, Strab. iii. p.162
, Ptol. 2.6.55
), a town of the Berones in Hispania Tarraconensis, situated on the Iberus, which here began [p. 2.1259]
to be navigable (Plin. Nat. 2.3. s. 4
), and where also the main road through Spain crossed the river, between Calagurra and Tritium. (Itin. Ant.
p. 393, where, under the name of Verela, the same town is undoubtedly meant.) Usually identified with Varea
(cf. Florez, Cantabr.
p. 198), though some have sought it at Logroño,
and others at Murillo de Rio Leza.