Your search returned 452 results in 66 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ation of service. Finnegan, Bernard,28Boston, Ma. Mar. 14, 1864Aug. 11, 1865, expiration of service. Second Battery Light Artillery, Massachusetts Volunteers—(three years.)—Continued. Name and Rank.Age.Residence orDate of Muster.Termination of Service and Cause Thereof. Place Credited to. Fisk, John D.,26Southbridge, Ma. July 31, 1861 Feb. 15, 1864, re-enlistment. Flemming, Nathaniel,28Charlestown, Ma. Dec. 7, 1863 Deserted Oct. 18, 1864, New Orleans, La. Fletcher, John W.,23Billerica, Ma. July 31, 1861 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Flynn, Thomas,45Charlestown, Ma. Dec. 12, 1863 Aug. 11, 1865, expiration of service. Folsom, Ezra F.,26Truro, Ma. Jan. 11, 1864 Died May 24, 1864, Baton Rouge, La. Forbes, John A.,34Boston, Ma. July 31, 1861 Aug. 16, 1864, expiration of service. Foster, Edward,32Boston, Ma. Dec. 5, 1863 Deserted, never joined Battery. Foster, Thomas B.,20Stoughton, Ma. July 31, 1861 Feb. 15, 1864, re-enlistment. Foulds, John,19Taunton, Ma. Sept. 2, 18<
Edward L. Pierce, Memoir and letters of Charles Sumner: volume 1, Chapter 2: Parentage and Family.—the father. (search)
ccepted the place of an assistant in the Billerica Academy, of which his former teacher, Mr. Pemberton, had become the principal. While here he received a playful letter from his classmate, Leonard Woods, then at Cambridge, who had been enlivening his theological studies, which he had pursued at Princeton, with the reading of Don Quixote, Cecilia, and other novels; Shakspeare, Ossian, Pope, and the Spectator; and admiring Belfield in Cecilia, and the character of Sancho, Esq. Remaining at Billerica but a short time, he obtained, through the influence of Rev. Dr. Freeman and Colonel Samuel Swan, of Dorchester, a place as assistant in the private school of Rev. Henry Ware at Hingham, on a salary of £ 150, with special reference to the instruction of two lads, one of whom was John Codman, afterwards the pastor of the second church in Dorchester. An intimate friendship had grown up in college between Sumner and Joseph Story, of Marblehead, who was two years his junior in the course.
Cambridge sketches (ed. Estelle M. H. Merrill), Historic churches and homes of Cambridge. (search)
ld have no true consecration. At this service, a prayer for George III. was, of course, said. All but one or two of these first members were Tories later, and their houses, on Brattle street, were known as Tory Row or Church Row. Besides these Tory Row people, Richard Lechmere, Benjamin Faneuil (brother of Peter), James and Thomas Apthorp (brothers of East), Madame Temple and her son Robert, Brig- adier-General Isaac Royal, the Skiltons and Sweethens of Woburn, and Robert Nichells of Billerica, all went to Christ Church. At 10 Linden street was the old rectory. It had hand-painted wall paper and Delft tiles, and was so grand it was called the Bishop's palace. Indeed, so did the Puritan people in the town dread lest Dr. Apthorp aspire to be bishop that they fairly drove him, by opposition, back to England in 1764. The next important period of the church's history was the Revolution time during which Christ Church was beaten upon by the waves of a wild tide of patriotism.
akeing a village there; and the land between them and Concord is granted them, all save what is formerly granted to the military company or others, provided the church and present elders continue at Cambridge. and included the present town of Billerica, parts of Bedford and Carlisle, and a part of Tewksbury, or of Chelmsford, or of both. The terms of the grant—all the land lying between Concord and Merrimac rivers—would seem to include Lowell; yet an Indian village then occupied that territo amicable arrangement was made between the town and those of its inhabitants who had erected houses at Shawshine, for a separation; this arrangement was confirmed by the General Court, and Shawshine was incorporated as a town, under the name of Billerica. Mass. Col. Rec., III. 387. Soon afterwards the inhabitants on the south side of the river, in what is now Newton, where a church was organized July 20, 1664, petitioned for incorporation as a separate town. Cambridge objected; and a long and
chimneys to be swept every month and ladders to be kept ready for reaching the roofs of houses. Orchard. Wharf. division of Shawshine lands. incorporation of Billerica Notwithstanding Mr. Shepard and his associates here found sufficient for themselves and their company, and appear by the Records to have enjoyed temporal pros deficiency of accommodations; a competent number became resident proprietors and cultivators; and in 1655, Shawshine was incorporated as a separate town, called Billerica, which has since been shorn of its original dimensions by the incorporation of other towns. The grant of the Shawshine lands removed all reasonable doubt of srly, however, as 1655, there were so many householders in Shawshine, gathered from Cambridge and elsewhere, that they were incorporated as a distinct town, named Billerica, and an amicable arrangement was made by them with the inhabitants of Cambridge, in regard to their respective territorial rights and liabilities. The Town Re
cholars to escape danger; but now, through the Divine goodness, that distemper having utterly ceased here; it is agreed and ordered by the President and Tutors, that the undergraduates forthwith repair to the College, to follow their studies and stated exercises. Benjamin Wadsworth, Pres. The distemper returned again before the end of the year, as appears by a paragraph in the News Letter, dated Oct. 8, 1730: We hear from Cambridge, that Mr. William Patten, Representative for the town of Billerica, being taken sick of the small-pox, while the General Assembly was sitting there, is since dead, and was interred on Monday last, the 5th instant. On Saturday, Oct. 3, the Court was adjourned to meet at Roxbury on the next Wednesday. Again, in 1752, the small-pox caused the cessation of study in College from April 22 until Sept. 2; and the corporation voted, May 4, that there be no public Commencement this year, and in October voted to have no winter vacation. The town appointed a com
803, with authority to make a turnpike-road from the westerly side of Cambridge Common to Concord; The Cambridge portion of this turnpike is now called Concord Avenue. and two years afterwards, March 8, 1805, the corporation was authorized to extend the turnpike to the Causeway near West Boston Bridge. This extension is now known as Broadway. The Middlesex Turnpike Corporation was established June 15, 1805, with authority to make a turnpike-road from Tyngsborough through Chelmsford, Billerica, and Bedford, to Cambridge, uniting with the Cambridge and Concord Turnpike near West Boston Bridge. The Cambridge portion of this turn pike is now called Hampshire Street. Other avenues were subsequently opened, which will receive notice in another place. By an Act of Congress, approved Jan. 11, 1805, it was enacted that the town or landing-place of Cambridge in the State of Massachusetts shall be a port of delivery, to be annexed to the district of Boston and Charlestown, and shall
conflict in which all the young men were actively engaged. But their retreat toward Boston was far different. From the westerly border of Menotomy to their point of departure by Beech Street into the Milk Row Road, their passage was through a flame of fire. The provincials rallied from the towns in the vicinity The list of killed, wounded, and missing, gives the names of twenty-three towns, which, with their respective number of killed are as follows: Acton, 3; Bedford, 1; Beverly, 1; Billerica; Brookline, 1; Cambridge, 6; Charlestown, 2; Chelmsford; Concord; Danvers, 7; Dedham, 1; Framingham; Lexington, 10; Lynn, 4; Medford, 2; Needham, 5; Newton; Roxbury; Salem, 1; Stow; Sudbury, 2; Watertown, 1; Woburn, 2. See Frothingham's Siege of Boston, pp. 80, 81. Certainly some other towns, and probably many, besides these, were represented in this sanguinary conflict. even to as great a distance as Salem, and hung upon their rear and flanks, firing upon them from every advantageous poi
e sold to his nephew, Michael Bacon, Jr., of Billerica. He was one of the jury for laying out high24 Feb. 1786, a. 65. He m. Hannah Crosby of Billerica; she d. and he m. Elizabeth Fiske of Lexingtcholas (1), was one of the first settlers in Billerica, where he spent his long and useful life. H 8. Samuel, S. of Jonathan (4), resided in Billerica and was perhaps the same whose estate was dir Hannah, b. about 1643, m. John Brackett at Billerica, 6 Sept. 1661; Samuel, b. 3 Dec. 1645, d. 15wo are named by Mitchell. Mr. Moore rem. to Billerica, and d. there 3 Sept. 1698, a. about 89; hisl, m. John Marrett 20 June 1654. Thomas (of Billerica 25 Mar. 1695), m. Mary, dau. of Andrew Steve——Levistone; Thomas, b. 20 June 1668; and in Billerica, Sarah, b. 21 June 1671; Hannah, b. 31 Mar. Timothy, s. of John (4), m. Sarah Crosby of Billerica (pub. 24 Sept. 1748); she d. 2 Ap. 1756, a.John (2), m. Mary, dau. of Maj. John Lane of Billerica, (now Bedford), and had Mary, b. 17 July 170[53 more...]<
f his name, in Bedford. 2. Daniel, brother of Michael (2), was early in Bridgewater, and owned land there, which he sold to his nephew, Michael Bacon, Jr., of Billerica. He was one of the jury for laying out highways in 1664, and is mentioned again in 1668, but the family early left the town. Mitchell. In 1668, he purchased asold to John Bridge, and his name disappears from the record. Barrett, William, m. Sarah, prob. dau. of John Poole of Reading, and wid. of Joseph Champney of Billerica, 19 Aug. 1656. She d. 21 Aug. 1661, and he m. Mary Barnard 16 June 1662; she d. 28 Mar. 1673, and he m. Mary, dau. of Nathl. Sparhawk, 8 Oct. 1673; shed. 27 Ohomas, first named; and the remainder, in 1732, by the said Thomas and Ruth. joined by Ruth Hook, perhaps a daughter of Ruth Wales, and by Jonathan Batherick of Billerica. Anna, who m. Richard Robbins 2 Jan. 1700-1, was prob. dau. of Thomas. 2. Thomas, s. of Thomas (1), m. Elizabeth Beeger 9 Oct. 1701, and had John, b. 12 May
1 2 3 4 5 6 7