Your search returned 96 results in 27 document sections:

1 2 3
470.  Luther V. Bell136. Councillors and Senators. John Brooks, Councillor1812. P. C. Brooks, Councillor1818. Timothy Bigelow, Councillor1820. James M. Usher, Senator,1851. Sanford B. Perry, Senator,1852. E. C. Baker, Senator,1855. Representatives of Medford in the General Court. Peter Tuftschosen1689 Leonard Bucknam1838. Alexander Gregg1840. Thatcher R. Raymond1843. Gorham Brooks1846. Joseph P. Hall1847. Thatcher R. Raymond1850. Joseph P. Hall1851. James M. Usher1852. Joseph P. Hall1853. Jonathan Oldham1854. Justices of the Peace in Medford. (from Massachusetts Records.) Thomas BrooksMar. 27, 1781. Benj843. John SparrellAug. 20, 1843. Thatcher MagounAug. 29, 1843. Jonathan BrooksJan. 1, 1844. Sanford B. PerryApril 24, 1847. Abner BartlettOct. 12, 1847. James M. UsherJan. 1, 1850. Judah LoringFeb. 12, 1850. Aaron K. HathawayFeb. 12, 1850. Edmund T. HastingsFeb. 12, 1850. Alexander GreggFeb. 12, 1850. John SparrellJuly
2,000 be appropriated for said purpose. The inhabitants of West Medford, desirous of having a schoolhouse more ample in its dimensions and more classic in its appearance than the town's appropriation would procure, cheerfully united in adding to it, by subscription, the sum of nine hundred dollars. This sum was raised by residents of the West End; and they who were most able to give, gave with abounding liberality. The building committee were Messrs. Charles Caldwell, J. B. Hatch, and J. M. Usher; and they spared no pains in procuring a skilful draughtsman. Mr. George A. Caldwell was the master-builder. On the 6th of August, 1851, the corner-stone was laid with appropriate religious and literary exercises. Edward Brooks, Esq., presided, and made the opening remarks. Prayer was offered by Rev. E. K. Fuller; and then an original poem was spoken by a pupil, followed with short speeches by neighbors and friends. The house is placed between Irving and Brooks Streets, on the hill
wing table records the facts:-- When Built.location.building-Committee.master-workmen.cost. 1835.Primary, Union Street.Horatio A. Smith, Galen James, and Milton James.Caldwell & Wyatt.$1040.00. 1837.Primary, Park Street.Galen James, James W. Brooks, James O. Curtis, & Saml. Joyce.Oakman Joyce and John Sables.3454.64. 1840.High & Grammar, High Street.Oakman Joyce, D. Lawrence, and James O. Curtis.Charles Caldwell & Wm. B. Thomas.7568.77. 1851.Brooks, Brooks Street.John B. Hatch and James M. Usher.George A. Caldwell.2542.98. 1851.Primary, Salem Street.Geo. T. Goodwin, Henry Taylor, and M. E. Knox.J. J. Beaty and I. H. Bradlee.3375.41. 1852.Everett, Salem Street.Robert L. Ells, Samuel Joyce, and Henry Taylor.James Pierce.7166.57. The town proceeded immediately to the building of a new schoolhouse, on the spot where the Park-street house was burned. April 2, 1855, Messrs. Franklin Patch, Judah Loring, and Charles S. Jacobs were chosen a committee to produce a plan, publish p
tables, $10985 Charles Rollins--Two dwelling-houses, unfinished, which Mr. Rollins was building by contract, both entirely demolished, including, in one case, the cellar wall. One of these buildings was on the property belonging to T. P. Smith and others, $4,320; the other was for the Rev. Mr. Haskins, $1,4505,770 House building by J. F. Edward, on property belonging to T. P. Smith and others12 Boston and Lowell Railroad Company — Freight car blown from track, and buildings injured40 J. M. Usher — Buildings, $442; fruit-trees, $30; fruit; ornamental tree (horse-chestnut), $50522 L. B. Usher — Buildings, $50; fruit-trees and fruit, $58; ornamental trees (elm in road, and horse-chestnut), $100208 Heirs of Leonard Bucknam — Buildings and fences, $450; fruit-trees, $25475 J. M. Sanford — Fence, $10; vegetables, $5; furniture and clothing, $150 ;. carriages, $75$240 H. T. Nutter — Vegetables, $5; furniture and clothing, $400405 Joseph Wyatt — Buildings, $250; fruit-trees,
f taste, the improvement of manners, and the progress of religion; but especially for relieving the necessitous, comforting the sick, and providing for the young. The order of the sons of Temperance. Mystic Division, No. 20, of Massachusetts. This branch of a widely extended and benevolent fraternity was organized Oct. 5, 1853, and already numbers over thirty members. The first office, of W. P., has a new occupant every three months. The gentlemen who have held it are S. D. Poole, J. M. Usher, Benjamin H. Samson, William A. Sanborn, John Brown, and Richard G. Pinkham. A public installation of officers was had in the Town Hall, April 11, 1854, when delegations from other branches were present; and a supper afterwards made members and friends of both sexes happy. Fidelis ad urnam. Mount Hermon Lodge of free and accepted Masons. Last year, a few Freemasons, who were wont to attend the meetings of Hiram Lodge, West Cambridge, determined to establish a lodge in Medford, so
Leonard B. b. Mar. 3, 1817.  41Henry W., b. Nov., 1819.  42Roland G., b. Jan. 6, 1823. 31-32John G. Usher m. Mary C. George, of Haverhill, who was b. Mar. 21, 1803; and has--  32-43Helen M., b. Mar. 17, 1828. 31-38Eleazer Usher m. Jane K. Hartwell, Apr. 6, 1840, b. Sept. 10, 1820. Children:--  38-44Charles N., b. Sept. 20, 1841.  45George H., b. Jan. 25, 1844.  46Pamelia A., b. Sept. 17, 1846; d. Nov. 9, 1848.  47Warren H., b. Aug. 18, 1848.  48John G., b. Aug. 27, 1853. 31-39James M. Usher m. Pamelia Pray, June 11, 1838, and has--  39-49James F., b. Oct. 1, 1839.  50Roland G., b. Sept. 11, 1843.  51Mary F., b. July 12, 1850. 31-40LEONARD B. Usher, b. Mar. 3, 1817; m., May 11, 1843, Lydia M. Jacobs, who was b. July 24, 1819; and had--  40-52George L., b. May 15, 1844; d. Aug. 26, 1844.  53Frederic W., b. Oct. 5, 1847.  54Fannie E., b. Nov. 22, 1850.  55Leonard B., b. Jan. 21, 1852; d. Aug. 23, 1852. 31-41Henry W. Usher m. Deborah Cook, and has--  41-56Ell
brick engine house of the Fire Department. The highway to the river was laid out two rods in width, and was used by the town of Charlestown as a landing place for materials used in the construction and repairs of the southerly half of Mistick bridge. This way was five rods in length and connected with the half-acre lot on the corner of Main and South streets, which lot was known by the name of The Gravel Pit. The farm referred to was that of Governor Winthrop, afterwards that of Lieutenant-Governor Usher, and still later that of Col. Isaac Royall, portions of the westerly bounds of which are still in existence. To Christopher Goodwin. Seven Acres. bounded westnortherly by Mrs. Anna Shepherd: north by Mistick River and a Highway to the Ford front the Country Road; eastsoutherly by the Rangeway: southwesterly by Peter Frothingham. This parcel of land was located west of the land set off to John Foule, on both sides of South street. Its northwesterly boundary was substantially
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 4., First Universalist Society in Medford. (search)
reading of the Scripture, prayer, and music, with an original hymn by Mrs. Libby, made the service very interesting. At the close of the afternoon meeting supper was served in the vestry. Toasts were responded to by the Rev. W. A. Start, Rev. J. M. Usher, Rev. Mr. Potter, Rev. R. Perry Bush, Rev. William H. Rider, Rev. Dr. Emerson, Rev. C. W. Biddle, Rev. Charles Skinner, and Rev. Henry C. De Long, of the Unitarian Church, Rev. G. C. Osgood, of the Methodist Church, and Rev. J. P. Abbott, of 1857, thus serving eighteen consecutive years. Mrs. Cotting was elected for three consecutive years. Mrs. Lusanna Wellington was elected assistant superintendent in March, 1842, and annually elected to that position for nineteen years. Rev. James M. Usher was elected superintendent, April, 1857, and served until August, 1859, when Elisha Stetson was chosen for the remaining part of the year. In April, 1860, Mr. Parker R. Litchfield was elected superintendent, and served in that office for
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 4., Reminiscences of an earlier Medford. (search)
can remember that a small bookstore was kept by a Mr. Randall, who had also the charge of the social library which found a place in the room. The same room was afterwards occupied as a barber's shop, and in a room behind it Mr. Gillard kept his fish market. The front room on the western corner was for many years used for the reading-room to which I have already referred, and concerning which I shall have something more to say. A very faithful likeness of the Tufts building will be found in Usher's edition of Brooks' History. And the Tufts family played an important part in the earlier and later history of the town. The founder of the family, Mr. Peter Tufts, was born in England in 1617, and came to New England somewhere about 1638 and was one of the earliest settlers of Malden, where he was a large land-owner. He also bought of Cradock's heirs 350 acres of land in what is now one of the most thickly settled parts of Medford. His son, Capt. Peter Tufts, resided in Medford and w
all persons who feel desirous of having an Episcopal Church established in Medford, are earnestly requested to meet on Tuesday evening next, at 7 o'clock, at the house of Mrs. Barr. Wm. Bailey Lang. Grace Medford, Dec. 11, 1847. THE Hon. James M. Usher, editor of the History of Medford, in his opening paragraph on Grace Church says:– From the original settlement of Medford until nearly the middle of the present century Churchmen who lived within its borders were compelled, by the n a commodious rectory, situated on the northerly side of High Street, a short distance from the church, was built by Dudley C. Hall, Esq., and by him presented to the parish for the use of the rector. The church building (to quote again from Mr. Usher), which since its completion had remained in the ownership of the family who had generously erected it, and consequently, in accordance with the canonical law of the church, could not be consecrated, was given to the parish by Mr. Peter C. Broo
1 2 3