previous next
[314] Financial Agent of the Trustees of the Newton Theological Institution. He received the degree of D. D. from Brown University, 1852. Rev. Sumner R. Mason, formerly pastor of the Baptist Church in Lockport, N. Y., entered upon his labors the first Sabbath in March, 1855, and ‘on the 25th of the same month he was publicly recognized by religious services.’ He received the degree of D. D. from Chicago University. His ministry was diligent and successful for somewhat more than sixteen years. It had an unexpected and tragical termination on Saturday evening, Aug. 26, 1871, when a disastrous collision of cars occurred on the Eastern Railroad, at Revere, Mass., by which about thirty persons were killed,1 and a still larger number wounded,—some of them fatally. Among those who were killed outright was Dr. Mason. He died at his post, while engaged in his Master's service; for the object of his journey was to fulfil an engagement to preach the gospel. His mutilated body was identified on the next day, and was interred at Mount Auburn on the following Thursday, after appropriate funeral services in the presence of a great congregation, and in the house where he had so long been a living power.

The present pastor of the church, Rev. Hiram K. Pervear, B. U. 1855, had been pastor of the Second Baptist Church in Cambridge about seven years, and of the First Baptist Church in Worcester nearly eight years, before his public recognition here on the 5th of January, 1873.

The church has had nine Deacons, to wit:—

Elected. Died. Age.
Levi FarwellFeb. 10, 1818May 27, 184460
William Brown2Feb. 10, 1818 June 25, 186175
Josiah Coolidge3July 30, 1844Sept. 13, 187487
George Cummings4Aug. 23, 1844
Josiah W. CookAug. 23, 1844
William B. HoveyJan. 29, 1849July 4, 187175
Joseph A. HolmesJan. 29. 1849
Albert VinalFeb. 19, 1850
Joseph GoodnowOct. 13, 1871

1 Among the killed was Rev. Ezra Stiles Gannett, D. D., born in Cambridge, May 4, 1801, H. C. 1820, for many years colleague-pastor (with Rev. W. E. Channing, D. D.), and afterwards sole pastor of the church now in Arlington Street, Boston.

2 Deacons Brown and Coolidge were ‘dismissed to the Church in Old Cambridge, Aug. 16, 1844.’

3 Deacons Brown and Coolidge were ‘dismissed to the Church in Old Cambridge, Aug. 16, 1844.’

4 Removed to Lancaster in 1850.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: