The Location of the battle Abbey decided. From the News leader, January 1, 1909.
Mrs. Green, whose effective agency in having the Battle Abbey placed in Virginia is justly established, in a communication published in the News-Leader of January 22d, 1908, urged that ‘the proper site for the Southern Mecca should be adjacent to the Confederate Museum, the home of the president of the Confederacy.’ However, after prolonged debate and voting down several substitutes, R. E. Lee Camp, Confederate Veterans, held the same night, adopted by a vote of 27 to 15, the resolution of Adjutant J. Taylor Stratton, recommending that the Confederate Memorial building or ‘Battle Abbey,’ be located at the intersection of Monument Avenue and the Boulevard, or at some point along the Boulevard in that general locality. A suggestion of Attorney General William A. Anderson, that the next legislature be petitioned for a part of the grounds of Lee Camp Soldiers' Home, as a Confederate Memorial Park, with the Abbey in the centre, brought down prolonged applause.  Mr. St. George T. C. Bryan spoke of the difficulty of securing a foundation on the lot offered by the Memorial Literary Society, stating that ‘It is on a hillside overlooking the railroad and manufacturing hollow of the city. All of these hills have a tendency to slide, and it would require the most careful engineering and expensive work to insure permanent foundations, even were the building located on the central school lot.’ Lieutenant-Governor J. Taylor Ellyson, president of the Confederate Memorial Association Trustees of the Battle Abbey fund, told of the formation and work of that association, and reported the fund for the erection of the building as now in hand. He reminded the camp that it was the women of the Confederate Memorial Literary Society who had pushed to conclusion the move to insure the erection of the Abbey by making a municipal appropriation of $50,000. Judge Geo. L. Christian and Lieutenant-Governor Ellyson, as members of the Battle Abbey Board of Trustees, were upon their request, excused from voting.—Ed.