[p. 30] themselves directly opposite him on the north side of the river. . . [P. 39.]The location above described was the land granted to the Rev. Mr. Wilson, April 1, 1634, and there is not the slightest evidence that Mr. Cradock's men built the house referred to, or that there was any house on the land until after the date of Mr. Wilson's grant. Mr. Cradock's men were then located in what is now Medford square, where the travelers from Salem found them in the summer of 1629.
May 25, 1661.—Richard Russell who had occupied the ‘Mansion House’ five years, sold it, with twelve hundred acres of his land, to Jonathan Wade who lived near the bridge on the south side of the river. [P. 41.]The Jonathan Wade who bought land of Mr. Russell was of Ipswich, and father of Jonathan and Nathaniel Wade of Medford. Neither of the Wades owned land on the south side of the river or lived there.
This tract is now the most thickly settled part of Medford. [P. 42.]This should read the most sparsely settled part of Medford.
Oct. 20, 1656: James Garrett. . . sells for £ 5. to Edward Collins, forty acres of land. . .butting on Mistick Pond on the west. March 13, 1657: Samuel Adams sold to Ed. Collins 40 acres of land. . . bounded on the south by Meadford Farm. . . Paid £ 10. [P. 42.]Neither of these grantors lived in Medford, and the lots were part of the Charlestown wood-lots, and were included in the land sold to Messrs. Brooks and Wheeler in the year 1660. Medford.
March 13, 1675. Caleb Hobart sells to Ed. Collins. . . [P. 42.]This was a mortgage.
Mr. Nicholas Davison. . . who lived near Mr. Wade. . . [P. 42.]Mr. Davison left Medford years before Mr. Wade came here.