Forty-seventh regiment Massachusetts Infantry (Militia).
Col. Lucius B. Marsh
|Field and Staff.||Line.||companies.||Unassigned Recruits.||Totals.|
|Number on regimental rolls,—|
|Enlisted men (included above) commissioned in regiment.||–||–||–||–||1||–||–||–||–||–||2||–||–||3|
|Enlisted men (included above) serving elsewhere within regiment.||–||–||1||–||1||–||–||–||–||–||1||1||–||4|
|Actual total of members of regiment,—|
The 47th Mass. Infantry, also known as the Merchants' Guard Regiment, was recruited in the autumn of 1864 at Camp Stanton, Boxford, Mass.
, through the efforts of Lucius B. Marsh
, who became colonel of the regiment.
The companies being mustered in on varying dates from September 19 to October 31, and the field and staff on November 7, the regiment moved to Readville November 11, and on the 29th was ordered to New York; and leaving to join the forces in the Department of the Gulf, reached New Orleans December 31.
The command was sent for a few days to Carrollton
, and returning to New Orleans served until March at United States
Barracks and Louisiana
Lower Cotton Press, Company E being detached for provost duty at Thibodeaux
On March 12 the regiment, reunited (with the exception of Company B, which remained throughout its service as guard for commissary and ordnance stores at New Orleans), was ordered to the Metaire Race-course, moving in May to Camp Parapet, where it spent the remainder of its service.
The 2d Louisiana Engineer Regiment, recruited at this time, drew its officers largely from the ranks of the 47th.
The regiment left Carrollton
August 5, its term of service having expired, reached Boston
August 18 and was mustered out at Readville Sept. 1, 1863.