A Roman marching camp 6 km NW of Stonehaven. Irregular
in plan and ca. 660 by 540 m, it had six gates protected
by titula. The rampart and ditch are not uniform throughout, being much more substantial at the N corners and
along the E side. Excavation in 1914 produced no datable
finds, but the size of the camp identifies it as one of a
series believed to have been built during the late Severan
campaigns in N Britain.
Proc. Soc. Ant. Scotland
50 (1916) 317-48; JRS
59 (1969) 118-19.
K. A. STEER