hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 62 results in 27 document sections:

1 2 3
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 1., The Medford blacksmith of 1775. (search)
ursued his calling at the forge. The old shop, like the village tavern, had long been the rendezvous of the loungers of the neighborhood, and here many of the patriots gathered to discuss the troubled affairs of the country. But a little farther up the street stood the Royall House, where were wont to gather the Tories and adherents of the King. It was a time when neighbor was to be arrayed against neighbor. For several days prior to June 16, 1775, farmers from Woburn, Billerica, Burlington, and Bedford had passed through Medford over the turnpike on their way to Charlestown neck, where they congregated at the old tavern located where Sullivan's Square Park now stands. As they passed the smithy many stopped to replace a shoe lost by their horse on the way thither. This increased patronage obliged Harry Bond to continue his work late into the night, so that it afforded a good excuse for the gathering of so many citizens at the shop where was being discussed in secret the p
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 6., Strangers in Medford, (continued from vol. 4, no. 2). (search)
1751 Crowell, Robert  wife and familyJuly 10, 1751 Cutter, DavidWoburn abt. May 18, 1757Feb. 8, 1758Taken in by Wm. Faulkner   Mary (wife)  one childTo James Long's farm of Medford. Cutter, ElizabethWoburn, on or before Dec.Widow ; in family of Sarah Cutter. Cutter, PollyJan. 30, 1791   RebeccaJan. 30, 1791Widow. Darby, JamesJan. 30, 1791 Darling, John  Mary (wife)  John, Jr.  Mary  Thankful  Lydia  EuniceAug. 10, 1777 Davis, AbelJan. 30, 1791 Davis, ElizabethWoburn Precinct, Burlington. Nov. 15, 1755In service to Timothy Hall. Davis, ElizabethJan. 30, 1791 Davis LucyCharlestown, May 21, 1759Sept. 5, 1759In service to Zebulon May. In service to Benj. Pierce. Delahunt, ElizabethBoston,Oct. 12, 1770Housekeeper for Col. Royal Dexter, TimothyJan. 30, 1791 Dickson, Jonathan  Martha (wife)  Benjamin Surname not given. (nurse child)Cambridge,May 26, 1772In house of Richard Crease. Dike, Jonathan(See John Adams) Dixon, Josiah  Hannah (wife)Charl
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 9., Strangers in Medford, (continued from Vol. 8, no. 4). (search)
. 20, 1773Tenant of Samuel Brooks.        Mary (wife) Names.From. Date.Warned out.Remarks. Smith, John        Luther (children of John and Mary)        Abel (children of John and Mary)        Susanna (children of John and Mary)        Mary (children of John and Mary) Smith, SamuelCambridge, Apr. 30, 1751July 10, 1751Tenants of Samuel Brooks.        wife        Thomas (sons)        Robert (sons) Smith. SarahBoston, Feb. or Mar., 1767May Ct., 1767 Snow, UriahWoburn Prec. Burlington. Apr. 15, 1769Nov. Ct., 1769Tenant at spot Pond or Jacob Hall.        Lucy (wife)        Uriah (children)        Sarah (children)        Lucy (children)        Barnabas (children) Stanley, AbigailCharlestown, Nov. 14, 1766May 16, 1767In family of Benj. Teel. Standly, DavidCambridge, Mar. 23, 1759Nov. 21, 1759Taken in by Abner Lealand. Stanyan, HannahStoneham, May, 1764Mar. 1, 1765Wife of Jos
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 11., The Second Battle of Bunker's Hill. (search)
w stands, and Charles River, with a comparatively small number of houses northward along the road now called Main street. The buildings destroyed at this time were probably near the site of the Edes' mansion, now noted as the birthplace of Prof. Morse of telegraph fame. Between foes and friends, the old town named for King Charles who granted the charter to Matthew Cradock's Company, was well nigh obliterated. Its territory once entirely surrounded that of Medford, and embraced that of Burlington, Wilmington, Woburn, Winchester, Somerville and parts of Arlington, Medford, and Malden. Its corporate existence became finally absorbed in that of Boston in 1874. The three or four houses that Major Knowlton left could have afforded but little shelter to the British troops whom editor or printer Hall styled ministerial butchers. The result of the action was that the lines were closer drawn against the enemy in Charlestown. We will refer again to Mr. Hall's paper:— We hear tha
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 12., A pioneer railroad and how it was built. (search)
was done a few years later when the branch to Woburn was built. By reference to the county map, this peculiarity will be observed. The new line was true to its name, boston & Lowell. The Middlesex Canal nearly traversed and was entirely within the county, hence its name. The railroad passed through the central village of no town in its entire length of twenty-five miles. Its course lay between Charlestown and Cambridge, Medford and West Cambridge, Stoneham and Woburn, Wilmington and Burlington, Tewksbury and Billerica. The traveller that journeys over it today will find the compact city of Somerville, the residential western section of Medford (that once was almost a town itself), and the beautiful suburban town of Winchester grown up on both sides of its course. Possibly his train may take him two miles over the steep grade of the Woburn branch, now extended as the Woburn loop through that city. At intervals the loop follows closely beside the still water-filled channel over
experience with a heavy engine from Philadelphia and had acquired the patent of Samuel Morey's revolving engine. It was one of this type that propelled this third Massachusetts steamboat through Medford at a time before steam service was established in Boston harbor or but one steamboat had ever been seen there. It is also interesting to note that Morey's patent was signed by the first president, George Washington. A model of Morey's first engine is now at the University of Vermont at Burlington. In the absence of drawings or illustrations it is difficult to explain its operation, but Morey's engine successfully propelled a boat against the current of the Connecticut near his home, fourteen years before Fulton (who had invented no engine) made continuously successful use of steam as motive power on the Hudson. There is a certain fascination in the gleaming steel and rhythmic stroke of a modern steamboat engine; but here was one of a century long gone, when the age of steam was
any scenes that transpired during our youthful days. A striking figure on the stage of recollection is Nathan Childs, the village baker, who had his shop in the good old town of Medford. He drove his cart through the streets from door to door, and continued on through the neighboring towns. In Woburn town, on Pleasant street, there stood a cluster of houses, at the junction of two streets, one of which led directly to Lexington—that town of historic fame—while the other wound its way to Burlington, the town that protected Hancock and Adams, while the British soldiers marched to Concord. The coming and going of Nathan Childs to and from this little group of neighbors, was like the old clock that stood in the corner of the family room—tick, tick, strike, all the day long, always on time. Nathan Childs had an eye to business—he was a friend to the old and the young. His cart was not unlike other bakers' carts, while the jingle of the old sleigh bells was heard from afar. He was
1 2 3