accurate plan of the original location of the brook.
Some years before the many clay pits had been excavated, and after the course of the brook had been changed, the writer of this article went over the land to endeavor to locate the old course of the brook and succeeded in locating a good part of the old channel, also in locating the channels through which flowed the waters from the spring under the old brick tower on the Stearns estate and the spring on the lot of land west of College avenue, formerly known as the Pansy
There are culverts under College avenue to allow the flow of water from both of these springs.
The change in the course of the brook was caused by the excavation of the clay pits.
The course of the brook on the south side of the Southern
division of the Boston and Maine railroad has also been changed, it formerly flowed a short distance southeast from its present location.
In the article entitled ‘The Withington Bakery’ in the July number of the Register (No. 3, 1915) may be found a reference to the approximate age of the old buildings demolished lately.
The records show that in the year 1735 the land was conveyed without buildings, and in the year 1755 it was conveyed with a house and shop thereon.
The writer of that part of Mr. Usher
's history therein referred to overshot the mark by about one hundred years.
We have to record the passing of the old house on the corner of Main and Emerson streets.
This house stood on a portion of the Stinted pasture, and the land was deeded by Jonathan Tufts
to Job Richardson
in the year 1731.
The house was probably erected soon after, as it is mentioned in a deed a few years later.
In 1743 it came into the possession of Isaac Royall
, and was a part of his estate at the time of his decease.
In 1827 it came into the possession of Jacob Butters
, and his deed mentions a house and currier's shop.
This house as it was