hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865 81 3 Browse Search
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Massachusetts in the Army and Navy during the war of 1861-1865, vol. 2 4 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 85 results in 11 document sections:

1 2
Adjutant,—Garth W. James. Quartermaster,—John Ritchie. Company A. Capt., John W. M. Appleton. 1st Lieut., Wm. Homans. Company B. Capt., Samuel Willard [Mann]. 1st Lieut., James M. Walton. 2d Lieut., Thomas L. Appleton. Company C. 1st Lieut., James W. Grace. 2d Lieut., Benjamin F. Dexter. Company D. Capt., Edward L. Jones. 1st Lieut., R. H. L. Jewett. Company E. Capt., Luis F. Emilio. 2d Lieut., David Reid. Company F. Capt., Watson W. Bridge. 2d Lieut., Alexander Johnston. Company G. 1st Lieut., Orin E. Smith. 2d Lieut., James A. Pratt. Company H. Capt., Cabot J. Russel. 2d Lieut., Willard Howard. Company I. Capt., George Pope. 1st Lieut., Francis L. Higginson. 2d Lieut., Charles E. Tucker. Company K. Capt., William H. Simpkins. 2d Lieut., Henry W. Littlefield. Lewis H. Douglass, a son of Frederick Douglass, was the original sergeant-major. Arthur B. Lee, of Company A, was made commissary-sergeant; and Theodore J. Becker, hospital stewa
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 5: the greater assault on Wagner. (search)
this faithful soldier, who came to him as he lay in the embrasure, Captain Appleton's attention was distracted, and the gun was fired. In the fighting upon the slopes of Wagner, Captains Russel and Simpkins were killed or mortally wounded. Captain Pope there received a severe wound in the shoulder. All these events had taken place in a short period of time. The charge of the Fifty-fourth had been made and repulsed before the arrival of any other troops. Those who had clung to the bloodties:— Officers. Col. R. G. Shaw killed Lieut.-Col. E. N. Hallowell wounded Adjt. G. W. James wounded Capt. S. Willard wounded Capt. C. J. Russel missing, supposed to be killed Capt. W. H. Simpkins missing, supposed to be killed Capt. Geo. Pope wounded Capt. E. L. Jones wounded Capt. J. W. M. Appleton wounded Capt. O. E. Smith wounded 1st Lieut. R. H. L. Jewett wounded 1st Lieut. Wm. H. Homans wounded 2d Lieut. C. E. Tucker wounded 2d Lieut. J. A. Pratt wounded Enlisted
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 7: bombardment of Charleston. (search)
y, falling forward on his face a quivering corpse. Christmas day was cold and windy. The only noteworthy event in camp was the arrival of a mail. Besides fatigue parties a detail for grand guard of two hundred and fifty men went out under Captain Pope. Our rifles had sounded their fearful Christmas chimes by throwing shells into the city for three hours after one o'clock that morning. About 3 A. M. a fire broke out in Charleston which illumined the whole sky and destroyed twelve buildingsn, captain of Company H; Second Lieutenants David Reid, Emerson, and Tomlinson became first lieutenants; Lieutenants A. W. Leonard, Lewis Reed, Alfred H. Knowles, Robert R. Newell, and Chas. M. Duren, newly appointed, reported. Captains Jones and Pope and Assistant-Surgeon Pease re-joined. Surgeon Stone went North, and was then appointed surgeon, United States Volunteers. Lieutenant Higginson was promoted while absent sick, and was afterward transferred to the Fifth Massachusetts Cavalry as ca
camp with Company E from Fort Green, on the 8th, when relieved by Lieutenant Newell with Company B. Captain Tucker and Company H reported from Black Island on the 20th, and Lieutenant Duren and Company D were relieved at Fort Shaw on the 23d. Captain Pope succeeded Captain Homans in the command of Black Island on the 24th. Our details for grand guard were increased after the 16th, when the Thirty-second United States Colored Troops was ordered to Hilton Head. Salutes in honor of Admiral Far B. Fisk, and reported at camp to proceed with the regiment. Lieutenant Littlefield was ordered to remain in charge of the camp and sick on Morris Island. Owing to the scarcity of transportation, the Fifty-fourth departed in detachments. Acting Major Pope, with Companies A, D, I, and K, crossed to Folly Island on the evening of the 26th, made a night march, and arrived at Stono about midnight. At dark the next day this force embarked with the Fifty-sixth New York and General Hatch and staff
h Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper, commanding, Acting Major Pope, Surgeon Briggs, Assistant-Surgeon Radzin awaiting transportation. During the 28th Captain Pope's companies were transferred to the steamers Landing, the fourth transport to arrive. Captain Pope landed his men on the rude wharf one at a timportant point should be covered, detached Captain Pope with Companies C, D, G, and K to remain theaving that point guarded was demonstrated. Captain Pope's account is,— I immediately threw out ter this repulse and some time had elapsed, Captain Pope was relieved by the Thirty-second United Stn to be strung out. It was about 1.30 P. M. Captain Pope continues, saying,— I saw General Hatch M. Foster of Company C were there killed. Captain Pope joined Colonel Beecher, Thirty-fifth Unitedt is that the four companies were following Captain Pope, when, owing to the blockaded road and the he order came for the Fifty-fourth to move, Captain Pope filed off, meeting Lieutenant-Colonel Hoope
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 13: operations about Pocotaligo. (search)
. During the night of the 21st, the pickets of the Twentysixth United States Colored Troops captured three cavalrymen. In retaliation, the next morning the enemy attacked their line, killing one man and wounding another, forcing them back. Major Pope, with Companies C, E, H, and K, relieved the Twenty-sixth men later that morning, taking up the same badly run and dangerous line, which was given up for a better position the same evening. Our brigade expected an attack the succeeding day, d never returned. Lieutenant Littlefield resigned, and Lieutenant Hallett took charge of the camp. Lieutenant Rogers re-joined the regiment from there. Lieutenant James, recommissioned, reported; but his old wound soon forced him to return to Hilton Head. Captain Pope was made major, Lieutenant Howard captain of Company I, and Second Lieutenants Stevens and Charles Jewett, Jr., were promoted first lieutenants. Lieutenants Charles F. Joy and William L. Whitney, Jr., newly appointed, joined.
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 14: Charleston and Savannah. (search)
sent for our camp effects at Morris Island, and as a portion was brought in small boats, some damage by water resulted to company books and officers' baggage. Major Pope, on March 1, with Companies C, E, H, and I, visited the Benjamin Whaley place thirteen miles distant, moving over the plank road and fording Nine-Mile Run on thok possession of a fine camp of board shelters constructed by Sherman's men, near the One Hundred and Second United States Colored Troops, camped on our right. Major Pope, with the left wing, left Charleston March 13 on the steamer Chas. Houghton, arriving at Hilton Head about midnight. There the men disembarked on the pier, whiinted adjutant. On the 27th Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper embarked with the right wing on the steamer W. W. Coit, accompanied by Colonel Hallowell. The same day Major Pope with the left wing boarded the steamer Canonicus. After getting to sea, both transports touched at Hilton Head and then went on to Charleston, where Colonel Hal
he pilot-boat Patriot, with all on board. Major Pope and the left wing of the Fifty-fourth on thellowing officers: Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper, Major Pope, Surgeon Briggs, Acting Adjutant Whitney, aneventh Ohio embarked on the cars brought in, Major Pope helping Captain Tucker with his engine. Then scouting in the woods to the left, came to Major Pope, saying, Major, there's a lot of Rebs througving on; and deeming quick action essential, Major Pope faced the left company about and led it towaHe therefore sent Acting Adjutant Whitney to Major Pope with instructions to take the left wing and irmish line. While awaiting the result of Major Pope's flanking movement, Lieutenant-Colonel Hoopa crossing there might be facilitated should Major Pope's project not succeed. When word came of Ma a timbered country we completed the march. Major Pope and Acting Quartermaster Bridgham preceded t the same steamer, May 6th; and the next day Major Pope, with Companies B, C, and I, followed on the[5 more...]
k in an open field to the right of the plank road, and nearer the city than Magnolia Cemetery. Major Pope, with the left wing, relieved the Fifty-fifth Massachusetts at St. Andrew's Parish, across theand until the 29th, when, having received leave of absence, he departed for the North, leaving Major Pope in charge of the regiment. In accordance with Department orders issued May 29, Colonel Hall reported for duty as assistant-surgeon. Colonel Hallowell was brevetted brigadier-general. Major Pope was promoted lieutenant-colonel and Captain Walton, major. Lieutenant Emerson became captain o Field and Staff,—Colonel and Brevet Brigadier-General, E. N. Hallowell; Lieutenant-Colonel, George Pope; Major, James M. Walton; Surgeon, Charles E. Briggs; Assistant Surgeon, Joshua B. Treadwell. e 22d, and reached Boston at noon of the 26th, where it disembarked at Gallop's Island. Lieutenant-Colonel Pope, with the left wing, left Charleston on the 23d upon the steamer Ashland, completing th
on, D. C., May 29, 1887. Pope, Albert Augustus. Second Lieutenant, 35th Mass. Infantry, Aug. 27, 1862. First Lieutenant, Mar. 23, 1863. Captain, Apr. 1, 1864. Brevet Major, Lieut. Colonel and Colonel, U. S. Volunteers, Mar. 13, 1865. Mustered out, June 9, 1865. Pope, Frederick G. Captain, 41st Mass. Infantry, afterward 3d Mass. Cavalry, Sept. 2, 1862. Major, Dec. 12, 1864. Lieut. Colonel, Aug. 15, 1865. Mustered out, Sept. 28, 1865. Colonel, Oct. 5, 1865; not mustered. Pope, George. Private and Corporal, 44th Infantry, M. V. M., in service of the U. S., Sept. 12, 1862. Discharged to accept promotion, Apr. 16, 1863. Captain, 54th Mass. Infantry, May 11, 1863; mustered, May 13, 1863. Promoted Major, Dec. 3, 1864; mustered, Dec. 14, 1864. Lieut. Colonel, July 11, 1865; mustered, July 27, 1865. Mustered out, Aug. 20, 1865. Porter, Burr. Major, Additional Aide-de-Camp, U. S. Volunteers, June 2, 1862. Colonel, 40th Mass. Infantry, Sept. 7, 1862. Discharged
1 2