previous next

The great naval expedition — from Fortress Monroe and Hatteras Inlet.

The Northern files contain but little of interest from the naval expedition. The following telegrams are taken from the New York Herald, of the 12th:

News from Hatteras Islet--ten returning Fro Ps.--their Sufferings — particulars of the loss of the French man-of-war Cantalabria, etc.

Baltimore, Nov. 11.
--Captain Dowell, of the Twentieth Indiana Regiment, which returned to Fortress Monroe from Hatteras, says that he found it almost impossible to remain longer in that narrow neck of land, on account of loss of camp equipage and stores. Although the men have suffered severe privations, the number on the sick list is very small. All are now comfortably quartered near Fortress Monroe.

Col. Hawkins's New York regiment will return by the next trip of the steamer. Those men have suffered mere severely in health than the Indiana regiment. Over one hundred are on the sick list.

Capt. Dowell also brings intelligence of the French man-of-war Cantalabria, near Beaufort. She was of about 2,500 tons, and after valuably endeavoring to ride the gale, got aground on a shifting sand bar. Notwithstanding the incessant exertions of her officers and crew she had to be abandoned, and all hands, including officers, soldiers, and seamen, were compelled to find shelter on the shore, as best they could.

The vessel was after wards boarded by a detachment, by order of the commanding officer, and blown up. The reason of this proceeding was not known. It was impossible for the wickers to reach the vessel.

The news by way of Fortress Monroe.

Fortress Monroe, Nov, 10.
--The steamer S. R. p ulding arrived here from Hatteras Inlet this morning, with the Twentieth Indian Regiment.

Information, said to be from a deserter, who reached the Inlet by a small boat, had been received on the main land of the taking of two rebel for's at Port Royal and the landing of a large Union force. Beaufort had also been taken by our troops.

No particulars have arrived, but the main fact corresponds with the news received a few hours since from Norfolk by a flag of truce. Great excitement prevailed on the arrival of the news at Norfolk.

From the same source we have a rumor that the railroad above Beaufort had fallen into the possession of our troops with an immense quantity of stores.

Five deserters, who reached Newport News this morning, state that the rebels up James river are in consternation, and also bring the improbable rumor that our troops had advanced up the railroad as far as Charleston.

There are rumors of three Union vessels having gone ashore.

News by way of Hatteras Inlet.

Baltimore, Nov, 11.
--Captain Dowell, who arrived at Fortress Monroe with the Twentieth Indiana regiment, gives the following statement in reference to the reception of the news from the fleet at Hatteras Inlet:

Captain Dowell states that the day previous to the departure of the steamer S. R. Spaulding, a man was observed paddling across in a small chance from the main land to the Peninsula, and as soon as he reached shore, he proceeded to the quarters of the Twentieth Indiana regiment, and stated that the people of North Carolina had received tidings of the great naval expedition; that it had success in effecting landings at the ports of Port Royal and Beaufort. At the first named place they had experienced no difficulty in landing, as there was but a small settlement on the coast; but at Beaufort a considerable fight took place, which lasted for nearly two days.

The man stated that he was not a deserter from the rebels, for he would not join them, being a Union man in heart and principle. He seemed to be very intelligent, and his only object in making the visit was to communicate with the Union troops in regard to the success of the naval expedition.

He remained in the place until the Spaulding left.

The news by way of Philadelphia.

Philadelphia, November 11, 1861.
--Some what exaggerated, or rather sensational statements have been received therefrom Fortress Monroe, that two fishing smacks took refuge under the guns of the Cumberland. The captains were Baltimorean. They reported that they had been fishing in James river, supplying the rebel troops When they left the report was current that Charleston had been attacked. They state that on Friday last several rebel regiments were sent South from the James and York rivers. The embarkation took place in great haste. The shores of the James river were almost deserted.

The news in Washington.

Washington, November 11, 1861.
--No information from the naval expedition has reached Washington to-day, except what was forwarded from Fortress Monroe, via Baltimore.

The expected dispatch boat that has been hourly looked for at Annapolis has not yet arrived.

As all the news received up to this time comes through rebel sources exclusively, the Government is satisfied that the result is even more favorable to the Union forces than has been represented.

It is supposed that the report of General Sherman is kept back until he shall be able to announce the entire completion of all that the enterprise was intended to accomplish.

From Fortress Monroe--the late sale and the expedition — Talk of another expedition being fitted out.

From the New York Times's Fortress Monroe correspondence, dated November 6, we clip the following extracts:

‘ There are rumors afloat that another expedition will soon congregate in the Roads. It this is the fact, I will venture the hope that, while loading at New York, the ammunition will not be placed in the hold of the deepest vessel, so that it will take four days at the shortest to get at it, while the guns are similarly stored on another vessel; that the medical stores will not be placed along side of the ammunition, and that no delay of ten days here for a resupply of both will take place, thus imposing on Gen. Wool and the heads of different departments of his command, quite as much labor and anxiety as though they were originally entrusted with the fitting out of the expedition; and all this, too, with not so much as a single line of instruction from Washington, or the slightest notification, officially, of even the existence of the expedition. Let us have no more foundlings.

In the space of one week nearly, or quite, one hundred ‘"contrabands"’ have reported themselves to this Department, and received employment on the terms lately promulgated by Gen. Wool. These terms are $10 a month to each laborer; $2 in cash, his rations, his clothes at the lowest rates, the residue to be a fund against which the maintenance of women, children, and those who cannot labor, is to be charged. At the rate the ranks of the ‘"contrabands"’ have increased of late the whole number bids fair to be very large. As yet, however, employment has been found for them all. The latest comers are fine fellows, and with scarcely an exception would command a high price in any slave market. The reason assigned for running away by those who have come in such numbers of late, is that their owners were intending to sell them. They bring information that large numbers will make their escape to the fortress as soon as possible. The last hundred came in three parties, and were from considerable distances, on the Rappahannock and James rivers.

It is understood that the late gale was so destructive at Hatteras that the abandonment of the position, except by a gun-boat or two, is seriously contemplated. The fruits of the fine achievement of taking Hatteras have been worse than squandered. To abandon now the Union men of North Carolina, who, accepting the protection we offered them, joyfully gave in their allegiance to the Union, would be a cruelty and a piece of barbarous injustice. A little vigor would even now rid. Pamlico Sound of the rebel steamers, and then, with gun-boats in the Sound, our camp might be moved from Fort Hatteras to the light-house. It may be a little easier to back out than to go ahead; therefore, since one or the other must be done, back will probably be the policy.

Arrival of Contrabands from Smithfield — death of Col. Elder.

The New York Herald's Fortress Monroe correspondence, of November 4, says:

‘ Twenty-nine contrabands, consisting of twenty-four men, one woman, and four children, have just been brought down from Newport News, whither they had come from Smithfield. They report numberless rebel soldiers above Newport News, and that they have had plenty to eat; but their stories are not reliable.

The death of Lieut. Col. Elder, of the 10th regiment New York volunteers, (Col. John E. Bendix,) has cast a gloom over the members of that organization, inasmuch as that officer had been very energetic and always working for the advancement of his command.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Dowell (4)
Wool (2)
Elder (2)
Washington (1)
Sherman (1)
Hawkins (1)
John E. Bendix (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
November 11th, 1861 AD (2)
November, 11 AD (2)
October, 11 AD (1)
June, 11 AD (1)
April, 11 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: