, a little girl about fifteen years of age daughter of Martin Spicer
, living near the Second Market
, was burnt in a severe manner on Thursday night. She was sitting by the bed sewing, when the candle tilted over, and before she could prevent it set fire to her own clothes and the bed on which the candle had been placed.
Her father and mother, who were in the next room, hearing her screams, ran in to her assistance and by throwing around her a blanket succeeded in extinguishing the flames before her clothes were entirely burnt off. --They were also very badly burnt about the hands.
The little girl was severely burnt about her body and hands, but her injuries it is not believed will prove fatal.
By the timely assistance of some of the neighbors, the dead was thrown from the window into the street before the flames from it set fire to anything else in the room.