hide Matching Documents

Your search returned 879 results in 118 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
ly 6th, 260 miles southeast of Sandy Hook, by the privateer Jeff. Davis, and on attempting to take her into the port of Charleston, S. C., on the 22d of July, was re-captured with five men of the privateer's crew on board, west of Cape Hatteras. The Enchantress cleared from Boston on the 29th of June, for ports in Cuba. All the crew except Garrick (negro cook) were removed to the Jeff. Davis, and a crew from the privateer, consisting of W. W. Smith, of Savannah, Ga.; Ebin Lane, of West Cambridge, Mass.; Thomas Quigley, of New York; Daniel Mullings, of Charleston, S. C.; and E. Rochford, of Liverpool — put on board to take her to Charleston, the negro Garrick being retained as cook. After the schooner had left the Jeff. Davis, Garrick meditated getting possession of the Enchantress, but delayed the execution of his plan, so as to sound the views of a portion of the crew. Before coming to any definite conclusion the steamer Albatross hove in sight, and as soon as the crew on board
volley was exchanged. The two Federal companies retired, in presence of the superior force, in excellent order. About thirty rounds were exchanged, and----Carrol, of Elmira, was killed by a shot from the rebels. He was a young man, and was very popular with his regiment. Another of the national troops was wounded in the neck, and had a finger shot off. Whether the Confederates suffered any loss is not known. The nationals and the pickets fell back to the camp, about half a mile beyond Arlington.--National Intelligencer, August 29. An important arrest was made in New York at the instance of Superintendent Kennedy--the person arrested being Samuel J. Anderson. He has carried on a very extensive correspondence with Vice-President Stephens of the Southern Confederacy, and has been in constant communication with the secession sympathizers in New York. For the last six weeks, according to his own confession, he has been contributing editorial articles for The Daily News, Day Boo
een a small body of Union troops, under the command of Colonel Johnson, and a force of rebel cavalry under John Morgan, resulting in the defeat of the Unionists and the capture of the town by the rebels.--(Doc. 87.) Large and enthusiastic meetings, for the purpose of promoting enlistments into the army under the call of President Lincoln for three hundred thousand additional troops, were this day held at Boston, Cambridge, Roxbury, Brookline, Somerville, Malden, Springfield, and West-Cambridge, Mass., and at Portland, Maine. Speeches by distinguished and prominent citizens were made in each place. In several of the towns large sums of money were collected for the purpose of paying extra bounties to the volunteers. President Lincoln received the Senators and Representatives of the slaveholding Border States at the Presidential mansion, and addressed them on the subject of emancipation. General Smith, of the rebel army, issued an address to the forces under his command
ston; and about four miles N. W. by N. from Bunker-Hill Monument. It borders on Somerville, West Cambridge, Winchester, Stoneham, Melrose, and Malden. It received the name of Meadford from the advstown, which embraced Malden, Stoneham, Woburn, Burlington, Somerville, a part of Cambridge, West Cambridge, and Medford. At a Court holden at Boston, April 1, 1634: There is two hundred acres of lanubtless be filled with country seats. A brook, originating in Lexington and flowing through West Cambridge, enters the south pond at the western edge; and another, flowing through Baconville, enters n Harbor on the east; Boston, Roxbury, and Cambridge, on the south; Brighton, Watertown, and West Cambridge track of woodland on the north — has on its summit a flat rock, called Lover's Rock; on of thigh as to overlook the houses situated at the east, and to afford a most delightful view of West Cambridge. Walnut tree Hill, on the south side of the river, was once covered with walnut-trees. T
eading from the Ford to Boston; the second was Salem Street, leading to Malden; the third was High Street, leading to West Cambridge; the fourth was the road leading to Stoneham. These sufficed for all necessary uses during half a century. The roadg to this suggestion. Sept. 13, 1802: The Court of Sessions direct, that the road from Jonathan Brooks's Corner to West Cambridge shall be widened, Medford and Charlestown paying for the lands taken. Labor of a man on the highways, one dollar for in good repair; and, recently, it has been rebuilt, and is now wide and strong. Its support devolves on Medford and West Cambridge. Gravelly Bridge, so called, was first built by Mr. Cradock's men probably, and was the usual route for all the trago. Sulk and Lucy were the last couple in West Medford of the liberated slaves. They lived near the road leading to West Cambridge, in a small building, whose roof was turf, and which obtained the title of Salt box. We know that all these persons
to meet all the reasonable demands of the inhabitants for spirituous liquors. March 13, 1848: Voted to give the Selectmen one hundred dollars per annum for their services. The petition of certain inhabitants of Medford, Woburn, and West Cambridge, to be set off from their several towns, and to be united in a new town, named Winchester, called forth the following vote of the town of Medford:-- March 4, 1850: Voted that the Selectmen be instructed to oppose the petition of E. S. Parkect for the illustrious stranger, and love for their patriotic townsman, induced the inhabitants to make ample preparations for receiving the guest. On Saturday, Aug. 28, 1824, the General entered Medford, at half-past 2 o'clock, P. M., from West Cambridge, attended by a few select friends. The notice of his coming was short; nevertheless, the ladies, with their characteristic enchantment, made flowers from the gardens, and evergreens from the fields, fly at their bidding, and arrange themselv
ow faintly, at this day, can we conceive of the electric enthusiasm of the 19th of April! It seemed As if the very earth again Grew quick with God's creating breath; And, from the sods of grove and glen, Rose ranks of lion-hearted men To battle to the death. The number belonging to Medford who were killed on that day is not known. A worthy old man told us that lie knew of four who fell: William Polly and Henry Putnam, at Concord; and a man named Smith, and another named Francis, in West Cambridge. The two last mentioned were killed by the flank guard of the British, on the retreat to Boston. William Polly was brought to Medford alive, but died of his wounds April 25. The Medford men followed the retreating British from Lexington woods to Charlestown ferry, and shot their last ball during the embarkation. Medford men were with Washington at Monmouth, at Brandywine, at the crossing of the Delaware, and in other places, and fought bravely for the liberties and independence
ch respect for their venerable pastor could suggest was made by the town; and their Committee for the occasion were Messrs. Abner Bartlett, Jonathan Brooks, Thatcher Magoun, Turell Tufts, and Dudley Hall. The funeral services were on Saturday, Dec. 14. The prayer was offered by President Kirkland ; and the sermon preached by Dr. Abiel Holmes, from 2 Tim. IV. 6, 7. The pall-bearers were the Rev. Drs. Kirkland and Holmes, of Cambridge; Ripley, of Concord; Foster, of Brighton; Fiske, of West Cambridge ; and Homer, of Newton. The wife of Dr. Osgood died Jan. 7, 1818, aged seventy, and left behind the memorial of an amiable, intelligent, and pious woman. The memory of the just is blessed. The incidents in the history of Dr. Osgood, not mentioned in the memoir, are few and unimportant. Among those of historic interest are the following:-- March 15, 1782: At a meeting of the brethren of the church this day, the pastor proposed an alteration in the form of the covenant used at t
all the pastor elect, was composed of the following clergymen, with delegates: President Kirkland, Cambridge; Dr. Abiel Holmes, Cambridge; Dr. Thaddeus Fiske, West Cambridge; Dr. John Foster, Brighton; Dr. Charles Lowell, Boston; Rev. Francis Parkman, Boston; Rev. James Walker, Charlestown; Rev. Aaron Greene, Malden; Dr. Aaron Banev. James Walker, Charlestown; Rev. Convers Francis, Watertown; Rev. Joseph Field, Weston; Rev. George Ripley, Boston; Rev. Samuel Ripley, Waltham; Dr. Fiske, West Cambridge; Rev. Charles Brooks, Hingham; Rev. Francis Parkman, Boston; Dr. Foster, Brighton; Rev. Thomas B. Gannett, Cambridgeport; Rev. Bernard Whitman, Waltham; Rev. emoval of Mr. Bosworth, the church and society were for some months destitute of a pastor; when they united in the election of Rev. B. C. Grafton, formerly of West Cambridge, as their pastor. Rev. Mr. Grafton continued but a few months in this relation, leaving the people again destitute of an under-shepherd. Some months now ela
, D. D.1842 A Sermon at the Ordination of Rev. Hiram Withington, Leominster, Mass.1844 A Sermon occasioned by the Death of Mrs. John Howe, and others1844 A Sermon on doing justly1845 A Sermon on the Death of Children1845 A Sermon at the Ordination of Rev. Frank P. Appleton, Danvers, Mass.1846 A Sermon on the Limits of Civil Obedience1851 A Sermon commemorative of the Life and Services of Robert Thaxter, M. D.1852 A Sermon on the Death of Mr. James Pierce1853 A Sermon preached at West Cambridge after the Death of Rev. James F. Brown1853 Mrs. Jane Turell. This lady, daughter of Rev. Benjamin Colman, D. D., was born in Boston, Feb. 25, 1708; was married to Rev. Ebenezer Turell, of Medford, Aug. 11, 1726; joined the church, Oct. 29, 1727; and died March 26, 1735. She had three children, all of whom died early. Some further notice of this talented, accomplished, and Christian lady is required at our hands; and we gladly rely on the statements contained in Two sermons, p
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...