War matters.
late Northern news.

From the New York Herald, of the 15th inst, we make up the following interesting summary of news:

The late Eatton near Romney, Va.

From a letter in the Wheeling (Va.) Press, dated Romney, January 3d, we extract the following:

‘ Night before last we were informed that we would move on Blue's Gap during the night. Our information of the country and of the force of the enemy was meagre and uncertain At about midnight the regiments began to master and form, and by half-past 12 the column was in motion. The night was excessively cold, and we suffered not a little from that cause.

About half-past 7 o'clock we arrived at a height from which we could see the gap and the bridge. Col. Danning, who commanded the expedition, seeing an attempt being made to burn the bridge, ordered the Frith Ohio regiment to advance at double quick. This was done with a shout, and in a few minutes they were on a bank within two hundred yards of the bridge, pouring in bullets at such a rate that the attempt to burn and tear up the floor were both abandoned.

Col. Dunning then ordered his men men to charge on the bridge and over it, and compelling a negro woman at Blue's house to show him the road up to the left. He fed the Fifth Ohio rapidly into the mountain, to which the rebels had fled. There a sharp engagement ensued; whole voifeys of musketry were heard, and it was soon discovered that the rebels were firing from behind a breastwork on the top of the mountain. As soon as Col. Dunning discovered this he ordered his men to fix bayonets and charge.--While this was being done the rebels left in haste for their camp, at the foot of the mountain and back of the Gap.

While the above action was going on Col. Mason charged up the mountain to the right with the Fourth Ohio, and drove the rebels from the rocks on that side. Some sharp firing occurred in that direction. In the meantime, but when the firing had nearly ceased on the mountains, the Eighth Ohio led the way down the Gap, followed by the First Virginia, Seventh Ohio and the Fourth Indiana.

Colonel Dunning having passed on and taken the two pieces of artillery, with their caissons and horses also a wagon and horses, with the Ohio regiment returned and ordered the cavalry to charge. His orders were obeyed with promptness, but the rebels had taken to the mountains. The artillery could not be used, and not a shot was fired from cannon on either side during the action. The rebels were surprised, and it was a complete rout. We found eight dead bodies on the field, or rather amongst the rocks; there may have been more, but they were not reported, and, singular as it may appear, not a man of ours received even a scratch from a bullet. I can account for this only upon the ground that our guns were some of the best in the world, while theirs were probably inferior arms.--The whole thing was a brilliant affair, and was over in half an hour after the action commenced on the mountain.

Our force consisted of detachments of the 4th, 5th, 7th and 8th Ohio; the 14th Indiana and the 1st Virginia, together with two companies of cavalry and Daum's battery, with a section of Howard's battery — in all about two thousand five hundred men. Our information led us to expect about two thousand rebels, but the citizens and negroes agreed in stating their force at eight hundred. All went on well until some crazy soldiers, encouraged by some of the officers, commenced burning houses, and I am sorry to say that several houses, were burned along the road as they returned. The milland Blue's house, which were used for soldiers' quarters, were burned, perhaps properly, as they constituted a shelter, and might have been used again for a nest of bush whackers; but the burning of dwellings along the road was a piece of vandalism which should be punished with death, not only of the men who did it, but the officers who countenanced and encouraged it.

Federal report of the fight at Prestonsburg.

Louisville, Jan. 14. --The following official documents have just been received at headquarters here:

Paintsville, Jan. 8, 1861.

Capt. J. B. Fry,

Assistant Adjutant General:

I entered this place yesterday with the Forty-second Ohio regiment, Fourteenth Kentucky regiment, and three hundred of the Second Virginia cavalry. On hearing of my approach the main rebel force left their strongly entrenched camp and fled. I sent my cavalry to the mouth of Jennies Creek, where they attacked and drove the rebel cavalry, which had been left as a vanguard, a distance of five miles, killing three and wounding a considerable number. Marshall's whole army is now flying in utter confusion. He had abandoned and burned a large quantity of stores. We have taken fifteen prisoners. Our loss was two killed and one wounded. I start in pursuit to-morrow morning.

J. A. Garfield,

Commanding Brigade,

Brigade, Prestonsburg, Ky,. Jan. 11, 1862. Capt. J. B. Fry, Assistant Adj't-Gen:

I left Paintsville on Thursday noon with 1,100 men, and drove in the enemy's pickets two miles below Prestonsburg The men slept on their arms. At four o'clock yesterday morning we moved towards the main body of the enemy at the forks of Middle creek, under the command of Marshall. Skirmishing with his outposts began at eight o'clock, and at one o'clock P. M. we engaged his force of 2,500, with three cannon posted on the hill. We fought them until dark, having been reinforced by about 700 men from Paintsville, and drove the enemy from all his positions. He carried off the majority of his dead and all his wounded. This morning we found twenty-seven of his dead on the field. His killed cannot be less than sixty. We have taken twenty five prisoners, ten horses and a quantity of stores. The enemy burned most of his stores, and fled precipitately in the night. To-day I have crossed the river, and am now occupying Prestonsburg Our loss is two killed and twenty-five wounded.

J. A. Garfield,

Colonel Commanding Brigade.

Interesting from Missouri--troops ordered to March from Rolla — movements of Gen. Price, &c.

Sedalia, Mo., Jan. 14
--Advices have reached here that the 1st Kansas regiment, which was sent from here some days since arrived at Lexington on Friday last, where they arrested several of the most prominent and active rebels of the town. They also took and destroyed about 1,500 bogs, being packed for the use of Price's rebels, and a good deal of other valuable property.

About sixty rebels, belonging to the regiment of Col. Alexander, now a prisoner at St. Louis, were captured about six miles from here on Saturday last.

From an interesting correspondence in the New York Herald, dated Rolla, January 9th, we gather the following items:

The troops here, numbering some twelve thousand, are under orders for marching at a moment's warning. In the present condition of the roads such a movement would be next to an impossibility. This morning I rode out to the camps, two miles west of town, and found the highways thither, as well as those leading in other directions, little else save continuous lines of mud, varying from two to six inches in depth. It is of that sticky nature peculiar to the mud of the Great west, and would be a most serious impediment to the march of infantry or the movement of transportation trains. Cavalry alone could get through it without breaking down on the first day's march, and even to that arm of the service it would be very fatiguing.

We have positive information from General Price's army up to the 3d instant. It evacuated Springfield on New Year's day, and encamped on Wilson creek, near the old battle ground, also taking a position at Pond Spring, twelve miles west of Springfield, where Gen. Lyon's army waited for several days on its arrival from Roonville. A picket and foraging party held possession of Marshfield on the 5th, but a force of our troops had gone from Major Wright's command, and will probably succeed in driving them out. A party less than 200 strong were at Bolivar, on the road from Springfield to Warsaw, engaged in procuring flour and other supplies for the rebel army.

The Secessionists of Springfield and vicinity have nearly all gone South, taking with them their negroes and all their moveable property. A portion of Fort-Smith is reported destroyed by fire about a month since. A few refuges have lately come in who state that the rebels are greatly enrage at the outrages committed by Jennison and his men, and will retaliate severely at the earliest opportunity.

I have what I consider reliable information from spies just arrived, and who saw and talked with Price five days since, that the rebels intend to return to some point on the sage, above Warsaw, as soon as their forces are properly organized.

The hospitals at this post are in a horrible condition. Spitable buildings for the accommodation of the sick have been erected,

and the men are obliged to lie upon the wet ground. Several deaths occur daily.--The attention of the proper authorities at St. Louis has been called to the matter, but as yet no response has been given.

At Franklin, the junction of the main line and south western branch of the Pacific Railroad, is a force of three thousand troops, in command of Lieutenant-Colonel Herron, of the 9th lowa. A few days since Colonel Herron learned of a rebel depot of arms about ten miles distant, and, sending out an expedition, seized nearly a hundred guns and a supply of flour and bacon. Several prisoners were taken at the same time. This is the third haul he has made within four weeks.

The released prisoners from Richmond returned to camp.

The special Washington correspondent of the New York Herald writes as follows:

The following named twenty-four exchanged prisoners from Richmond--twenty taken at the battle of Bull Run, on the 21st of July, and four while on picket at Munson's Hill, on the 28th of August --were paid off at Washington on the 13th inst., and returned to the camp of their regiment in Virginia under direction of Lieutenant W. Banks. They halted at Colonel Ward's quarters, and gave him three times three hearty cheers, as their commanding officer at the Hull Run battle. An over whelming outburst of congratulation and applause from the entire regiment, a hearty welcome from the Colonel, and suitable refreshments, was their reception. It is remarkable in these soldiers, badly wounded in many instances, and having suffered five and a half months, imprisonment at Richmond, treated more like dogs than men, that not even one would consent to accept the furlough offered by the War Department until they first returned to their regiment and placed themselves again under the command of Colonel Ward.

The account given by these men is conclusive that the Federal prisoners in the hands of the rebels are patriotic and true men. Not long since a private from this regiment deserted and went over to the enemy, and was placed in the same prison with these men at Richmond. Not one of them would speak with him, and their contempt was so great that a rope was prepared to hang him in the prison. The authorities found it necessary to confine him in the prison with the citizens, This speaks well for the character of our soldiers. Sixty-five members of this regiment are yet held as prisoners of war in various portions of the South, including Major J. D. Potter and Lieutenant Thomas Hamblin. Surgeon Griswold and Captain Hugh McQuade, who were also prisoners, have both died, the latter of wounds received at Bull Run.

The following are the names of the returned prisoners; Serg't Chas W. Fairfield, company D; Frederick Hoefer company C; W, H. Millett, company G; Patrick McGinnley and John Hirst, company C; Michael Dowting, company F; Adolphus Keller, company C; Jas. H. Hart, company B; Ferd. Kelley, company B; Michael McGrain, company B; Luther L. Mills, company A; Jas. A. Coburn, company K; Ed. Sweeney, company G; Henry Hege, company G; Hugh F. Dunnigan, company H; Chas Redecker, company G; John Tyler, company D; Samuel Van Duger, company I; Wm. Fielding, company F; Wm. H. Brees, company l; Henry Van Orman, company K; Augustus Gauss, company C; Ed. N. Kellogg, company B, and Edw. L. Marsh, company E. Total, twenty-four.

Another letter from Dempsey, the Yankee prisoner.

From the New York Herald, of the 15th instant, we copy the following letter, from J. W. Dempsey, who, it will be remembered, wrote a letter from the Charleston prison some time since, in which he took occasion to utter many falsehoods with regard to the treatment of Federal prisoners in the South:

Columbia, S. C., Jan. 4, 1862.
My Dear Wife
--Before this reaches you the papers, no doubt, will have informed you of our removal from Charleston to this city.-- We left Charleston New Year's morning, and arrived here late in the afternoon. There was a military escort in attendance, commanded by Capt. Schiver. At the depot, and along the line of march, there was, of course, the usual number of curious spectators; but they showed no disposition to insult or wound our feelings. Arriving at the jail we were agreeably disappointed.-- We were shown to our quarters on the first floor. They were clean and airy, apparently newly painted up. There is a temporary building erected in the yard for the privates. There were 150 men confined in this jail before we came. Their quarters are in the main building. They all speak in the highest terms of the kindness shown to them by Captain Schiver, his officers and men.

I expected to find some of the members of my regiment here, but I was disappointed. Poor fellows, I have not heard from them since I left Richmond. Had any one of them been sent with me it would be much more pleasant for me, and nothing worse for them, as I could have relieved their sufferings in many ways. If my letters have not been received, I fear their friends and themselves will think I have forgotten them. I sent you the names of all the wounded from Richmond last August. If you receive it save it, as I have lost the copy. I have written to Colonel Tompkins and Captain Decorsey, but got no answer. You will be delighted to learn Colonel Corcoran and the officers confined with him are in good health. They were removed here with us. Lieutenants Connolly and Underhill, in fact all the officers and men, are in good health. My dear wife, I received my trunk and box, together with four letters from you, on Christmas Eve. From circumstances that I will here after explain, it was impossible for me to write until New Year's morning. Your likeness and little Mary's was my only company this anniversary of the birth of Christ. When you write say if you got my letter dated 1st of January. Do not send me any money, as I have made arrangements with Colonel Corcoran for all I want. My health never was better. Be of good cheer; all will be right. Kiss little Mary for me. My love to mother, sister and the little boys. Your affectionate husband.

Recovery of Gen. M'Clellan.

The Washington telegraphic correspondent of the New York Herald, under date of the 14th inst., says:

General McClellan has quite recovered from his recent illness, and is now able to devote himself to business. Those whose impatience had induced them to murmur at the to them apparently unreasonable delay of any great military movement, will soon have occasion to acknowledge their error.--General McClellan confides his plans to none, except as they are to be executed. His purpose is to effectually crush out the rebellion, and restore the public peace and the integrity of the Union. Within the last few days those who have been admitted even to a partial confidence, and among them some who have looked gloomily upon the future, are elated at the prospect presented, and express satisfaction that all will soon be convinced of the wisdom of the course of the Commanding General.

The regulations for Visiting the District Jail.

Washington, Jan. 14.
--On account of the inquisitorial proclivities of certain prominent politicians with the affairs of the District prison, Marshal Lamon to-day submitted to the presiding officer of each branch of Congress a statement of the regulations he had adopted in reference to the admission of visitors to the prison. The President of the United States and members of his Cabinet, the Judges of the Supreme Court and of the Courts of Record in the District, and President of the Senate and Speaker of the House of Representatives, are privileged to visit the prison at will. Senators can be admitted only upon the written pass of the President of that body, and members of the House upon the pass of the Speaker. All other visitors must exhibit a pass from the Marshal. This regulation has found much objection among the radical agitators, and was the occasion of a severe attack upon the Marshal by Senator Grimes in the Senate to-day.

Activity of the Confederate batteries on the lower Potomac.

Washington, Jan. 14.
--A bout 8 o'clock last night, as the Reliance was running down to rejoin the lower flotilla, fire was opened on her by the batteries at Cockpit Point. After ten rounds had been fired, these batteries ceased, the Reliance having run out of range. Shortly after the batteries lower down opened, and kept up a brisk cannonade until near 9 o'clock Thirty-eight rounds in all were fired. The wind was from the northward, which prevented us from hearing the report the guns, but the flashes from the mussiest were very vivid and incessant. We saw several of the shelled burst in the air, some over on the Maryland shore, and others apparently over the river on the other side of Stump Neck. The sky was overcast with cloud, but the glare of the moon shown sufficiently through them to render objects visible at a considerable distance. The Reliance repassed the batteries without being fired at.

At about 14 this afternoon the batteries at Shipping Point and Cockit Point again opened fire, this time on the Maryland shore,

keeping up an incessant roar, and causing the steamer Stepping Stones to tremble with the concussion. Their shells burst high in the air over the land or on the river, and one shell from Cock pit Point exploded into the entrance to Mattawoman, creek.

Reconnaissance near Columbus — movements of Union troops.

The gun-boats Essex, St Louis, and Tyler made a reconnaissance down the river today. They approached within a mile and a half of Columbus, and fired several shots into the rebel camps. The rebels returned the fire from three or four guns without doing any damage to our boats. The effect of our shells is unknown.

No obstruction in the river nor masked batteries on shore were discovered, as before reported.

General McClernand's column moved in the direction of Blandville, Ky., to-day.

Gen. Paine's force moved forward this morning from Bird's Point.

The Second regiment of the Douglas Brigade will arrive to-night.

The Seventh Lowa, Eighth Wisconsin, and Forty-fifth Illinois are expected to-morrow.

Operations of the Confederates at Cave city, Ky.

Louisville, Jan. 14.
--The rebels of Hammond's command, encamped up the river, on Sunday night burned the depot and black smith's shop, and took all the goods from the store of Mr. Mustain, at Horse Cave. They also burned the Woodland depot at Cave City, the Cave City hotel and stables.

The citizens at all those points were notified and escaped to Munfordsville, as the rebels stated that they intended to return on Monday night and burn every house that could be used by the Union army in its advance as a hospital of quarters. They also burned up all the hay, eats and fodder stacks along the road, and drove off or killed all the cattle, horses and mules to be found.

Indian affairs.

Washington, Jan. 14.
--The Committee on Indian Affairs will soon recommend, in accordance with the views of the Secretary of the Interior, a total abolition in the manner of granting licenses to traders among the Indians. The committee are of opinion that these traders are something like sutlers-- ‘"spongers"’ --and use, as a majority, every opportunity afforded them to make money at the expense of purchasers.

Cotton seed in demand — sale of condemned horses.

Washington, Jan. 14.
--Numerous applications are made to the Commissioner of Patents for cotton seed. It is his intention to procure a quantity of such seed as he believes will succeed in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois for distribution in small quantities.

One hundred and twenty-five condemned Government horses were sold at auction to day, bringing from one dollar to ninety-eight dollars, or an average of twenty-eight dollars each. Is is said that some of these animals have contagious diseases.

News from New Mexico--rebel troops marching to attack Fort Craig and Fort Union.

Kansas City, Mo, Jan. 13.
--The Santa Fe mail has arrived, with dates to December 29. Two thousand Texan troops are reported to be marching up the Rio Grand river for the purpose of attacking Fort Craig, and the same number marching up the Tocos river to attack Fort Union. The troops stationed at Fort Wise have been ordered to New Mexico. Fort Union is well prepared to receive an at tack; but fears are entertained that Fort Craig will be taken and the Texans advance on Santa Fe. Considerable excitement prevails in that place.

A strange Juxtaposition.

The Boston Traveller, of the 13th instant, says:

‘ Five officers of the British army reached this city on Friday last, in the steamer from Europe, on their way to Canada, preparatory to fighting the United States, should a war with England occur. They stopped at a hotel, and their names were recorded upon the register. Later in the day focus officers of the Confederate army, just released from Fort Warren, on their way to the South, undoubtedly to fight against us in that quarter, stopped at the same hotel, and placed their names just below those of the British officers.

Hon. John G. Davis.

The Cincinnati Commercial says:

‘ The Indianapolis Sentinel denies the statement that the Hon. John G. Davis has fled the State, says he is in Rockville attending to his business, and adds that if the editor of the Journal dare repeat the charges made against Mr. Davis ‘"he will be the best cowhided man that ever received such a punishment in Indiana, "’ which it thinks will be convincing proof even to the editor of the Journal that Mr. Davis is at home.

Accident on the western Railroad.

Troy, Jan. 14.
--This forenoon, as the Troy and Boston train was about twenty miles above this city, it ran into a farmer's wagon at a crossing. The occupants of the wagon were John Grant and wife Mrs. G. was killed instantly, and Mr. G. so horribly mangled that he cannot survive.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: