The society was incorporated January 16, 1883, and the late Dr. A. P. Peabody
was chosen president.
He was succeeded by Mr. J. B. Warner
in October, 1884, and by Rev. E. H. Hall
in 1891; after Mr. Hall
's resignation, Rev. Dr. Edward Abbott
was elected president, and now holds the office.
Mr. William Taggard Piper
succeeded Dr. Emerton
as secretary in March, 1882, and he was followed in 1889 by Mr. Arthur E. Jones
, the present secretary.
performed invaluable service as director until his departure for California
, in 1895; and Mr. John Graham Brooks
has made his special knowledge in the field of organized charity and social questions of great advantage in the enlargement of the work now being effected.
In March, 1883, Mr. J. Watson Harris
was appointed paid agent of the society with especial reference to the needs of the Cambridgeport conference; after more than twelve years of faithful service in this capacity, he resigned in November, 1895.
Miss Pear's conscientious and valuable labors continued until her resignation was accepted in February, 1895.
In the following month Mr. Francis S. Child
was installed as general secretary, in charge of the central office, where he has worked with the utmost devotion for the past year, resigning at its close.
Miss Mary L. Birtwell
, who has been registrar for the last six months, succeeds him. Last July the central office was removed to 671 Massachusetts Avenue.
In order to furnish employment to many men who were out of work through no fault of their own, a wood-yard was established on Broadway
, corner of Brewery Street, and was carried on under the supervision of a committee of three directors during the winter of 1893-94.
Since those who were citizens could be employed by the city, men who had not been naturalized were almost the only ones who worked here.
The employment provided enabled them to earn something for themselves and their families, and prevented their receiving alms.
This enterprise was conducted in cooperation with the Citizens' Relief Committee and the Overseers of the Poor, and though, as was expected, it did not succeed financially, it accomplished its purpose industrially.
It was decided to provide, during the winter of 1895-96, a work test in order to discriminate among those who said that they were looking for work, and an opportunity for unskilled labor was furnished at the City Sewer Yard