(Kemer) Misia, Turkey.
A port of
great strategic importance on the Hellespont between
Lampsakos and Priapos. The city may have been founded
by Parion, son of Jason, chief of the settlers of Erythrai;
or by the mythic Parilarians, together with colonists from
Erythrai and Miletos.
Parion enjoyed enviable prosperity because of its port;
and once the kingdom of Pergamon was established, it
came under the control of the Attalid dynasty. It passed
to the Romans in 133 B.C. under the testament of Attalos
III, and under Augustus must have been a flourishing
center as the numerous coins coming from Parion designate the city Colonia Pariana Iulia Augusta. Strabo (Geogr. 13.588
) records a colossal altar constructed at Parion by Hermokreon; and we know that prior to 354
B.C. the sculptor Praxiteles executed a statue of Eros there.
B. V. Head, Historia Numorum
M. Grant, From imperium to Auctoritas
20 (1952); D. Magie, Roman Rule in Asia
(1950); L. Robert, Hellenica
9 (1950), 10 (1955),
11-12 (1960); id., Villes d'Asie Mineure
(2d ed. 1962);
L. Laurenzi, Riv. Ist. Naz. Arch. St. Arte
id., Ann. Sc. Arch. Ital. Atene
33-34 (1957); D. Nikolov,
(Sofia) 5 (1963).