Site in Lycia or Caria,
almost certainly at Inlice Asarl, 19 km N of Fethiye and
6 km E of Göcek. Strabo (651
) calls it the beginning
of the Rhodian Peraea, and the Stadiasmus
places it 50
stades from Telmessos; Livy (37.22
), relating its liberation from siege by Antiochos III in 190 B.C., calls it a
fortress of the Peraea. It is listed also by Pliny, Ptolemy,
and Stephanos Byzantios. It stood on the border of Lycia
and Caria, and is attributed now to one, now to the other.
A dedication in Doric by a Rhodian official, stated to
have come from Inlice, shows that this region must have
been incorporated Rhodian territory in the 2d c. B.C.
There is naturally no coinage, nor does the ethnic or
demotic occur in any inscription.
On the main acropolis hill is a ring wall of good ashlar, and inside this a small fort and a circular cistern,
also house foundations and rock-cuttings. On a ridge
lower down to the E is a wall of large irregular blocks.
There are several Lycian rock-tombs, a few sarcophagi,
and many pigeon-hole tombs cut in the rock face, mostly
inaccessible. Beside the main Fethiye road below the site
is a fine Doric rock-cut temple tomb.
C. Fellows, Lycia
(1840) 101-4 (wrongly identified with Kalynda); Hoskyn, Journal of the
Royal Geographical Society
12 (1842) 146; W. Arkwright, JHS
15 (1895) 94f; TAM
II.1, p. 53; P. Roos,
9 (1969) 91-92.
G. E. BEAN