‘[p. 42] To be a distinct town of themselves & the name to be Maulden.’1
The celebrated Rev. James Noyes became the pastor and teacher of the inhabitants of Medford in 1634. . . [P. 121.]At the first meeting of the Court of Assistants holden at Charlestown, August 23, A. D. 1630, ‘It was propounded how the ministers should be maintained, Mr. Wilson & Mr. Phillips only propounded.’ November 30, 1630, ‘It is ordered, that there shall be £ 60. collected out of the several plantations,. . . for the maintainance of Mr. Wilson and Mr. Phillips, viz.: Boston, Watertown, Charlton, Roxbury, Meadford, Winnett-semett.’ Here we have the names of the pastors and teachers of six plantations, and Meadford's share of the levy was £ 3. It is not at all reasonable to suppose that Meadford, one of the smaller plantations in the colony, had a pastor and teacher in 1634 in addition to those appointed by the court, and for whose support Meadford had been taxed £ 3. Mr. Brooks' whole argument concerning ‘Medford a Town’ is based upon statements that are not in accordance with facts.
Ecclesiastical History. [P. 200.]In this chapter Mr. Brooks again speaks of Mr. James Noyes as a preacher in Medford in 1634, and in a quotation says, ‘. . . was immediately called to preach at Mistic, which he did for nearly one year.’ It has already been shown that the word Mistic or Mistick was applied to nearly, if not all, the land on both sides of the river, and also that the same name was applied to a settlement and river, now within the limits of the state of Connecticut.
After he left Medford, the inhabitants received religious instructions from Rev. Mr. Wilson and Rev. Mr. Phillips.As has been shown heretofore, Mr. Wilson and Mr. Phillips were appointed the official ministers of six plantations,