previous next

No. 142. report of Lieut. Col. Allen L. Fahnestock, Eighty-sixth Illinois Inf antry.

Hdqrs. Eighty-Sixth Illinois Vol. Infantry, Atlanta, Ga., September 7, 1864.
Captain: I have the honor to make the following report of the part taken by the Eighty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry in the great Georgia campaign, from the time it marched from Lee and Gordon's Mills, May 3, 1864, to the time it arrived in the city of Atlanta, Ga., September 4, 1864:

Early on the morning of the 3d of May, pursuant to orders, I marched my regiment with the brigade to Ringgold, Ga., joining the division at this place. Here I encamped and remained until the 5th of May, when, with the brigade (Col. Dan. McCook commanding), I moved my regiment two miles south of Ringgold and encamped near --Church. On the evening of the 6th of May I received orders to be ready to move at daylight. Accordingly, at the appointed time, on the morning of the 7th of May, I moved my regiment with the brigade toward Tunnel Hill. We had movedbut a few miles when our skirmishers, Fifty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry (Lieutenant-Colonel Clancy commanding), my regiment supporting it, caine in contact with the enemy. I was ordered by Colonel McCook to march my regiment in line of battle, my left [720] resting on the road. In this order I moved forward through a skirt of woods into an open field; the enemy opened with artillery, but fortunately did no damage. The army was detained but a short time. I was ordered to march by the flank. I marched the regiment on the main road south of Tunnel Hill about one mile, and then went into position on the right of the road, my left joining the One hundred and twenty-fifty Illinois (Colonel Harmon), and my right the Seventy-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, of the First Division, Fourteenth Army Corps. I remained in this position until the morning of the 8th of May, when the whole brigade advanced in front of Buzzard Roost. No change of position was made till the 9th instant, when, with the brigade, I was ordered to move my regiment about one mile to the left to support the First Brigade (General Morgan), one or two regiments of which were deployed as skirmishers. Nothing unusual transpired until the 10th of May, when 2 enlisted men were wounded by sharpshooters. In the evening the Third Brigade (Col. Dan. McCook) relieved the First Brigade (General Morgan), my regiment supporting the skirmishers. Nothing unusual occurred except an incessant fire kept up by the skirmishers on both sides, doing, however, very little damage on our side. On the evening of the 11th of May the brigade was relieved by a brigade of Major-General Stanley's division, of the Fourth Corps (Major-General Howard). I moved my regiment, with the brigade, to the rear and encamped for the night. On the morning of May 12 our connection with Buzzard Roost was severed. A large portion of the army moved to the right through Snake Creek Gap, continuing the march till 3 a. m. of the 13th of May, when we lay down and rested for a few hours. I was ordered to move with the brigade about one mile, where we halted, closed in mass, in which position we remained unitil evening, when the brigade moved to the left of Resaca, Ga., striking the Dalton road and bivouacking for the night. May 14, I moved with the brigade for the front, and took a position in a field, where I remained closed in mass till about 3 p. m., when the brigade formed in line of battle, under heavy artillery fire, on the right of the Twenty-third Corps, my regiment on the right of the Fifty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry (Lieutenant-Colonel Clancy) and on the left of the Eighty-fifth Illinois (Colonel Dilworth). The brigade remained in this position till night and then moved to the right about a half mile, on a hill, and fortified. Nothing unusual transpired until the 15th, 4 men of my regiment vvere wounded by sharpshooters, whose bullets kept whizzing over our heads continually. In the evening my regiment relieved the One hundred and twenty-fifth Illinois (Colonel Harmon) on the skirmish line; about midnight the enemy made an attack (or feint, rather) to cover their retreat. On the morning of the 16th their works were evacuated, the whole army was put in motion, and, with the old flag in the breeze, moved triumphantly over the country won from the enemy. I marched my regiment, with the brigade, through Resaca, thence to Snake Creek Gap, and thence toward Rome, Ga. . May 17, marched to within two miles of Rome, where we met the enemy in force. I formed my regiment in line of battle, the Twentysecond Indiana (Lieutenant-Colonel Wiles) on my left, and balance of brigade in support. In this position we advanced; we soon found the enemy, and a brisk fight ensued. The enemy was routed, and victory was ours. My regiment in this engagement lost 6 men killed and 11 wounded. The loss was light in comparison to the work done. On the following day I marched my regiment with the [721] brigade triumphantly into the city of Rome. To the valor of the Eighty-sixth Illinois belongs a large share of the honor of having wrested from the enemy a very important military point. At Rome. I remained encamped with the brigade until May 24, when the whole brigade resumed its march southward toward Dallas, Ga., where it arrived May 26. From this date to June 15 nothing transpired that would be of any importance in this report. With the exception of changing position, relieving and being relieved on the sirkmish line and following up the enemy, who in the mean time had fallen back .a short distance, nothing occurred. On the 15th of June six companies of my regiment were deployed as skirmishers, and in advancing the lines 2 men were wounded. On the 16th of June I had 2 more men wounded on the skirmish line. Nothing very iniportant occurred until June 19. The rebels fell back to Kenesaw Mountain, as usual. Our brigade followed them up. On the 21st and 22d of June six companies of my regiment were deployed as skirmishers; I enlisted man was killed and 2 wounded; also, I man was wounded in quarters on the 22d by a shell.

On the 25th of June I moved with the brigade to the right about three miles and remained in camp until the 27th of June. Early on this morning I received orders to be ready to move at sunrise, leaving camp and garrison equipage behind. A charge on the rebel center had been ordered. At about 8 a. m. our gallant and brave colonel (Dan. McCook) formed his brigade, my regiment in the second line. The signal guns soon pealed forth their thunder, and in a moment thousands of brave soldiers stood ready to advance on the traitorous foe. The charge was gallantly led, but the works proved too strong to be carried. In this charge my regiment lost 4 commissioned officers wounded (Capts. Frank Hitchcock, Company D; Edward Vanantwerp, Company E (since dead); Lieut. Samuel T. Rogers (A), and Lieut. and Adjt. L. J. Dawdy, wounded and captured), 27 enlisted men killed, 56 wounded, and 11 captured, all wounded except 3. But notwithstanding the rebel works were not carried, the charging column was not repulsed, for it maintained the position gained and fortified from twenty — five to sixty yards from the rebel works. My regiment, with the brigade, remained within twenty-five yards of the rebel works, keeping up an incessant fire until they fell back, on the night of July 2. During the six days we lay so close to the rebel works my regiment lost additional 2 enlisted men killed and 8 wounded. My regimeht again moved on with the victorious army after the retreating foe until July 10. He had retreated across the Chattahoochee River. Three companies were deployed as skirmishers in pursuing the enemy on the 10th ; 1 enlisted man was wounded. I remained with the brigade on the north side of the Chattahoochee River doing — picket and other duties till the 18th, when we moved to the south side of the river to within about one mile of Peach Tree Creek. On the 19th of July my regiment took part in a brisk engagement on Peach Tree Creek, by which we gained a very important position. Casualties, I commissioned officer wounded (Lieut. William D. Faulkner, Company D), 4 enlisted men killed and 5 wounded. On the 22d, the rebels having again retreated the army followed them up in front of Atlanta. From this date until the 28th the regiment was engaged in nothing except the usual routine of a campaign, such as picketing, &c.

On July 28 it took part with the division in an important reconnaissance on the extreme right of our line, my regiment having four [722] companies deployed as skirmishers. Nothing unusual transpired --ntil August 5, when again my regiment took part in advancing the lines, meeting with but little resistance. Nothing worthy of note occurred till August 20, when I moved with the brigade around the extreme right of the Twenty-third Corps to the Montgomery railroad, cutting both railroad and telegraph. I returned again with the brigade in the evening and remained in camp till the 27th of August. The casualties of the regiment from the 22d of July to this date were 8 enlisted men wounded.

On the 27th of August I received orders to move my regiment. The whole army apparently was in motion. We kept moving on the right, nothing important transpiring to my regiment until Septefmber 1. Early this morning I received orders to move with the brigade to the left. We crossed a valley and the main road from JonesboroughI to Atlanta.. Here we took the direction of Jonesborough until, in a mile and a half of the town, the order was to charge the rebels. My regiment formed the second line. The column moved forward, under a galling fire of musketry and artillery, three-quarters of a mile, but with unwavering steps moved forward, taking the enemy's works and many prisoners. The loss of the regiment in this brilliant victory is 2 men killed and 13 wounded. I remained in my position (fortified) till next morning, and then was ordered to move to Jonesborough. On the evening of the 3d the brigade started back to Atlanta, with 1,600 prisoners. On the 4th my regiment, with the brigade, arrived safely in Atlanta with the prisoners.

Thus ended most brilliantly a four months campaign. Almost every day during the whole campaign the regiment has been under fire. For the officers and men of this regiment I must say they have done nobly, and behaved themselves worthy of the great cause in which they are engaged.

Recapitulation of casualties: Commissioned officers — wounded, 4; wounded and captured, 1. Enlisted men-killed, 43; wounded, 113; missing, 14. Aggregate loss, 175.

Allen L. Fahnestock, Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding Regiment. Capt. Charles Swift
, Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., 3d Brig., 2d Div., 14th Army Corps.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: