Browsing named entities in The Daily Dispatch: October 7, 1861., [Electronic resource]. You can also browse the collection for William H. Davis or search for William H. Davis in all documents.

Your search returned 6 results in 5 document sections:

irer than usually at this season. The town is improving rapidly, many new houses are going up in Main street; handsome cottages rise on the outskirts, and the whole bears a well-to-do progressing air, as if the war had as yet done this great harm here. Two excellent hotels are filled to overflowing mainly with refugees from the threatened portions of the State, and some of the larger houses have been taken for hospitals. One of them is a fever hospital, under the excellent management of Dr. Davis. A little way out of town lies a torture-looking building, called the Delavan House, filled with sick soldiers, under charge of Dr. Allen, another Professor of the University. Around it men are busy erecting large hospital-houses. They look nice enough, airy, and scrupulously clean; but they are so crowded together, that the emanations must soon become injurious to the patients. They are built of the very slightest material, simple uprights, without any braces whatsoever, and covered w
om his master, was sent down under sentence of 39 lashes. Archer, slave of Turpin & Yarborough, arrested for going out at night without a pass, was discharged from custody. Margaret Nicholas, a free woman of color, charged with living in Richmond with no other register of her freedom than that furnished her by the county court of Fluvanna, was dismissed, with an order to leave the city by Tuesday next. Wm. Ruffin, a barber's boy, and Charles, employed by Dr. Cabell, charged with fighting near Lomax Smith's tonsorial establishment, were punished with 25 lashes each. It appeared that during the melee, William drew a razor and gave his antagonist a pretty severe cut on the sin. Albert Rish, slave of Stephen Mason, was ordered 20 lashes for stealing coal from Wm. H. Davis. The prisoner's counsel took an appeal to the Hustings court. Mrs. Yarrington was fined $2 for permitting a nuisance in the shape of a heap of rubbish to accumulate and remain on her premises.
Careless driving. --A little child of Mr. Lorge, on 17th street, was run over by a cart on Saturday and badly injured. The negro surviver, named Burrill, slave of Mr. McGee, was arrested by officer Davis, and will be tried for the offence at the Mayor's court this morning.
The Daily Dispatch: October 7, 1861., [Electronic resource], [correspondence of the Richmond Dispatch.] (search)
hrough Fayetteville were joined by Caskie's Rangers, all as Invincible, as Gen, Cox expressed himself about this company. In the morning they could be seen on the summits of Cotton hill, fighting like devils, and, in twenty-four hours after, attacking his commissariat wagons some where in the neighborhood of Peytona; the companies that left for this expedition performed the journey in less than twenty-four hours, fording the forks of Cole ninety-two times, the distance being ninety miles. Col. Davis being in command, upon learning that about two or three hundred of old Abe's hen-roost robbers had made a foray into that peaceful county, robbing the citizens of all their property and taking several Secessionists as prisoners — among whom was one by the name of Mr. G. Pack, driving off sixty head of his cattle, all of his goods, himself and family as prisoners — immediately ordered his command in pursuit of them.--After a chase of 15 miles at a full gallop, our boys came in sight of them
mile in length, commencing a short distance beyond the village, and extending to the forks of the road, near Germantown.--Meanwhile, Gen. Wm. Henry Walker's brigade at Germantown had been drawn up, and all awaited the arrival of the President. Gen. Davis, accompanied by the other Generals, and their staffs, and escorted by the Adams troop, rode first to General Walker's camp, and after having the brigade pass in review, went on to where the others had been stationed. After passing along the line, saluting the colors of each regiment, President Davis took a position by the roadside, and remained until the three brigades had passed him. He then returned to Gen. Beauregard's headquarters, and at five this evening was escorted to Fairfax station, en route to Richmond. The review was a grand sight, and was, on the whole, very satisfactory. The men were dressed neatly, and looked much more cleanly than one would imagine after having been so long in the field. The 1st Virginia l