previous next


About noon of Wednesday, 4th May, under the orders of Major-General Wilcox, my brigade left their winter quarters on the Rapidan and marched through Orange Courthouse, following General Heth's division down the Plank road towards Fredericksburg. That night we bivouacked near Vediersville. The next morning took up the line of march in the same order; heard skirmishing in [146] front, and about 2 o'clock P. M. reached the point in the Wilderness where the column had halted in the presence of the enemy. Poague's battalion of artillery was in position on an eminence in a little old field on the left of the road. Heavy firing at some distance to our left and front indicated an engagement of General Ewell, who had marched down the turnpike parallel with and between the Plank road and the river. In order, as I supposed, to co-operate with General Ewell, our division left the Plank road at Poague's artillery, and, filing square to the left, advanced about half a mile, and reaching open fields, formed line of battle looking towards the right of General Ewell, then in sight. The brigades of Generals Lane and Thomas advanced some distance. My brigade was formed perpendicular to the line of advance to support it. Whilst in this position a heavy fire of musketry was opened on our right at the Plank road upon the division of General Heth. An officer of Lieutenant-General Hill's staff in a few minutes galloped up, and in the absence of General Wilcox (who was with Generals Lane and Thomas) ordered me to return at once to the Plank road. As the fire was very heavy, I did return hastily without waiting for the orders of Major-General Wilcox. As I approached the point of fire, I met General Lee, who directed me to proceed down the Plank road and report to General Heth, who was conducting the fight. I did so, and was directed by him to deploy my brigade on both sides of the Plank road, and, if possible, drive the enemy down towards the Brock road. I was instructed to put three regiments on the left and two on the right of the road; but as the formation was made under fire, I soon perceived that the enemy pressed heaviest on the right of the road, and I therefore took the liberty to place three regiments on that side. The Twelfth (Colonel J. L. Miller) on the extreme right; on his left the Rifles (Lieutenant-Colonel McDuffie Miller); on the left of the road the Thirteenth (Colonel Brockman); and the Fourteenth (Colonel Brown) on the extreme left. In this order we pressed through the dense undergrowth, and, passing over the line of General Heth, which was lying down, charged the enemy and drove him some distance--four or five hundred yards--the whole extent of our front. A battery in the road fired two or three rounds of grape after the charge commenced, but as we approached the guns (two) were hastily removed (leaving one caisson) down the road by hand, and were not used again. We passed over the dead and wounded of the enemy, and through his lines, until our [147] left struck and crossed a marsh and there was no firing in our front, except a little on our extreme right. The firing on both flanks and to our rear still continuing very heavy, I halted the brigade; and as the firing seemed closing in behind us, information of our position was given to General Wilcox, who directed the brigade to be withdrawn through the gap made. On our return, the enemy was so near the road on both sides that their balls crossed each other. They pressed so close to the road on the left that I sent a part of the brigade in to drive them back, where they found General Thomas engaging them. It was now sundown, and this portion of the brigade remained with General Thomas all night. The remaining portion was massed on the road to the left of General Thomas. Night closed in and the firing ceased, both sides retaining the ground on which they had fought.

In this charge the brigade behaved extremely well. They drove the enemy at all points and captured some prisoners. If our force had been sufficient to drive the enemy in the same way along the whole front, the bloodshed of the next day might possibly have been prevented.

The night of the 5th was an anxious one. The troops stood to their arms all night in the same broken order in which they were at the close of the fight; the line, if any, was something like an irregular horse-shoe--no two brigades touching each other. They had made a good march in the forenoon of that day, and then had fought until after dark. Hungry, thirsty and fatigued, they had to pass a sleepless night, during the long hours of which the enemy could be distinctly heard in the thick covert of the Wilderness making arrangements to envelop them. It was expected that we would be relieved about daylight by General Longstreet's corps, and hence, I suppose, the line was not readjusted; but as the day began to dawn without any appearance of relief, and as I believed from many indications that the enemy would attack us as soon as they could see, I sent for the portion of the brigade left with General Thomas and formed line of battle at an angle with the Plank road and facing the enemy on that (the left) side of the road. As soon as it was light enough, the enemy could be seen moving on our front, rear and right, completely enveloping us, except up the Plank road in the direction from which they had come. At the request of General Thomas, who was to my right and already nearly cut off, I advanced my brigade to shove the enemy farther from the road and prevent him from being entirely surrounded. [148] Whilst I was advancing and driving the enemy's skirmishers, I saw a brigade retiring in haste and confusion up the road in my rear. A moment after, I saw Thomas rolling up from the right and also passing in my rear, pressed by the enemy coming up the road. My brigade, fighting the enemy in front, and being thus uncovered upon the right and rear, seeing all the other troops retiring and themselves in danger of being surrounded and captured, also began to roll up from the right and fell back a short distance in confusion. It was mortifying, but under the circumstances could not be helped. The left regiment, the Rifles, remained unbroken and came off in good order. The brigade was not demoralized or panic stricken, but acted from necessity. They reformed at once in rear of Poague's artillery, which opened upon and checked the advancing enemy. At this moment the enemy had even flanked the eminence where the artillery stood — their balls reaching that position from the south side of the road, and Lieutenant-General Hill directed me to cross the road and drive them back. I obeyed at once, and in crossing the road came for the first time in contact with General Longstreet's forces, then just coming up. Soon after, I was directed to recross the road and proceed to the left and endeavor to open communication with the right of General Ewell. We drove the enemy's sharpshooters from a house and had a sharp skirmish, but in a short time succeeded in connecting with the right of General Ewell. We here threw up breastworks and lay upon our arms the remainder of the day.

In these operations I am grieved to have to report that our loss was heavy, being an aggregate of 481 killed and wounded, including 43 missing. A full statement of casualties has already been rendered. Colonel John L. Miller, Lieutenant J. R. McKnight and Lieutenant J. A. Garvin, of the Twelfth; Lieutenant S. L. Wier, of the Thirteenth; Lieutenant B. J. Watkins and Lieutenant J. H. Tolar, of the Rifles, were killed; and Lieutenant-Colonel E. F. Bookter, Lieutenant J. A. Watson, of the Twelfth; Lieutenant B. S. Howard, Lieutenant H. H. Heise, Captain Josiah Cox, Captain John G. Barnwell, Lieutenant L. G. Bellot and Captain W. A. Kelly, of the First; Lieutenant J. A. Beard, of the Thirteenth; Major H. H. Harper and Captain J. W. McCarly, of the Fourteenth, and Lieutenant J. H. Robins, Captain R. Junkin, Lieutenant J. R. Saddle, Lieutenant T. B. Means, of the Rifles, were wounded. [149]

We remained at the trenches in the Wilderness until Sunday afternoon, 8th May, when we marched by the right flank towards Spotsylvania, bivouacked that night near Shady Grove church, and reached the Courthouse on Monday morning the 9th. We were put into position by Major-General Wilcox on the right of our line in the suburbs of the village, and immediately threw up a breastwork. There we remained with more or less skirmishing until the 12th. Thursday morning the 12th was dark and rainy, and at a very early hour a tremendous fire of artillery and musketry was heard on the line to our left. We were moved along the breastwork towards the left until we reached a sharp angle in the works near a brick kiln, opposite to which the enemy had established a battery. I threw the sharpshooters into a wood to our front and right to pick off the gunners and horses. There we remained until about 9 o'clock A. M., when I was directed to march with my brigade and report to General Ewell, who directed Major-General Rodes to put me in on the right of his line to support General Harris and assist in filling up the gap which had been made by the capture of Major-General Johnson and a part of his command.

At this place our line of works made a sharp angle, pointing towards the enemy, which angle the enemy held in great force, besides having the woods and ravine in front occupied by multitudes, who seemed to be as thick as they could stand. The right of my brigade extended some distance up the left side of the angle, and rested on nothing but the enemy, who held the point and some portion (I never knew how much) of the right side of the angle. Besides having no support on my right, this part of my line was enfiladed from the point of the angle and the gap held by the enemy. In getting into this trench we had to pass through a terrific fire. I was wounded, and know nothing of what occurred afterwards from personal observation. I am informed that the brigade found in the trenches General Harris and what remained of his gallant brigade, and they (Mississippians and Carolinians mingled together) made one of the most gallant and stubborn defences recorded in history. These two brigades remained there holding our line without reinforcements, food, water or rest, under a storm of balls which did not intermit one instant of time for eighteen hours. The trenches on the right of the bloody angle ran with blood, and had to be cleared of the dead bodies more than once. To give some idea of the intensity of the fire, an oak tree, [150] twenty inches in diameter, which stood just in rear of the right of the brigade, was cut down by the constant scaling of musket balls, and fell about twelve o'clock Thursday night, injuring by its fall several soldiers of the First South Carolina regiment. The brigades mentioned held their position from ten o'clock Thursday morning until four o'clock Friday morning, when they were withdrawn by order to the new line established in rear.

The loss in my brigade was very heavy, especially in killed,--eighty-six (86) killed on the field; two hundred and forty-eight (248) wounded, many of whom have since died; one hundred and seventeen (117) missing, doubtless captured. Our men lay on one side of the breastworks and the enemy on the other, and in many instances men were pulled over. It is believed that we captured as many prisoners as we lost. Among the casualties are Lieutenant-Colonel W. P. Shooter and Lieutenant E. C. Shooter, Lieutenant J. B. Blackman and Lieutenant J. R. Faulkenburg, of the Twelfth; Colonel B. T. Brockman and Captain J. R. Brockman, of the Thirteenth; Lieutenant A. M. Scarborough and Lieutenant H. R. Hunter, of the Fourteenth, and Captain G. W. Fullerton, of the Rifles, killed; Colonel C. W. McCreary, Lieutenant A. F. Miller, Lieutenant James Armstrong, Captain W. A. Kelly and Lieutenant W. R. Tharin, of the First; Lieutenant W. B. White and Captain Stover, of the Twelfth; Captain J. Y. McFall and Lieutenant W. J. Rook, of the Thirteenth; Captain G. W. Culbertson, Lieutenant J. M. Miller, Lieutenant E. Brown, Captain E. Cowan and Captain J. M. McCarly, of the Fourteenth; Captain L. Rogers, Captain R. S. Cheshire, Lieutenant L. T. Reeder, Lieutenant A. Sinclair and Lieutenant-Colonel G. McD. Miller, of the Rifles, wounded. In all these operations I take pleasure in acknowledging the great assistance of my staff. Major A. B. Wardlaw, Brigade Commissary, Major Harry Hammond, Brigade Quartermaster, Lieutenant C. G. Thompson, Ordnance Officer, were active and efficient in their appropriate departments. Captain L. C. Haskell, A. A. General, and Lieutenant G. Allen Wardlaw, Aid-de-Camp, were everywhere in the field of battle where duty and honor called. Both of these officers had their horses killed under them in the Wilderness, and were always conspicuous for coolness and gallantry.

I have the honor to be, Major, very respectfully,

Your obedient servant,

S. Mcgowan, Brigadier-General. To Major J. A. Engelhard, Assistant Adjutant-General, Wilcox's Light Division.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
May 8th (2)
May 4th (2)
1st (2)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: