(Pallano) Chieti prov., Abruzzo, Italy.
An oppidum of the Frentani or the N Lucani, on the right bank of the Sangro river near Atessa, ca. 900 m above sea level at the summit of Mt.
Pallano. Remains of an imposing fortress have been
found with megalithic walls pierced by three posterulae
very close to the area of easiest access. The site was
sparsely inhabited in the Roman period, when it was
recorded in the land itineraries, as well as in the Middle
Ages. According to a recent theory, the town was the
center of the Lucanians, who sought an alliance with
Rome in 330 B.C. and were subjugated by Scipio Barbatus in 298 B.C. On the slopes of the mountain, near Tornareccio, a 6th c. B.C. limestone statue of a warrior came to light in 1971.
G. Colonna, “Pallanum,” ArchCl
(1955) 164ff; EAA
5 (1963) 896 (G. Colonna); A. La
Regina, Dialoghi di Archeologia
, II (1968) 178ff.