previous next


an equestrian statue of Q. Marcius Tremulus, consul in 306 B.C., erected in front of the temple of Castor and Pollux to commemorate his victory over the Hernici (Liv. ix. 43. 22). It was still standing in Cicero's day (Phil. vi. 13), but had disappeared before the time of Pliny (NH xxxiv. 23). A concrete base in front of the temple of Divus Iulius has been believed to be that of this statue (NS 1904, 106; CR 1904, 330; BC 1904, 178-179 ; Atti 583, 584), but it certainly belongs to the Augustan period (Mitt. 1905, 73, 74; P1. 260, 261; HC 155). To suppose either that so comparatively unimportant a monument would have been restored and placed in front of the new temple, or that, having been restored, it would so soon have disappeared, is almost impossible; and it is far more natural to attribute it to a statue of Caesar himself. See STATUA (LORICATA) DIVI IULII.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
306 BC (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: