15. There was a skirmish in Loudon County, opposite Point of Rocks, Maryland. Colonel Geary had received information of the intention of the rebels to erect fortifications in that neighborhood. He crossed the river with Captain Chapman and twenty-five picked men of the Pennsylvania regiment, reconnoitred the vicinity, and found a force of rebels upon whom he quietly closed and surprised with a volley of shots. After firing two or three volleys, the rebels were routed, leaving three men and one horse dead on the field. Gen. Lockwood, with the expedition for the eastern sh
which characterize the true patriot and soldier; and in the community in which he lived no man was more beloved or had more devoted friends.--Richmond Dispatch, Dec. 27. Captain Ricketts, First Artillery U. S. A., who was wounded and captured at the battle of Bull Run, arrived at Washington, released on parole, accompanied by his wife. At ten o'clock this morning a rebel battery of three guns, flanked with about two hundred infantry, suddenly commenced shelling the encampment of Col. Geary's Pennsylvania regiment, near Point of Rocks, Md. About twenty shells, well aimed, fell in the midst of the encampment — the first within a few feet of Lieut.-Col. De Korponay, commanding. The six companies in camp were well deployed and entrenched. The Twenty-eight regiment opened fire with two guns — the first shot disabling one of the rebel guns, and the second falling in the centre. The Union battery then advanced and poured a continuous fire into them, silencing all their guns and
Va., was again the scene of stirring events resulting in the greater portion of it being reduced to ashes. A rebel flag of truce having approached the river, a boat was sent over to them, which was fired upon and one of the boatmen killed. Colonel Geary immediately ordered the shelling of the houses in which the rebel riflemen were concealed, including the Wager Hotel, all of which were subsequently burned. Another rebel flag afterwards approached the river, but Colonel Geary warned them ofed the river, but Colonel Geary warned them off, refusing to receive it.--(Doc. 29.) A resolution in favor of confiscating, liberating, and also arming the slaves of rebels, if it should become a military necessity, passed the State Senate of Maine to-day by a vote of twenty-four against four. The Lower House of Kansas, by a vote of sixty to seven, passed a resolution requesting President Lincoln to appoint General Lane a Major-General, and give him command of the Southern expedition.
board the steamer. Twenty — seven gentlemen and four ladies from Boston; twenty-one gentlemen and seven ladies from New York, and Miss Susan Walker, Mrs. Walter R. Johnson, and Miss Mary Donalson, from Washington and Philadelphia, subscribed to the oath. No man who would not, in case of necessity, fight for his country was permitted to go to Port Royal to assist in the management of the contrabands.--(Doc. 74.) Four regiments of rebels, with a four-gun battery, attempted to flank Colonel Geary, near Lovettsville, Va., but were driven off without a skirmish. An engagement took place between the National forces, under command of Gen. Pope, and the rebels, about two miles north of New Madrid, Mo. After a fight of between two and three hours, the National forces retired a short distance, having met with a slight loss from the fire of the rebel gunboats.--(Doc. 75.) -an order, dated at St. Louis, Mo., was issued to-day by Maj.-Gen. Halleck, U. S.A., establishing regulati
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...