previous next

No. 127. report of Capt. George C. Lusk, Tenth Illinois Infantry, of operations May 1-August 20.

Hdqrs. Tenth Illinois Vet. Vol. Infantry, Near East Point, Ga., September 13, 1864.
Sir: In compliance with the request of General Morgan, I send you the following report of the operations of the Tenth Illinois Infantry during this campaign, commencing May 1, 1864, and ending August 20, 1864:

On the 1st day of May, 1864, we received orders to be ready to march at daylight the next morning. On the morning of the 2d we [657] left Rossville and that day reached Ringgold, where we went into camp and lay until the 5th, when we moved through the gap and reached the first station on the outside. On the 7th we moved to Tunnel Hill, and in the afternoon five companies of our regiment were deployed as skirmishers and moved forward, driving the rebels from the hill and holding it. On the 9th we crossed the valley and formed at the foot of Rocky Face, up which we soon moved in support of the Sixtieth Illinois, who were deployed as skirmishers. About noon one company was deployed and sent to the right to try to dislodge the rebel sharpshooters, who were getting very troublesome. This they found to be impossible on account of the position. On the 10th we passed to the right and directly in front of the gap. Three companies were sent into the gap with orders to go as far as possible and try to discover the rebel artillery, which they had thus far succeeded in keeping concealed. In this they were successful. They advanced steadily until the rebels opened their batteries upon them, when they laid down and awaited orders. At night they were relieved, and our brigade was relieved from the front line. We moved back a short distance and remained until the 12th, when we marched to the right and passed through Snake Creek Gap. On the 13th we marched to Resaca and took position in rear of the First Division, Fourteenth Army Corps. That night we moved to the right and took a position in the front line, where we lay until the evacuation of Resaca, which took place on the night of the 15th. On the 16th we marched back to Snake Creek Gap, where we had left our knapsacks, then took the road which we were told led to Rome. We stopped that night within eighteen miles of that city. On the 17th we continued our march, and at noon had arrived at Jones. Mill, where we halted until about 9 o'clock that night. Two companies were sent to the mill as a guard. At 9 p. m. we started again on the Rome road, and at 2 a. m. we halted about two miles from the city. The next day we moved up within sight of the town, where we remained until the 22d. That day we received orders to pack up and get ready to march. We crossed over into Rome, and then across the Coosa River on pontoons; two companies were given the job of clearing the way. They crossed on pontoons, and after deploying, marched, steadily up the hill, driving the rebels before them. The rest of the regiment then crossed and the pioneers commenced throwing the bridge across. On the 24th we left camp on the Coosa and took the main road leading to Atlanta, and camped that night, at Cave Spring. The next day we turned off and took the Dallasroad, and on the 26th arrived at the town of Dallas. Three companies were here deployed as skirmishers and drove the rebels out of it. The next day we moved into position in front of Dallas and threw up breast-works. We had two companies on picket, and lost 5 men. We lay in our works until the 1st of June, when we moved to the left and stopped in the rear of the Twenty-third Corps for supper. At dark we moved to the front and took position on the second line, where we remained until the 4th, when we again moved to the left and joined the Fourteenth Army Corps, from which we had been detached since the evacuation of Resaca, and were sent to the top of a high hill to the line. That night the rebels again evacuated. On the 6th we again started in pursuit and marched all day, seeing no rebels. Here we again laid still, and on the 10th again started. About noon of this day we met thein in front of Pine Mountain. That night two companies were sent on picket. Early [658] next day we were relieved and moved to the left, and at night found ourselves to the left and rear of the First Division, Fourteenth Army Corps, where we lay until the 14th, when we again left camp, in light marching order. We went about a mile to the front and threw up log works; two companies sent out to support the skirmish line. At 3 p. m. we moved still farther to the left, where we threw up another line of works. The regiment here was formed into two lines, the right wing forming the first, the left wing the second line. On the 15th we had four companies on the skirmish line. On the 18th advanced our lines a considerable distance to the front and threw up works. That night the rebels evacuated, and early the next morning we were after them. They retreated to the top of Kenesaw Mountain. We followed them to the foot of the mountain, where we intrenched and lay until the 25th. During our stay we suffered some from the rebel sharpshooters and artillery. On the night of the 25th we left the works and moved to the right. Early on the 27th we were thrown into the front line of works, then occupied by a brigade of Hooker's corps. To gain this position we were obliged to pass through an open field for several rods. While doing this we lost a good many good men. A charge was made by our division that day, but our regiment did not participate. We lay here until the morning of the 3d, the rebels having evacuated the night before. We followed them through Marietta, and were placed in the front line when we did find them.

On the night of July 4 we were sent on picket. That night the rebels again evacuated, and the next day followed them to the Chattahoochee, where we went into camp and remained until the 17th, when we again started and crossed the river and marched about two miles. The next day we were sent on picket and ordered to advance the line. We (lid so, and soon our flanks struck Peach Tree Creek. There was considerable skirmishing in the night and we lost several men, among them Major Wilson and Captain Munson. That night we were stationed as picket and the next day were ordered to throw our center forward until it struck the creek and then to follow its windings. We found it required eight companies to fill the space three had formerly filled. During the afternoon the left of our line had a sharp skirmish, but lost no men. That night we were relieved and went to the brigade, which was a mile and a half to the left. On the 21st we moved out to the main Marietta and Atlanta road, and after coming to the line moved to the extreme right and took position on the flank, where we laid until the 26th, when we went to the front to assist the Sixteenth Corps into position. Our regiment was on the front line, five companies as skirmishers. We returned to camp that night. On the 28th we went on a grand reconnaissance toward Turner's Ferry and then to the front. We returned about 12 that night and took a position farther to the right and front of where we started in the morning. The next day we took position on the line. The next day we again moved forward and took position in a swamp, where we intrenched. On the 31st we went out on a reconnoitering expedition. On the 5th of August we left the camp in the swamp and moved forward; took up a new position; here we threw up fine works.--On the 7th we again advanced, and this trme got pretty close to the rebel works. We now began to be bothered by their sharpshooters and several men were lost in that way. On the 8th the regiment was placed on picket, and relieved on the 9th. On the 11th we again went on picket. On the 12th we moved [659] into the Fourteenth Michigan's old works, which lay to the right and rear. On the 15th one company was sent out on a foraging expedition and returned the same day. At 3 a. m. on the 19th we went with the division to support thje Twenty-third Corps, and on the 20th we left the Fourteenth Corps, as we were transferred to the Sixteenth Corps.

The following is a list of casualties in the regiment during the campaign commencing May 1, 1864, and ending August 20, 1864: Commissioned officers-Maj. Samuel J. Wilson, wounded severely; Adjt. W. W. Rice, killed; Capt. Frank A. Munson, wounded severely; Capt. Charles Carpenter, wounded slightly; Lieut. S. K. Baughman, wounded slightly. Enlisted men-killed, 13; wounded, 60; missing, 10; total, 83. Aggregate, 88.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your most obedient servant,

G. C. Lusk, Captain, Commanding Regiment. Capt. T. Wiseman
, Asst. Adjt. Gen., Second Division, 14th Army Corps.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
May 1st, 1864 AD (3)
August 20th, 1864 AD (2)
15th (2)
9th (2)
7th (2)
September 13th, 1864 AD (1)
August 20th (1)
August 5th (1)
July 4th (1)
June 1st (1)
May 1st (1)
31st (1)
28th (1)
24th (1)
21st (1)
18th (1)
17th (1)
16th (1)
13th (1)
12th (1)
11th (1)
10th (1)
8th (1)
6th (1)
3rd (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: