An old Medford Schoolboy.
On February 10, at New Bedford, there passed away one, a native of Medford
(and whose boyhood days were spent here), who is kindly remembered by his old associates still living.
These lines are not intended as obituary; rather an appreciative mention of one we have never met, or even heard of, till in recent years.
Thomas Meriam Stetson
was the son of Rev. Caleb Stetson
, the second Unitarian
pastor of Medford
's First Parish.
His birth occurred in the house on High street, later the home of Rev. Charles
and Miss Lucy Ann Brooks
, June 15, 1830.
His later boyhood home was the parsonage house, erected on the site of the present St. Joseph
's parochial residence.
His early education was in the schools of Medford
(public and private), and his college course was at Harvard
, graduating there in 1849.
After study in the Dane Law
to the bar in 1854.
His father's pastorate (of twenty-one years) in Medford
closed in 1848, prior to the son's graduation, and this may account for the settlement of this Medford
He began the practise of law in New Bedford, in 1854, associated himself with an eminent and established law firm, and himself attained and maintained high rank.
This is evidenced by the important cases of