previous next

OMBOS (Kom-Ombo) Egypt.

A city on the E bank of the Nile, 168 km S of Thebes. It reached its glory during the Ptolemaic period and became the capital of the Ombite nome, which extended S to Elephantine. Its Graeco-Roman temple is unusual in that it is a double building dedicated to the cults of two gods, Sobek the crocodile god and Haroeris with the falcon's head.


A. Weigall, A guide to the Antiquities of Upper Egypt (1913) 374-90. Plan of the temple on p. 381; Porter & Moss, Top. Bibl., VI. Upper Egypt: Chief Temples (1939) 178-203P; E. Brunner-Traut & V. Hell, Aegypten (1966) 634-37P.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: