previous next

Doc. 114.-the capture of John Morgan.

General Shackleford's report.1

headquarters U. S. Forces, in field, Gregg's Creek, July 20 P. M.
To Lieutenant-Colonel Richmond, A. A. G.:
we chased John Morgan and his command over fifty miles to-day.

After heavy skirmishing for six or seven miles between the Forty-fifth Ohio and Colonel Wolford's brigade, which was in advance of the enemy, we succeeded in bringing the enemy to a stand about three o'clock this P. M., when a fight ensued which lasted an hour, when the rebels fled, taking refuge upon a very high bluff.

I sent a flag of truce demanding the immediate unconditional surrender of Morgan and his command. The flag was received by Colonel Coleman and other officers, who came down and asked a personal interview. They asked an hour for consultation, and I granted forty minutes; in which time the command, excepting Morgan, who deserted his command,, taking with him a very small squad, surrendered.

It was my understanding that Morgan himself had surrendered, and found it was the understanding of Morgan's officers and men that the number of killed and wounded is inconsiderable. The number of prisoners is from one thousand to one thousand five hundred, including a large number of colonels, majors, and line-officers.

I captured between six hundred and seven hundred prisoners yesterday.

I will capture Morgan himself to-morrow.

Shackleford, Brigadier-General.

Report of Lieut.-Colonel Warner.

headquarters Eighth Michigan cavalry, in the field, July 20, 1863.
John Stockton, Colonel Eighth Michigan Cavalry, Commanding Post Hickman Bridge, Ky.:
Colonel: I have the honor to submit the following report of the marches, etc., of the Eighth Michigan cavalry, under my command, since leaving Hickman Bridge, Ky., July fourth, 1863, to this time:

Receiving orders on the evening of July fourth to make a forced march with my command to Lebanon, Ky., and there support the garrison threatened by John Morgan, I broke camp at nine o'clock pursuant to said orders. I ordered all tents and baggage left behind, and but two days rations in the men's haversacks.

At two o'clock A. M. of the fifth I halted my command for two hours, four miles beyond Danville, having marched twenty-four miles. At this place I fell in with the Eleventh Michigan battery and Ninth Michigan cavalry, in command of Colonel James I. David, and he being the senior officer, I came under his orders.

At Parksville I halted for wood and water, and was here ordered to follow the Ninth cavalry and Eleventh battery, which I did.

We reached Lebanon at two o'clock P. M., when the Eleventh battery immediately opened upon the rear-guard of the enemy, then leaving town on the Lexington Pike. My desire to charge into the town, or cut off the enemy by a cross-road, not being concurred in by Colonel David, they were permitted to escape without molestation, much to the disappointment of my whole command.

The Twentieth Kentucky infantry, Colonel Hanson, had surrendered an hour before our arrival, after a most gallant fight against vastly superior numbers.

The enemy had burnt the railroad depot and station-house, with several private dwellings, and pillaged the principal stores in the town.

At eight o'clock, the same day, I was ordered [390] to countermarch with the Ninth cavalry and the Eleventh battery to Danville, which place we reached at four o'clock P. M. of the sixth, making the march without halt, except for wood and water.

At Danville, Colonel W. P. Saunders, Fifth Kentucky cavalry, took command of the whole force, constituting the Eighth and Ninth Michigan cavalry brigade.

At half-past 12 o'clock A. M. of the seventh we took up our line of march for Lawrenceburgh, Ky., forty-three miles distant from Danville. Halting at Harrodsburgh for breakfast, feed, and water, we pushed on, reaching Lawrenceburgh at four o'clock P. M.

From Lawrenceburgh I sent out Lieutenant J. E. Babbitt, with fifty men, to scout between the Kentucky and Salt Rivers. On the Salt River, near Salvisa, Lieutenant Babbitt came upon Captain Alexander's company, of Morgan's division, and captured thirty, killing fourteen.

The command remained at Lawrenceburgh awaiting orders until nine o'clock P. M. on the eleventh instant, when we took up our line of march for Westport via Eminence and Lagrange, reaching Westport at twelve o'clock at midnight, having marched seventy-three miles over a very rough and hilly road, with but four hours halt at Eminence for rest, feed, and water.

At Westport, Charles Laturner, private, company G, was accidentally shot through the body, and was left at that place under proper care.

Morgan having crossed the Ohio River into Indiana, we took transports on Sunday morning, the twelfth instant, for Madison, Indiana, in order to cut him off, leaving behind company I, of my command, a portion of the Ninth, with all our extra baggage, wagons, etc., in command of Colonel David, not having transportation sufficient for the entire command. At Madison we found Morgan had got ahead of us, so we moved on to Lawrenceburgh, Indiana, where Major Mix was sent out to reconnoitre the enemy, learn his force, etc. He proceeded to Guilford, ten miles, and reported again in three hours to the entire satisfaction of General Manson, commanding forces on transports. From Lawrenceburgh we moved on to Cincinnati, reaching that city at half-past 5 o'clock P. M., on the thirteenth instant.

At Cincinnati, Major Edgerly was sent out with his battalion by Colonel Saunders, on a scout, joining us again at Batavia, Ohio, on the fifteenth, having accomplished his mission with success. Lieutenant Babbitt was also sent out two miles from the city to guard a bridge. I have not heard from him since that time.

At four o'clock P. M., the fourteenth, Colonel Saunders, with the balance of his command, moved out to Evandale, three miles from the city, remaining there until half-past 3 o'clock P. M. of the same day, when he received orders to join Brigadier-General Hobson's command in pursuit of Morgan, which command we reached sixteen miles north of Cincinnati. From this time we continued the pursuit with but short halts for feed and rest for our horses, until Sunday morning, the nineteenth instant. After marching all the previous night, we came upon the enemy at Buffington Island Ford, near Portland, Ohio, some two hundred and fifty miles east of Cincinnati. On coming upon the enemy, the Second and Seventh Ohio cavalry being in our front, were dismounted and deployed as skirmishers. Our brigade then came up, when Colonel Saunders ordered the Eleventh Michigan battery to open upon the rebels, and the Eighth and Ninth to charge. This was done with alacrity and spirit, when the enemy, already slowly retiring, took to flight in great disorder, strewing the ground over which they fled with the plunder which they had accumulated all along their line of march. On reaching the woods, I deployed Major Edgerly, with his battalion, to the right, and Major Mix to the left. The pursuit was continued until the horses were worn down, when we returned to Buffington. Major Edgerly's command took one hundred and forty-seven prisoners, Major Mix seventy, making two hundred and seventeen prisoners, with their horses and equipments. Not any of my command were killed, and but two wounded, namely, E. A. Kesler, Sergeant company A, and Jas. Reed, Corporal company A. First Sergeant G. Warner, company A, received a severe wound in the leg, by the accidental discharge of his pistol, while on the march.

I cannot speak in terms of too strong praise of my command since breaking camp at Hickman. During the long, tedious march of five hundred and seventy-three miles, which took sixteen days, much of the time night and day, and that with short rations, they have endured it as Michigan soldiers through this ungodly war have done, without complaint. With cheerfulness and alacrity have my orders been responded to by both officers and men. I was obliged to leave several along the line of march, either sick or worn out, some on account of their horses giving out, with no fresh ones to be procured at the time.

Our arms — the Spencer rifle — proved, as before, a terror to the rebels. They thought us in much stronger force than we were, when each man could pour seven shots into them so rapidly. This is the first instance during the war, I think, where the proportion of killed was greater than the wounded. As far as reports have come in, it is, at least, three killed to one wounded, and this fact is owing to the terrible execution of our rifles.

We remain here a short time to gather up captured property, arms, etc., and then expect to be ordered back to Hickman.

Captain S. Wells, Lieutenant Tubbs, and Lieutenant W. B. Smith represent my command on Colonel Saunders's staff.

With much respect,

G. S. Warner, Lieut.-Colonel Commanding Eighth Michigan Cavalry.

Official report of Colonel Hill.

headquarters Second brigade Ohio militia, Zanesville, Ohio, July 24, 1863.
To His Excellency David Tod, Governor of Ohio:
By order of Colonel Benjamin B. Runkle, commanding [391] division Ohio militia, I left Scott's Landing on the morning of the twenty-second instant, with a portion of my brigade, for the purpose of intercepting Morgan's forces on the Muskingum River, at any point where he might attempt to cross. His movements during the day, as indicated by my scouts, led me to suspect he would attempt to cross at Beverly, or at some other point between that place and McConnellsville — most probably at Windsor. Placing guards at the fords, and covering my entire front with scouts, I landed my main force at Windsor for the night. At an early hour the next morning a courier from McConnellsville brought intelligence that Morgan was within five miles, on the opposite side of the river, and approaching that place. I moved my command promptly, but upon reaching McConnellsville I ascertained that the enemy was crossing at Eagleport ferry, seven miles above. Before I could accomplish this march he had crossed the river. By taking an unfrequented route over the hills from the river, I succeeded in flanking him, and opening upon him with my artillery. His entire force was thrown into confusion, throwing away their arms, clothing, etc., along the route of his retreat. I followed with infantry and artillery, opening upon him from every available point, until about four o'clock P. M., when General Shackleford's cavalry came in, moving upon Morgan's rear from the left. My forces being completely exhausted, I drew them off, and moved back to the river.

I have the honor to be, Governor, respectfully your obedient servant,

Joseph Hill, Colonel Commanding Second Brigade, Runkle's Division, O. M.

Commander pitch's report.

United States steamer Moose, above Buffington Island, Ohio River, July 19.
To Son. Gideon Welles, Secretary of the Navy:
After chasing Morgan nearly five hundred miles, I at last met him at this point, and engaged and drove him back, capturing two pieces of his artillery, and abandoned the rest to General Judah.

The enemy broke in confusion from the banks, and left his wagon trains, many horses, and small arms in my possession.

Since writing the above, I followed further up the river, and met another portion of Morgan's force fording fourteen miles above; shelled and. drove most of them back. Several were killed, fifteen or thirty wounded, and twenty horses captured. I have but two men wounded slightly.

Our shell and shrapnel created great confusion in the rebel ranks, killing and wounding many.

Leroy Fitch, Lieutenant Commanding.

Captain Oakes's letter.

steamboat Imperial, July 21.
Captain Bowen:
dear sir: We left here on Tuesday last, in the capacity of despatch-boat to the gunboat fleet under command of Commodore Fitch, in pursuit of John Morgan. I think that the credit of the rout and damage of Morgan and his band belongs to the gunboats. The gunboats were on hand at all fording points all along the river, and kept him from crossing, and so checked him until the arrival of our troops completed the work. Morgan came in and camped there during Saturday night, and our forces came up and attacked him during Sunday morning. The gunboat Moose, under command of Commodore Fitch, was anchored at the foot of Buffington, having arrived there on Saturday evening, and, as you are aware, the river is low, and there is but little water in Buffington chute. The night being dark, Commodore Fitch kept his boat at the foot until daylight, when he started up through the chute. Morgan's men made an attempt to plant a cannon on the bank opposite the chute, when Commodore Fitch gave them a shell or two, and they left. Commodore Fitch then went on through the chute, and took his position at the head of the island, and shelled them during the battle, throwing them into confusion and disorder. They then started at full speed up the river road. Commodore Fitch met them at a narrow place in the road, and gave them some more shell, when Morgan abandoned all his guns, wagons, buggies, surplus horses, dry goods, boots, shoes, hardware, etc., of which he had a good supply, and made his escape with what men he had left, and they kept on up the river at such a distance that the gunboat could not reach them. A part of them came in at the head of Belleville Island, numbering one hundred to one hundred and twenty-five men. We had the gunboat Moose in tow, and were at the foot of the island, coming up as fast as we could. Commodore Fitch shelled them while they were in the river fording. We/saw three empty saddles, and got the horses. The balance of this party made their escape into Virginia. We came on up, and at the foot of Belleville bar, saw fourteen more cross, but they were at too great a distance to reach them, and they got over to the Virginia shore, and as we came by, fired at us in ambush; so Commodore Fitch shelled the woods. We went on to the foot of Mustapha, and as we were ahead of them, the; having gone back into the bills, he thought best to return, and landed at Reed's Landing, opposite Belleville, and took on board some rebel horses. These two parties of men are all we saw cross the river. From Reed's we came to head of Bufflngton, and took on what captured cannon, wagons, horses, etc., we could, and got down the chute. We followed the Moose through the chute, and tied up to her at the foot of Buffington Sunday night. On Monday morning, Commodore Fitch ordered us to Cincinnati, at which point we arrived this morning, at one A. M. The other gunboats were at other points all along the river, as Commodore Fitch thought best to station them to guard the ford. I think the credit of this defeat of Morgan is due entirely to [392] the gunboats. I could say a great deal more, but have not time.

Yours respectfully,

Cleveland herald account.

Cleveland, July 27, 1863.
We have already mentioned the fight that took place at Springfield, between Steubenville and Salineville, on Saturday evening. That fight was in reality a blundering attack of one portion of our forces upon another portion of the same. A plan had been laid for the capture of Morgan's entire band. The militia were stationed on a hill overlooking a road which Morgan was expected to traverse, and the cavalry and other regular forces were to occupy positions that would have enabled them to surprise and “bag” the entire rebel command. As the Ninth Michigan cavalry, under Major Way, were moving along the road to take up the position assigned to them, they were mistaken by the militia for the rebels, and were fired into. This of course compelled the cavalry to fall back, and before the error could be retrieved, Morgan and his forces had escaped.

General Brooks, commanding the department, had gone to Wellsville and established his headquarters in the Cleveland and Pittsburgh depot, where he was assisted by the managing officers of the road, who had placed the transportation and telegraphic resources of the road at his disposal. Finding that there was a probability that Morgan would cross the road in the vicinity of Salineville, a train of cars was sent up the road about six o'clock Sunday morning with a regiment of six months Pennsylvania infantry, under command of Colonel Gallagher. These were disembarked at Salineville and marched to a point about two miles distant, where the rebels were expected to cross. The infantry were posted on some rising ground commanding the road, with orders to prevent Morgan's passage.

At this time the utmost, alarm existed among the people of Salineville. The houses were closed, doors and windows locked and barred, and women and children stampeding into the country with whatever portable property could be carried along. The men who had weapons and courage turned out to resist the progress of the dreaded rebel, while all the others fled with the women and children.

In a short time the expected rebels made their appearance, coming around a bend in the road. On catching sight of the infantry they halted, and turned their horses' heads in another direction. Before they could get out of the trap they found themselves in, Major Way, with two hundred and fifty men of the Ninth Michigan cavalry, dashed among them and commenced cutting right and left. The rebels made but a brief resistance. A few shots were fired by them, and then the whole party broke in utter confusion. The scene that followed was almost ludicrous, and could only be matched by the previous stampede at Buffington Island. Men dismount. ed, threw down their arms and begged for quarter, whilst others galloped around wildly in search of a place of escape, and were “brought to time” by a pistol-shot or sabre-stroke.

Morgan himself was riding in a carriage drawn by two white horses. Major Way saw him, and galloping up, reached for him. Morgan jumped out at the other side of the carriage, leaped over a fence, seized a horse, and galloped off as fast as horse-flesh, spurred by frightened heels, could carry him. About a couple of hundred of his men succeeded in breaking away, and following their fugitive leader. In the buggy thus hastily “evacuated” by Morgan were found his “rations,” consisting of a loaf of bread, some hardboiled eggs, and a bottle of whisky.

The number of killed in this fight was much less than at first reported. The number of killed rebels was set down as from twenty to thirty, but this must be overrated, as we cannot learn of more than five or six dead bodies having been found. There was a considerable number of wounded, and about two hundred prisoners taken, together with horses and arms. A special train was sent to Wellsville in the afternoon with about two hundred and fifty prisoners, captured in the fight or picked up in the neighborhood afterward.

A few of our cavalry were wounded, two or three seriously. Lieutenant Fiske was shot through the breast. His wound is dangerous, and he has telegraphed for his wife to come from Michigan.

Morgan and the remainder of his scattered forces pressed three citizens of Salineville into their service as guides, and continued their flight on the New-Lisbon road. One of the impressed guides made his escape and rode back, conveying intelligence of the route taken, which it was believed was with the ultimate design of reaching the Ohio River higher up. Forces were immediately despatched from Wellsville to head him off, whilst another force followed hotly in his rear, and a strong militia force from New-Lisbon came down to meet him.

About two o'clock in the afternoon these various detachments closed in around Morgan in the vicinity of West-Point, about midway between New-Lisbon and Wellsville. The rebels were driven to a bluff, from which there was no escape except by fighting their way through or leaping from a lofty and almost perpendicular precipice. Finding themselves thus cooped, Morgan concluded that “discretion was the better part of valor,” and “came down” as gracefully as the coon did to Davy Crockett. He, with the remainder of his gang, surrendered to Colonel Shackleford, who was well acquainted with the redoubtable “John,” and is said to be a distant relative.

The prisoners were brought back to Wellsville, where their arrival caused great excitement. Morgan retained his side-arms, and moved about freely, although always accompanied by Colonel Shackleford. Last night (Sunday) [393] Morgan and his staff slept at the Whittaker House, in Wellsville, and at two o'clock this morning they, accompanied by Colonel Shackleford and his staff, left on the regular train for Columbus. Later in the morning a special train was to be sent to Columbus with the remainder of the prisoners and their guards.

The militia are constantly bringing into the line of road stray prisoners, picked up in the country. The hills are swarming with armed men hunting for fugitive rebels. Nine of Morgan's party were brought to Bayard Station this morning, who were captured in the neighborhood by the provost-marshal's force. They were taken to Alliance, to be sent from that place to Columbus.

Morgan's men were poorly dressed, ragged, dirty, and very badly used up. Some of them wore remnants of gray uniform, but most of them were attired in spoils gathered during their raid. They were very much discouraged at the result of their raid, and the prospect of affairs generally.

Morgan himself appeared in good spirits, and quite unconcerned at his ill-luck. He is a wellbuilt man, of fresh complexion, and sandy hair and beard. He last night enjoyed for the first time in a long while the comforts of a sound sleep in a good bed, which was some compensation for his otherwise bad luck.

Five companies of Pennsylvania cavalry had been loaded up on the cars of the Cleveland and Pittsburgh road at Pittsburgh on Sunday afternoon, to take part in the chase, but the news of the capture of the entire rebel force rendered their departure unnecessary.

Losses caused by Morgan's raid.

Jackson C. H. Ohio, August 8, 1863.
The Military Committee of this county were engaged seven days in taking testimony as to the losses caused by Morgan's raid. This was done by order of Governor Tod:

The whole number of horses taken by Morgan's men was290
Taken by the Union forces in pursuit46
Average value$90 00
Total,29,700 00
Merchandise, cash, buggies, etc.,16,000 00
Total,$45,700 00

The damage to the Portsmouth and Newark Railroad, and some other items, have not been presented. The entire loss will be nearly fifty thousand dollars.

1 see Doc. 47, page 257, ante.

2 Captain Oakes commanded the steamer Imperial during the Morgan raid.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Wellsville (Ohio, United States) (6)
Lawrenceburg (Indiana, United States) (6)
Salineville (Ohio, United States) (5)
Cincinnati (Ohio, United States) (5)
Ohio (Ohio, United States) (4)
Danville, Ky. (Kentucky, United States) (4)
Buffington (Missouri, United States) (4)
Ohio (United States) (3)
New Lisbon, Ohio (Ohio, United States) (3)
Milton (Missouri, United States) (3)
McConnellsville (Ohio, United States) (3)
Franklin (Ohio, United States) (3)
Buffington Island, Ohio (Ohio, United States) (3)
Windsor, Conn. (Connecticut, United States) (2)
Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania, United States) (2)
Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania, United States) (2)
Michigan (Michigan, United States) (2)
Madison, Ind. (Indiana, United States) (2)
Hickman, Ky. (Kentucky, United States) (2)
Cleveland (Ohio, United States) (2)
Belleville, Ill. (Illinois, United States) (2)
Zanesville, Ohio (Ohio, United States) (1)
West Point (Virginia, United States) (1)
United States (United States) (1)
Trenton (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Steubenville (Ohio, United States) (1)
Springfield, Mo. (Missouri, United States) (1)
Sandusky, Ohio (Ohio, United States) (1)
Salvisa (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Salt River, Mo. (Missouri, United States) (1)
Reeds Landing (Delaware, United States) (1)
Muskingum River (Ohio, United States) (1)
Kentucky River (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Jackson, Jackson County, Ohio (Ohio, United States) (1)
Indiana (Indiana, United States) (1)
Hickman Bridge (Utah, United States) (1)
Harrodsburg (Indiana, United States) (1)
Guilford, Conn. (Connecticut, United States) (1)
Greggs Creek (Oregon, United States) (1)
Champ (Oregon, United States) (1)
Beverly (West Virginia, United States) (1)
Batavia, Ohio (Ohio, United States) (1)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
August 8th, 1863 AD (1)
July 27th, 1863 AD (1)
July 24th, 1863 AD (1)
July 20th, 1863 AD (1)
July 4th, 1863 AD (1)
July 21st (1)
July 19th (1)
July 4th (1)
July (1)
22nd (1)
19th (1)
15th (1)
13th (1)
12th (1)
11th (1)
6th (1)
5th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: